HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:49 PM
United States, IN, Kempton
Joined Dec 2011
36 Posts
Discussion
Soon to be Eagle Scout's first RC car

I have been involved with the RC hobby for the past couple years and in that time I built over 10 airplanes and a quadcopter. My involvement with RC made me join an RC club and now I have chosen to make an offroad RC track as my Eagle Scout project. I live in the middle of a corn field and after the farmers come to harvest the crops there is this large area I can use to fly or drive. I want to get an RC car that is good for the fields and can be upgraded to drive faster as I improve. I have been looking at the Traxxas Summit 1/10 scale and am thinking about getting it because of its durability, ability to move through rough terrain with ease, and the many people who say they would never sell it. I am not sure if I should get the 1/16 scale or 1/10 scale or a different car. I want to keep the price limit under $550 but am willing to raise it a little if I need to.
RyanF121 is offline Find More Posts by RyanF121
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:03 PM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Nov 2007
1,436 Posts
I would say the 1/10 Summit is about the perfect rig for the conditions you're going to be driving in.
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:43 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
I agree, the 1/10 (more of a 1/8th) Summit is a perfect fit for the conditions you mentioned. It can also be made (easily) to go very fast.

Look around here http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=379

Brushless would be the way to go. The E-Revo BL is very similar and shares a lot of parts with the Summit, but is generally faster and very capable also.

And here http://traxxas.com/forums/index.php

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
36 Posts
Thanks. How does the E-revo BL compare to the summit with looks aside? Can it still go over plants as well as the summit? I know it might seem like an odd question but it's because the farmer's machinery can't cut the corn crops below a foot from the ground and they tend to harden into something like sticks pointing up out of the ground. Does anybody have both?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:48 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
I have a custom erevo brushless that I built and its a monster off road I have a summit body on it summit driveshafts and rpm arms and rpm bumpers and proline trencher tires...lets put it this way I built a hybrid but did not use the summit duffs because the brushless is hard on those and I run 4 to 5s in my truck and its great so either truck will make you happy but you should build one instead of buying her
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
36 Posts
How much did it cost to build it custom? Is it cheaper if you order the parts and put it together or is it cheaper to buy the completed thing? I don't have a driving radio or anything that I would need to run it except for a hitec X2 Ultima charger.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:08 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Building from parts will cost much more than buying the pre-built one.

The e-revo is better for blasting around at high speeds, but the summit is more versatile and has more features (locking diffs, two speed gearbox, etc). Speed will be limited by terrain with both vehicles (can't do 50mph on bumpy ground).
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:32 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
If you want all custom buy a rolling chasis or a used rig and rehab it

And you can do more than 50 its just more prone to get airborne
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:17 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
You honestly believe you can do 50mph+ on bumpy terrain?? I'd love to see that.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:38 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You honestly believe you can do 50mph+ on bumpy terrain?? I'd love to see that.
He didn't say how it would land after getting airborne...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:10 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
A good driver can just skip across the top of the bumps.........geez!
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Aug 01, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
36 Posts
I know first hand that it's hard to drive on a corn field when they have recently harvested. I rode the minibike over it and it was fishtailing so much that I had to stop a few times. Towards the end I also found a newly dug drain tile with my front tire. That one hurt.
Old Aug 02, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
36 Posts
I found a good deal on a summit. There is a guy in my state who wants $500 for a lot of 3 cars. This includes a 1/10 summit, a 3.3 tmaxx, and a 3.3 jato. How hard do you think it would be to sell the jato for $300? They're all used.