Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,435 Posts
Suggestion
Spammers draining username pool?

Having just reported another batch of off-topic spammers, a thought occured to me..

I suppose they are permabanned and thus the username they used will become unavailable for new members? As the spammers are trying to blend in, they are using usernames that a legitimate new user might like to choose (just one random example: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=439161), but can't since it has already been "wasted". At a rate of half a dozen spammers per day, how many years will it take until all meaningful usernames have been used up?

Yeah, I know the probability is extremely low and most likely nothing needs to be done, I just thought you might like to be aware of this.

Oh, btw, how about getting rid of that 60 sec delay while reporting OT spam?
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
812 Posts
Hi there,

The spammers often choose unusual or undesirable names, we haven't received any complaints
that were specifically tied to a user name that had been a spammer.

Regarding the 60 second delay, we are currently working on better ways to report spam. Stay tuned for some improvements in the near future!
awagar is offline Find More Posts by awagar