7,179 Posts
What are you using to measure current?

And how many rpm is it pulling.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,354 Posts
Just tried the Ammo on a tired (3.4V under load) 3 cell and got about 30A w/a 4.1 so it should do fine tomorrow...ticked about the ARC. Just got it back from lightflight and it was unused till today..

(used a Wattmeter)
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:41 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
What sort of wattmeter.......

Are you sure its a -2 (3750) and not a 2.5 (2800kV). Do a Kv check.

Current is irrelevant.

RPM determines how fast you go......

jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:31 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Miners Rest
Joined Feb 2009
1,536 Posts
... current determines for how long ...
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,354 Posts
Its labeled a -2 but does act likes it the other wind. One of the 1st things I did was look at the other motor specs to see if it was an obvious mislabel. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to set the drill press up to measure the Kv but for now I'll let lightflight handle the Kv check....I'm just trying to figure out how to cram a large ESC in to get it up to 800W and still have a decent sized battery..
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
Its labeled a -2 but does act likes it the other wind. One of the 1st things I did was look at the other motor specs to see if it was an obvious mislabel. Maybe someday I'll figure out how to set the drill press up to measure the Kv but for now I'll let lightflight handle the Kv check....I'm just trying to figure out how to cram a large ESC in to get it up to 800W and still have a decent sized battery..
That's where this dual aileron set up has multiple advantsges. Look at the space saved!
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,652 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what other wind you are referring to, but the ARC 28-37-2.5 is good on a 4.75 x 4.75 - another ideal choice for the Rifle - flown it with that motor many times. Does 21,000rpm, 28A, 290W static (19.4A in flight), but that's on a 1500mAh 25C battey (3S of course!) (before I started flying our ElectriFly 1800mAh battery).

Not sure how to use a drill press to check the kV. All you need to do is somehow get the unloaded rpm (and know the Voltage with a Watt meter). You can simply cut a round flywheel from white plastic or cardboard or something, then mark two black lines on it, spin it up, then get a reading with our tach.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,354 Posts
Well it flew fine w/the Ammo today. Launching it has gotten waaaay easier. Either my arm has gotten stronger or I have a better setup than earlier! Maybe its just better technique. Hardly loses any altitude on the throw. The dual aileron setup may come in handy when I start using 4 cells to keep the CG close (if a decent size 4s fits!)

for now, I'll go fly while ya'll go work

cheers,
Mike
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:08 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,652 Posts
Nice Mike.

What Ammo are you running - the 28-35-3900?

I've found that my launches are better than ever this year too. I have to remember to look at it when I throw it. This helps me keep the wings level.

Tim
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Not sure yet but i might be selling mine. Need to earn money for a much larger TRUE F5D
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,354 Posts
Tim, the Ammo 24-45-3790
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
53 Posts
New rifle owner

I purchased the rifle today and I'm excited for the build.  This is what I have thus far, please advise if I'm on the right track to a good/fast flyer.

Motor: ARC 28-37-2
Prop: 4.5x4.1
ESC: Dynam Detrum 40A ESC(3A BEC) from hobby partz
Battery: HYPERION G3 VX 1800 MAH 3S 11.1V 35C/65C
Spinner: MP Jet Precision Spinner 30/3.2mm
Servos: tbd
Receiver: tbd but probably spektrum 6210
amagad is offline Find More Posts by amagad
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:19 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,652 Posts
Congratulations and thanks amagad.

I've flown the Rifle dozens of times on the ARC 28-37-2 with 4.5 x 4.1. The only thing I am compelled to remind you of it's over the 300W limit specified in the manual. However, as I said, I have dozens of flights on a stock airframe Rifle with this setup and am also flying two other Rifles with the 28-35-3900 Ammo at around the same watts as your ARC and going fine. You may want to start out on low rates.

Visit my blog for ways to make a few simple improvements.

Keep us informed of how it is going and post some images.

Tim
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:33 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Well it flew fine w/the Ammo today. Launching it has gotten waaaay easier. Either my arm has gotten stronger or I have a better setup than earlier! Maybe its just better technique. Hardly loses any altitude on the throw. The dual aileron setup may come in handy when I start using 4 cells to keep the CG close (if a decent size 4s fits!)

for now, I'll go fly while ya'll go work

cheers,
Mike
I run a 4s 1000 50c in my rifle,and I have not removed the inside wood support rib.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:08 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2009
395 Posts
3 more flights today. I really love this little plane. I tried using the landing method that a number of guys mentioned on this thread by flaring gentle until they run out of up elevator but the approach i use now is to slow it as much as possible but then fly it onto the ground as smoothly as possible keeping the wings level. I have installed the landing skids on each wing tip to help stop catching a wing tip.
Arkx400 is offline Find More Posts by Arkx400