HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Discussion
Setup Turnigy 9x with Align Trex 100x

So I just got a new Turnigy 9x to use with my 100x.
I am new the whole Heli hobby and well this remote is out of this world!

Wondering if anyone can help me set it up?
Like pretty much from scratch as its my first time with this remote and its scary looking haha.
SavellM is offline Find More Posts by SavellM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
Here are some of my basic settings for TRex 100x:

SYSTEM SETTING
TYPE SELE
_HELI
__HELI 1
MODEUAT
_PPM
STICK SET
_MODE2
__THRO REVERSE? (I hit exit at this point)

FUNC SETTING
REVERSE
_reverse ELE (set to REV), leave everything else normal (NOR)
THR/CV
_an ok curve is L(0%) 1(46.0%) 2(53.0%) 3(60.0%) H(100%), but you can fine tune it as you go.
_you can set 3 diff curves, change position of the [AUX 3]F MODE[MIX] switch while in this menu to adjust them.
E.POINT
_can be set up to 120% (only change AIL and ELE for now)
_I set AIL to 115% in both directions, ELE to 120% up, 100% down (personal pref)
THR HOLD
_STATE ACT
_HOD POS -30%
AUX-CH
_CH5 GEAR
FAIL SAF
_THR F/S 000% (personal pref)
TIMER
_STATE ACT
_MIN 5
_SEC 30
GYROSENS
_STATE ACT
_UPRATE NOR 030 (personal pref)
_DOWNRATE AVC 075 (personal pref)
_MODEL GY

There are more settings, like setting mixes and dual-rates, but this should get you going for a bit.

In this setup:
THR CUT switch (back left) will stop the motor from spinning, regardless of throttle position.
TRN switch (back right) starts a timer of 5:30. It will start beeping at 4:30, and end after 5:30. (most of my batteries last 5:30-6:00 flights). Don't run your batteries till dead. A battery can be ruined by a single flight this way.
GEAR switch (right side, in front of TRN) will switch your gyro mode from HH mode to rate mode. I'd leave it as is for now.

Lastly, when firing up the heli for the first time, consider turning throttle trim all the way down. Then once powered up, turn throttle trim up until the motor starts to move, and back it down 2 clicks or so. (I've had helis at launch at full throttle after binding because throttle was set too high or wasn't reversed properly.)

Good luck with your 9x!

EDIT: Changed throttle setting from REV to NOR. I checked my settings and I had not reversed the throttle. Not sure why I asked to reverse it. Maybe its the THRO REVERSE? question. I'll have to poke around some.
larrydust is offline Find More Posts by larrydust
Last edited by larrydust; Sep 06, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Changed incorrect info.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Thanks Larry thats awesome and exactly what I need!
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Hey Larry.

So I had to put the ELE and THR back to Norm as in Rev it was only going up when throttle was up...

Also I have an issue where, on the Aileron is far right, it is accelerating the heli.
As in no throttle, go far right and it starts spinning.

Also its popping off the swashplate link at the back, the one thats not cliped in, but just back.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
Try setting end points (E.POINT) back to 100%. That may help with the guide pin popping out of its slot.

The throttle response under right aileron is wierd. Go into the function settings and pull up DISPLAY (it's on the 2nd page). Watch the throttle channel as you add aileron. Is there a change in throttle? (There shouldn't be.)

If there is a change, it's possible that a mix is on. Go into the function settings and pull up PRO<123> (2nd page). Check that all three have the STATE set to INH (inhibit), this will turn them off.

If the mixes are already off, then... you might have a bad board on the heli, or possibly a bad transmitter. Is it possible to upload some pics or, even better, a video, so that we might have some better solutions for you?

Another thing you can try is to recalibrate the 9x's sticks. There is a specific procedure to doing it (and it's not stated in the manual iirc), but I don't remember it at the moment. I'll dig around and see if I can find the procedure.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Hey Larry thanks for the help.

So I set the E.Point back to 100% and didnt help.
Here is a video of the display when pressing right.
http://youtu.be/J892Mli88zc

I have also found and done the Re-Calibration of the sticks (hopefully I did it correctly)
Last edited by SavellM; Sep 06, 2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
26 Posts
That looks like a bad transmitter to me.

Switch to a different flight profile, try one of the default ones. (Under SYSTEM SETTING > MODE SELECT) Then go into the display setting and try the throttle channel again. If it persists, then it's not an issue with any settings, but a problem with the transmitter.

The throttle channel should be full left (on DISPLAY) when the stick is at the bottom, and full right when the stick is at the top. It should move smoothly as stick position changes. Your throttle channel shows it at zero (as if the stick was at mid-position 50%) and jumps between 0% and 100% erratically.

I've never dealt with hobbyking's customer service, but I've haven't heard very good things. If you are going to send it back, you may not want to open the case. (But if you are willing to open the case, then it's 6 screws on the back, be careful with the cabling inside.) I would expect to find either a loose wire or bad solder connection somewhere.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:36 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Yow!!! Wow, I think I agree with larrydust about there being some problem with the transmitter.

You'll want to contact HobbyKing and show them this video. I've heard that their on-line chat support can get you some successful resolution better than an email.

Sorry to hear about this. I do wish you the best of luck though!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Im not in US, so bought it off eBay.
But I recalibrated the sticks a few times and now its looking good.

I just need to spend some time testing so will try do that this evening...
Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Oh, that's good to hear that recalibrating seems to have fixed it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Man I just cant get this thing right lol.
So I re-setup the remote from scratch after dong the calibration.
And now pressing the right stick to the far right its applying throttle again.
But now its not showing up on the display anymore lol.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
So I *THINK* I have the remote sorted.
As in Up goes up and right goes right lol

So still have the issue of no throttle and right stick (aileron) full to the right the blades start spinning (not enough to take off)

But I also have an issue with the swashplate (Xtreme CNC swash) it keeps popping off the rear guide.
I will take a vid but ye, its all a bit funky
I also have the Xtreme Flybar (50mm and heavy weights) and the Xtream Metal rotor head.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
See here:
http://youtu.be/4NlEmKG8fII
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,654 Posts
Maybe you need to lengthen the servo links so that the swashplate doesn't pop out like that? I have the Xtreme swash but mine doesn't do that. I don't have the Xtreme flybar though so maybe that's pulling the swashplate *up* further than stock?

I'm concerned about your transmitter issue though. Even after recalibrating the sticks, if it's outputting some throttle when giving aileron, that doesn't seem right. You know, for some reason I thought that someone either in the V911 or 9958 threads had a similar problem. You might need to search there over the past few months to look for that. I remember that they solved it but I don't remember how they did.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
38 Posts
Ye I really need to get that sorted.
Its definitely not right, and making it all a bit of a bummer.

I have lengthened the link arms to the max and it does the same thing.