HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
Registered User
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
Discussion
Tf model independed taildrive system

Hi guys

Anyone of you that are running this system on the tail,seems nice to be able
To skip problems adjusting mech to the tail also no more belt or torqtube adjustment,just wonder if somebody can give a input.

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:26 AM
Registered User
Horseman's Avatar
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
618 Posts
Hi Jack,

It seems indeed a good solution and I'm considering still this option for my BlackHawk, but Me is also promised a angled tail unit from microhelis to try and thats one is smaller but will also not fit perfect in the BlackHawk tail.
The TF unit will also not fit easily but it is possible.
However I cant find any reviews about this tail unit except a good review from Kin when he tested it in a 800 size seahawk
But then he worked with TF models.
I have not seen some Independent review (sorry Kin)

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:41 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
This system is used in the Gazelle and BT, as seen from vids it seems ok, as you say Jan,a indepened rewiev would be nice.

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:13 PM
kin
Registered User
Joined Sep 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi Jack,

It seems indeed a good solution and I'm considering still this option for my BlackHawk, but Me is also promised a angled tail unit from microhelis to try and thats one is smaller but will also not fit perfect in the BlackHawk tail.
The TF unit will also not fit easily but it is possible.
However I cant find any reviews about this tail unit except a good review from Kin when he tested it in a 800 size seahawk
But then he worked with TF models.
I have not seen some Independent review (sorry Kin)

Jan,
No problem Jan . it is one of idea to solve the raise tail system problem . the belt drive is gone . all the mechanic is going to TT in this generation .For a beginner to build a belt drive or TT drive system maybe not easy to them . Tail motor system is one easy to build and no need maintenance , because it just a motor and a long shaft .just check the motor E clip .because one side of the rudder control will input some side force to the motor bearing and the E clip lock .So for a beginnner is very good idea ! just the motor you can see outside the fuselage ! the motor drive is control with a separate esc and a small battery 2-3s lipo . So if the front esc and the tail esc have two different starting time . the tail motor also start to run first , because the tail rotor is very smaller than the main rotor , it must running first .The setting is better in a idal-up . let the tail motor keep in a stable speed .and then the main motor start to run . it is easy to put a Y cord to let two speed control input signal together . of couse you can make a AUX channel . Aux channel is good idea , because you can set the starting timming . because the tail rotor and the main rotor start different timming . and a little mistake is the weight . the motor mount in the end of the tail boom and 3 piece a meter long motor cable . it effect a little the c/g balance . The tail motor each flight 5-6 min use about 1300-1400 mah . so you use a 4000 mah 2or 3 s batter can have two flight . of cuse can not share the main battery 6-8s battery , it is too high votlage for tail rotor ,i think seahawk for this tail motor drive is good ! because the tail gear cover have big space enough .
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:24 PM
Registered User
Horseman's Avatar
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
618 Posts
Hi Kin,

Thanks for your kind explanation of this unit.
So do you think that the TF setup are much heavier than the raised tail unit (I mend the Smartmodels unit .

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Last edited by Horseman; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:49 PM
kin
Registered User
Joined Sep 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi Kin,

Thanks for your kind explanation of this unit.
So do you think that the TF setup are much heavier than the raised tail unit.?

Jan,
which kind of raise tail unit ?? My SM1 or the market kit wooden former +belt +bearing ......?? The weight lighter is the old traditional belt drive +wooden former version . The SM-1 compare with the TF motor drive is not must big different weight i think . i have no scale it weight . but hand feeling is very close . the motor with the meter cable +esc + extra battery pack . SM-1 is tail boom tube +cnc raise tail gear box + orginal tail gear box and a short tail boom .i think not big different . But the motor drive system have a little strange sound when you have rubber control . the tail motor have sound change when it have different loading . the sound is a little v-wu v-wu when the gyro working with the tail pitch .thr tail pitch back to 0 the sound is V , when it load with large pitch , the sound is WU .it is normal .Just you conside it is acceptable ! the belt drive and SM-1 is traditional same timming (synchronous). it is same the real helicopter .
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:17 PM
Registered User
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
Regarding of what i think in my next scale im gone try this setup,the price seems fair for the unit and also the Tf non tail mechanics seems very intrestning,the bad thing is that it has to be maiden with the scalebody on and if to not risk whole project it has to be mounted in before painting,scaledetailing etc is done and testflown.

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
kin
Registered User
Joined Sep 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Söderberg View Post
Regarding of what i think in my next scale im gone try this setup,the price seems fair for the unit and also the Tf non tail mechanics seems very intrestning,the bad thing is that it has to be maiden with the scalebody on and if to not risk whole project it has to be mounted in before painting,scaledetailing etc is done and testflown.

Cheers
Jack
Yes ! it is not much risk in the system , just conside the battery pack have different cell and scale look .so far is ok !
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:35 AM
Scale or Bust (mostly bust!)
FerretMaster's Avatar
United States, AZ, Casa Grande
Joined Dec 2010
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi Kin,

Thanks for your kind explanation of this unit.
So do you think that the TF setup are much heavier than the raised tail unit (I mend the Smartmodels unit .

Jan,
Jan, I have the SmartModel 500 size raised tail TT drive system and it comes in at 272g. This includes all the bits and pieces from the front transmission to the tail rotor and includes the tail rotor blades.
FerretMaster is offline Find More Posts by FerretMaster
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:46 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
Kin...so if om understand right,the imds system always start the tailrotor first?

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:24 AM
kin
Registered User
Joined Sep 2007
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Söderberg View Post
Kin...so if om understand right,the imds system always start the tailrotor first?

Cheers
Jack
Yes ! even you have Y cord to let the signal together , the tail motor is also less loading than the main motor . so it will runing first ,But it better than the main rotor power up first than the tail motor . if the main rotor power up first(faster than the tail motor) . The fuselage spin in the ground you may crash your fuselage in ground. so it must let the tail start first , of couse the traditional drive system when you have hard fast start , it also spin in grond , because the tail speed still not enough . so this IMDA need sure the starting time is tail motor first is safty .
kin is offline Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:37 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
Thx kin,ordered one for evaluation,the thought is very interstning!

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:33 AM
Registered User
Horseman's Avatar
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin View Post
Yes ! even you have Y cord to let the signal together , the tail motor is also less loading than the main motor . so it will runing first ,But it better than the main rotor power up first than the tail motor . if the main rotor power up first(faster than the tail motor) . The fuselage spin in the ground you may crash your fuselage in ground. so it must let the tail start first , of couse the traditional drive system when you have hard fast start , it also spin in grond , because the tail speed still not enough . so this IMDA need sure the starting time is tail motor first is safty .
Hi Kin,

But when the main rotor spools to a stop the tail rotor is stopped already maybe causing the heli to turn on the ground , so I think its better to put the tail rotor ESC on a ext channel and let it run till the main is stopped.

I will order also one,

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:09 AM
Registered User
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Hi Kin,

But when the main rotor spools to a stop the tail rotor is stopped already maybe causing the heli to turn on the ground , so I think its better to put the tail rotor ESC on a ext channel and let it run till the main is stopped.

I will order also one,

Jan,
This was also on my mind but when spooling down there almost negative pitch inputted so this should not be a problem, for ex if landing on conrete and the tailrotor is running and accidently putting pitch on on the tail the heli can turn around if using skids and tail is running constant speed.

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:37 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,494 Posts
At spooling down, you don't need the tail rotor, because there is no torque anymore that needs compensating.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log TF Model /Smart Model Apache AH-64 Build & Detailing JayNZ Scale Helicopters 174 Jul 31, 2013 01:17 AM
Discussion TF Model's new website wilerbee Scale Helicopters 13 Sep 20, 2012 06:17 PM
Discussion Independent Telemetry System? acetech09 Radios 6 Sep 06, 2012 12:23 PM
Sold HPI TF-40 3 Channel 2.4 Pistol Grip Radio System. jafo216 Cars - Accessories (FS/W) 1 Aug 28, 2012 04:50 PM
Sold TF Models 70mm Hawk swps Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 May 26, 2012 12:37 PM