Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:33 PM
Planes from 1oz to 55lb's
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
1,278 Posts
Rant
Hate crashing when it's NOT my fault...

So I go to my usual flying spot and do a fantastic flight with my rebuilt and recovered X-ray (it spent close to 4 weeks in a tree, then more than a year on the shelf). I landed, put my new lipo on charge, and went for another flight. As soon as I launched it, the motor made a horrible screech the actually caused the whole plane to turn a bit (due to torque). I killed the power and it hit the ground rather softly. Damaged the thin tail so repairs are in order.

Just the day before I broke the support for the wing tube and nearly lost a wing.

Several servo failures in the past few months have thinned down my fleet as well.

Also totaled my Raptor heli due to my TX module being faulty. List goes on and on.

This got me thinking, I cannot even remember the last time I crashed a plane due to my piloting... It's driving me crazy!

Just a rant. Of course crashing is a good excuse to get something new, but still..
simo10 is offline Find More Posts by simo10
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
About 15 miles from Bristow, OK
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
I hate that too. Who doesn't?
flyrcehelis is offline Find More Posts by flyrcehelis
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
Thank goodness my crashes are not usually too detrimental to my planes health.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
OK
that seems like a lot!!
from now on, watch where you buy those components!!
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:47 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
This hobby :: crashes now and then.

You either need to have unlimited funds, or love to build/repair. Otherwise, you're in the wrong hobby!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:51 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
1,278 Posts
Worst part is that it seems like everything that's failing lately is high quality brand name equipment like:
Hacker outrunner- seems like the bearing are shot

A123s- one cell actually blew its cap off for no apparent reason.

Hitec servos- from small HS-55s to expensive digitals. A few years back I had many Hitec 605s servos that failed consistently one after another, at least 8 or 9 of these failed.

Futaba 8U Super radio which I believe caused the crash on two models (Skeeter and Raptor heli). It seemed like ch.2 and 3 (elevator and throttle) locked in full down and full throttle position, obviously causing complete destruction. Mind you, this is a radio that has performed flawlessly for the last 10 years. I do believe it was my module, but how can I trust it now?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 02:55 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
This hobby :: crashes now and then.

You either need to have unlimited funds, or love to build/repair. Otherwise, you're in the wrong hobby!
..a
I love building, repairing, scratch building and even crashing. Pushing the limits of technology and our models is an incredible thrill. A few years ago my father and I got together and broke several world records (FAI), so it brings me closer to family too.
I couldn't ask for a better hobby

simo10
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:04 PM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
I hate crashing too. I really hate it when light poles, trees and fences jumped in front of my planes. And then there are the dumb thumbs. I swear...
hongrn is offline Find More Posts by hongrn
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:25 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I'm in luck. My crashes are my fault. I guess I don't have to worry about it.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:26 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,844 Posts
I hate lock outs on that Spektrum stuff... its fun when the "fail safe" decides to let your plane go WOT and the plane circles around for a minute before getting stuck at the top of the dome (indoor facility).
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
Maybe I'm strange, but I much prefer crashes which aren't my fault. Either way, I'm out time and/or money to repair or replace the plane. What's the sense in damaging my ego at the same time? Last summer I was far more irritated by tearing the landing gear off my Bruce Tharpe Flyin' King due to dumb thumbs than I was to stuffing a quarter-scale Super Stinker on its second flight due to a servo failure. If the plane's broken either way, it's nice to have a scapegoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
I hate lock outs on that Spektrum stuff... its fun when the "fail safe" decides to let your plane go WOT and the plane circles around for a minute before getting stuck at the top of the dome (indoor facility).
You should try binding them properly. It only did what you told it to when you set the failsafes.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:22 PM
Nashville TN
Joined Jan 2007
280 Posts
Crashing is bad but,......That's why we all need more an ONE plane. So we can take the time to check and double check EVERYTHING on a plane that has gone down.
It all comes down to your brains and hands and eyes , either operating the radio or building/repairing on the bench. Don't lose site of why most of us do this.....FOR FUN !!
eng30 is offline Find More Posts by eng30
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinate View Post
Maybe I'm strange, but I much prefer crashes which aren't my fault. Either way, I'm out time and/or money to repair or replace the plane. What's the sense in damaging my ego at the same time? Last summer I was far more irritated by tearing the landing gear off my Bruce Tharpe Flyin' King due to dumb thumbs than I was to stuffing a quarter-scale Super Stinker on its second flight due to a servo failure. If the plane's broken either way, it's nice to have a scapegoat.

You should try binding them properly. It only did what you told it to when you set the failsafes.
Actually I set the failsafe properly (only happend on one model) had other lock outs when the failsafe actually did what it was programmed to.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2004
1,278 Posts
I used to use spectrum for a while until it locked up my fully upgraded trex 450 and it almost flew into me, then slammed into concrete, sending it into six thousand pieces This was with the first DX6.

Since then I've been a bit weary of 2.4 ghz, even though I know I'll have to convert for good soon.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo10 View Post
Just the day before I broke the support for the wing tube and nearly lost a wing.

Several servo failures in the past few months have thinned down my fleet as well.

Also totaled my Raptor heli due to my TX module being faulty. List goes on and on.

This got me thinking, I cannot even remember the last time I crashed a plane due to my piloting... It's driving me crazy!
A thorough pre-flight may have caught most of those problems before they broke something.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor