Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:43 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
So here's my first HD video, well nearly HD. It's limited by my 'ancient' 2GHz WinXP machine. I used 2 passes with AVC to convert to mpeg2, then edited it with MEP10. It was a lot smoother before uploading to Vimeo but still better that my old camera. I'm not too concerned about the small dark patch bottom left and understand that the colour changes are fairly normal.
Easy Star near Dover (3 min 35 sec)

Perhaps with the limitations of my system, I'd do better with a direct H264 editor. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'd even fork out a few quid of my paltry pension for something that works.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2011, 02:48 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,107 Posts
Is that the #11 camera?
I would certainly not think those colour changes normal for a #11

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 03, 2011, 03:05 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
920 Posts
Took my night flying slow stick with HD 808 to my sister's family 4th of July party. Enjoy!

Kirk's 45th Annual Independence Day Party (2 min 17 sec)
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Jul 03, 2011, 05:01 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Is that the #11 camera?

Kev
Thanks Kev, I certainly hope it is. It's from hxelpro360 and is the one to the left of the 'original' pictured in post#2. I think I have bigger problems than that with editing etc. I'll just keep trying till I get it right.

Mike.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:32 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Good idea!

Instead of paying out all that money on a Contour, get 2 #11's for a 2 cam coverage and the picture is still much the same quality as the Contour

What is your application for the Canmore? Just to record the flight path?

Also with your 2 cam setup, how do you find editing in the 2 sources?

Kev
I have the Dashboard software, which puts gauges on the video using gps data. So the canmore is to gather the gps data. It's actually more reliable than the contour gps IMHO.

BTW, I just weighed the two jumbos plus the canmore vs the contour.
The contour is 5.2oz+4oz weights in tail for cg=5.6oz
The 2 Jumbos.9 oz ea.+Canmore 1.2 oz = 3.0oz. No need for weights because the cameras will be on wingtips near the cg.
And the price is about $200.00 cheaper.

Not sure how I will edit the video yet. Haven't shot any with the jumbos yet, just charged them overnight and need to pick up some micro sd's today. I don't like spending a lot of time editing, so I will probably just run each of the videos through Dashboard and upload to youtube like that. I guess you can watch them side by side in separate windows if you want by letting it load fully then starting simultaneously.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jul 03, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:15 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Which Canmore GPS logger do you use? I didn't realize they were compatible with the Dashboard software. Sounds fun!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:22 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Which Canmore GPS logger do you use? I didn't realize they were compatible with the Dashboard software. Sounds fun!
Check on this blog, near the bottom. It has one drawback....does not account for geoid correction so I have to run the gps log through another program to account for geoid, otherwise it shows me below sea level.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:49 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll look into one later, and probably have questions if I get one...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Is that the #11 camera?

Kev
There is still a problem with saturation and white balance with the latest #11 firmware... read about this in the FAQs. it's on a list of highly desired firmware tweaks give to the developer. It's most troublesome when the exposure level goes from bright to subdued, such as when the horizon bobs up and down in an aerial video flight.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 03, 2011, 01:57 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer421 View Post
So here's my first HD video, well nearly HD. It's limited by my 'ancient' 2GHz WinXP machine. I used 2 passes with AVC to convert to mpeg2, then edited it with MEP10. It was a lot smoother before uploading to Vimeo but still better that my old camera. I'm not too concerned about the small dark patch bottom left and understand that the colour changes are fairly normal.
http://vimeo.com/25909491

Perhaps with the limitations of my system, I'd do better with a direct H264 editor. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'd even fork out a few quid of my paltry pension for something that works.
Have you checked the editing tips in the FAQs post #3. The free AVIdemux editor will load and edit the native .MOV video, trim/clip out unwanted sections, re-encode to many different formats (includinh H.264/MP4), or even do direct copy of the original video/audio streams with no re-encoding (VERY fast) if you don't need any of the filters to tweak colors, invert/sharpen the image, etc.

<EDIT> Did you intentionally reduce the frame size from the native 1280x720 frame size down to 720x576... kind of defeats the advantage of the HD recording? <EDIT>
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 03, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2011, 04:46 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
Can adobe premiere pro handle .mov files from this Cam?
I see someone said nope?

I'm surprised if that is the case because Adobe Premiere Elements can and I thought it was a much slimmed down version? I use Elements 4.0 and it opens them no problem. I have Prem Pro as well but it's no longer installed onj my pc as Elements does much the same stuff as is MUCH simpler to use.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Jul 03, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
417 Posts
My first attempt at editing #11 HD with VideoStudio Pro x4.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7lCnowoiivg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
billhally is online now Find More Posts by billhally
Old Jul 03, 2011, 07:39 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I have the Dashboard software, which puts gauges on the video using gps data. So the canmore is to gather the gps data. It's actually more reliable than the contour gps IMHO.

BTW, I just weighed the two jumbos plus the canmore vs the contour.
The contour is 5.2oz+4oz weights in tail for cg=5.6oz
The 2 Jumbos.9 oz ea.+Canmore 1.2 oz = 3.0oz. No need for weights because the cameras will be on wingtips near the cg.
And the price is about $200.00 cheaper.

Not sure how I will edit the video yet. Haven't shot any with the jumbos yet, just charged them overnight and need to pick up some micro sd's today. I don't like spending a lot of time editing, so I will probably just run each of the videos through Dashboard and upload to youtube like that. I guess you can watch them side by side in separate windows if you want by letting it load fully then starting simultaneously.
Hmmmm. Even lighter eh? I must have a look at Dashboard too.
I can undestand you not wanting to spend much time editing. I'm a retired video producer, and found editing a bit of a pain. I was curious about how the latest editing apps handle combining the 2 streams, hoping it might be quite easy now.

If it can be done without much hassle it really boosts your viewer response you will find. That's why you see so many camera angles in sports coverage.

Kev
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:54 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,107 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Frank;18663848]Have you checked the editing tips in the FAQs post #3. The free AVIdemux editor will load and edit the native .MOV video, trim/clip out unwanted sections, re-encode to many different formats (includinh H.264/MP4), or even do direct copy of the original video/audio streams with no re-encoding (VERY fast) if you don't need any of the filters to tweak colors, invert/sharpen the image, etc.

Thanks for that reminder Tom. Have downloaded it.

Kev
Old Jul 03, 2011, 08:54 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Hmmmm. Even lighter eh? I must have a look at Dashboard too.
I can undestand you not wanting to spend much time editing. I'm a retired video producer, and found editing a bit of a pain. I was curious about how the latest editing apps handle combining the 2 streams, hoping it might be quite easy now.

If it can be done without much hassle it really boosts your viewer response you will find. That's why you see so many camera angles in sports coverage.

Kev
Fairly inexpensive editors (e.g. MAGIX Movie Edit Pro17+ for about $70) can edit more tracks than anyone here would ever need. And a special multicam mode allows two tracks (user selectable and changeable) to be switched back and forth in the main output track by simply clicking on their thumbnails when you want the switch to occur. No cutting/pasting of individual clips needed! And the audio with each clip will follow along with it if you want, or a single audio track can be locked in no matter which clip is current in the frame as an alternative. Can't get much easier than that.

For a simple free solution, a simple click on an Avisynth plain text script file icon can grab two clips (named clip1.avi and clip2.avi), reduce them to 1/2 size, combine them for simultaneous playback in a full sized frame, and output that video video stream into an editor (i.e. VirtualDub) for final editing and output to final playback form. For example, here's the simple script text that directs Avisynth to place the two clips side-by-side:
StackHorizontal(reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip1. avi")), reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip2.avi")))
AddBorders(0,180,0,180)
And this one will stack the two videos vertically:
StackVertical(reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip1.av i")), reduceby2(Directshowsource("clip2.avi")))
AddBorders(320,0,320,0)
Attached are two sample frame grabs of the combined videos (both of which play back normal in their reduced frame areas)... pretty powerful stuff for only having to click an icon once the tools are in place on your PC!
Closed Thread