HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:42 AM
Indio, CA.
Joined Sep 2005
511 Posts
Mini-Review
GWS Funny Park Flyer

I got a GWS funny park flyer with a geared 400. It flies very good on the stock power system, and I am getting 10 plus minute flights on a 3s 910 battery, it cruises very nicely at a shade over half throttle.

It's a bit light for winds over about 5 mph, but it is a very well mannered lazy flyer and does basic areobatics. I'd recommend it as a nice lazy day flyer or an aileron trainer.

Just my .02
mlh1961 is offline Find More Posts by mlh1961
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2007, 02:43 AM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Funny fun

Two guys in the club fly Funnies...I liked the way they flew but didn't like the short nose/added weight most of 'em use,so I kit bashed a slope FP into a Funny-Wulf fighter....straight wing & extended frontal area.Flys good..
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Old May 02, 2007, 04:34 AM
Indio, CA.
Joined Sep 2005
511 Posts
Very nice.

I was going to flatten the wing on mine, but a flying buddy wanted it, so I gave it to him. It is still a great flying plane. I burned up the stock 400 brushed motor, so I replaced it with a Park 400 4200Kv, geared 5.3 to 1.

I didn't have any CG issues. Prior to building it I just hogged out the battery compartment to allow the battery to be pushed all the way forward. It balances dead on with 3s batteries from 910 to 2100.

have fun
mlh1961 is offline Find More Posts by mlh1961
Old May 03, 2007, 07:14 AM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Funny-Wulf..

Thanks...it is a good little plane for $26 (slope kit) & it's hard to beat.A few hours of modding makes it a much better flyer.I used 1/8 CF rod in the wing and then taped & shrunk it before covering with Nelsons dark green lite stuff.Added 1.62 inch scrap computer foam to the fuse frontal area (gets the CG forward...clay stick not needed)add a 2015 Himaxx with B gearing & 3 cell PQ pack for 140 watts...plenty of power for 17 oz. Funny-Wulf.Ain't foam fun..??
Old May 03, 2007, 10:50 AM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
I am using a lipo with mine. I also hogged out the foam to push the C/G forward. Now I find the battery got a bit warm from flight. Cut into the foam from above and added an air scoop.
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old May 05, 2007, 09:48 AM
Northfield Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
483 Posts
Dan:
How does your Funny Park fly with the flat wing? I have a Funny Park and love it but it will not do outside loops. I think because of the dihedral in the wings. Also how much did you extend the nose? I am thinking about getting another Funny Park and doing your modifications.

Thanks
Roger
rogerl is offline Find More Posts by rogerl
Old May 05, 2007, 12:48 PM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Funnypark mods

Rodger,I'd say go for it...it does all the usual manuvers,loops & rolls...it will outside loop 'cause I did it a few times.I think it flys better with the straight wing,I did fly a stock FP and didn't like it.The 1.62 inch extended front makes it track a bit better also....I added some rudder mix into the ailerons so the turns are nice,just a bit of elevator input usually.BTW,the mods I did are very easy,just mark & cut off the front about 5/8 from the wing saddle...then add some scrap foam to the front,I used 1/8 wood dowels inserted into the front foam,gorilla glued the front back on....then taped along the fuse sides & all over the wing(fg tape spanwise on the wing),then shrunk it.Now it's build like a brick outhouse...so when I install a 300 watt system,it will take it without coming apart.It would be interesting to make a Funny ZERO or maybe Thunderbolt.
Old May 05, 2007, 03:20 PM
Northfield Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
483 Posts
Thanks for the info. I waas going to add the foam to the front where the motor mounts but what you did makes more sense. Now you do not have to mess with the motor or the cowel mount. I made a scratch built Piper Arrow that I mounted the Funny Park wing to. With the longer nose it needed no nose weight to make it balance. It flies similar to the Funny Park. There is a Funny Park in the sale rack at the local hobby shop might have to pick it up and do some mods.

Thanks
Roger
Old May 06, 2007, 09:27 AM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
That Piper Arrow is beautiful.
Old May 06, 2007, 02:50 PM
Northfield Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
483 Posts
Thanks, it was my first attempt at a scratch built foamy. I built it after I built the Funny Park. I found a drawing of the Piper Arrow on the internet and then scaled it to the Funny Park wing size. I glued together a block of pink and blue foam. I then layed the patterns on the top and bottom of the block and cut it out. I then split it in half and hollowed out the inside. The cowel is from the GWS E-Starter. I would like to do the wing mod that Dan did it might make it fly even better.

Thanks
Roger
Old May 07, 2007, 04:28 AM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Well done roger, well done.