HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:17 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
Discussion
A bigger wing

Hi guys, not lazy just not IT literate LoL. Trying to find any thread of slow flying wings. Tried my best but failed !. Can any one put me on the right track. Due to age I would like some thing 48inches or more if possible. Got some 6mm Depron ready to go. Thank you FB3.. Ps how does one look for some thing specific on the forum ? Cheers
Fly Boy3 is offline Find More Posts by Fly Boy3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:12 AM
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Jan 2014
101 Posts
I'd suggest looking at http:// www.crashtesthobby.com
Lee has wings from 26-78" that are extremely durable and easy to build. Not sure if thats what you are looking for but hope it helps.
therevoman is offline Find More Posts by therevoman
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:19 AM
Joined Apr 2013
462 Posts
Not sure if you're doing a flat plate simple thing or what, but doing this one below with one engine and battery (instead of two) will get you super slow (very light wing loading). It can pretty much crawl along at walking speed.

The first video is the flight.
The second video is a discussion of the design.

The description/comments in youtube give more detail, but here are the basics specs:

Wing Loading: 7 ounces per square foot
All Up Weight: 41 ounces
Aspect Ratio: 2.4
Span: 45 inches
Chord: 19 inches
Motors: Turnigy D2386/8, 1100 kV
Props: 10 x 4.5

My single goal here was to achieve vertical take-off and transition to horizontal (and controllable) flight.
I also used a piece of foam that just happened to be that exact rectangular dimension. I guess I could add on strakes that go from the plywood tongue to the leading edge to make it prettier - but that's more weight (always trade-offs with this stuff).
Besides, the ugliness factor actually adds to its mystique for me

Flight of RC vertical take-off twin engine (1 min 3 sec)

Tips for RC vertical take-off, twin engine (6 min 23 sec)

Also, if you're interested in a traditional, near equilateral triangle delta style, there are probably scores of designs on this site alone, but you can check out my youtube site for the one I did (with a canard for better high alpha):

Mods for RC Mirage-style delta for improved high-alpha handling (4 min 31 sec)
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:07 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy3 View Post
Hi guys, not lazy just not IT literate LoL. Trying to find any thread of slow flying wings. Tried my best but failed !. Can any one put me on the right track. Due to age I would like some thing 48inches or more if possible. Got some 6mm Depron ready to go. Thank you FB3.. Ps how does one look for some thing specific on the forum ? Cheers
When I need to find something specific on RC Groups , I do a Google search . For example , I Googled " slow flying wing RC Groups " and this is one of the results I got .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65870

Here is a video of one of the later posts in that thread .

Slowly Indoor Glider (4 min 51 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:32 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
You might search the divinity wing. That was a slow fly kfm3 I think. Check it out search the scratchbuild forum
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:38 AM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
Here it is here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=divin
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:24 PM
Flys Like A Brick
Washington, MI
Joined Nov 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
There is also a second thread for the original 42" Divinity. Both are very nice flying.
Bob_B is online now Find More Posts by Bob_B
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:52 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
Thanks all for your help. It was exactly what I needed. Nuetman, very impressed with the vertical take off. LoL. and thanks for Google advice from balsa or carbon. Did use this but ommitted "RC groups" from title. Ha Ha dull man I am. Thanks all again.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:36 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,624 Posts
A better way to search something on rcgroups is like this:
slow flying wing site:rcgroups.com
Then you'll get results only from rcgroups.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:19 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
310 Posts
Thanks DJacob7, I new I would get all the help I needed in this forum. Thanks very much, FB3