HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:04 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Build Log
Smooth Genie Pro-wood version

I finally started working seriously on the Smooth Genie Pro woody kit from Vintagesailplaner.com. I thought it would be nice to start a build thread to offer some guidance for those who are not sure about undertaking a complex building job such as this.
Feel free to post any pictures and information you may have about your SGP build.
trident58 is offline Find More Posts by trident58
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2010, 06:34 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Great stuff, thanks for posting the build info and photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident58 View Post
I thought it would be nice to start a build thread to offer some guidance for those who are not sure about undertaking a complex building job such as this.....
Hi Trident,
thanks for posting the SGP build info and pictures. I received my SGP last year but wanted to build two other RES models first. These build logs are a real wealth of knowledge and i appreciate your info. Hope to see you and the completed plane fly at one of the SC2 contests. Take care of the hamstring, exercise will get you if the cars don't first

john s. in riveside.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Jan 03, 2010, 08:33 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Thanks for starting this. It was my intention to start a wing build thread as well, but I wanted to finish my fuselage first. I 3M'd the glass on today getting ready for the epoxy.

I've already got some fairly major differences planned for my wood wing version, so I'll probably start another thread but I'll be following this with interest.

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Jan 03, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
I don't know... that fuselage looks like it has some problems... You might better send it to me and let me inspect it... Seriously, nice work... both of you...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 04, 2010, 08:26 AM
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Jack,

Unfortunately, the problems won't show up until the first time I lawn dart it trying to make that 10 minute task at 9:59:59.....

thanks

Dion
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:37 AM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
597 Posts
Nice build! Suscribed!! Quick question, what are the odds of just getting the plan for the wood wing? I've been trying to build a genie for several years now and the most Ive done is the side slabs on the fuse. Thanks
Enrico
enrico74ec is offline Find More Posts by enrico74ec
Old Jan 04, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Anyone know what the fuselage weighs when finished?

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:41 AM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Dion,
Great job on the fuselage. It's a real labor of love building something that requires lots of sanding and carving. Also gives you a chance to put some personal touches on it.
Jon
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:43 AM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Enrico,
I believe you can get the full wing kit from vintagesailplaner.com for $139.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrico74ec View Post
Nice build! Suscribed!! Quick question, what are the odds of just getting the plan for the wood wing? I've been trying to build a genie for several years now and the most Ive done is the side slabs on the fuse. Thanks
Enrico
Old Jan 04, 2010, 10:49 AM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
John,
I think the great thing about build logs is that that you get so many ideas on how to do something. Everyone has their own favorite way of doing things.
I've never flown in a soaring contest, but I most definitely plan on entering a few with this plane.
Hamstring actually healed up pretty fast. Doctor has me doing some weight lifting to try and strengthen it, although I hate lifting weights.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
Hi Trident,
thanks for posting the SGP build info and pictures. I received my SGP last year but wanted to build two other RES models first. These build logs are a real wealth of knowledge and i appreciate your info. Hope to see you and the completed plane fly at one of the SC2 contests. Take care of the hamstring, exercise will get you if the cars don't first

john s. in riveside.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Anyone know what the fuselage weighs when finished?

Jack
Jack,

Acording to Harley's SGP supplement file:

10.9 oz. carved, ready to fine sand, no fin, pushrod, canopy or built-in lead.
12.5 oz. ready to glass-over, with fin/bellcrank/pushrod, saddle fillets, Icing putty at nose.
13.4 oz. with glass attached with 3M77.
14.3 oz. with first epoxy resin coat applied & sanded.
14.6 oz. after 2nd coat applied & sanded.
14.7 oz. after scratch filler applied & sanded out to glass-like finish.
15.7 oz. Primed & painted with Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer-Gloss Protective Enamel.
26.6 oz. with 4AAs battery, servos, Rx, canopy, tow hook, nose tooth, rudder, stabs, cable, wing holddown. Any nose weight is to be determined, but is typically 4- 5 oz.

I'm close to those weights right now during my build, but could have gone a bit under with more precise wood selection. But this fuselage is built to penetrate the lower bomb shelter - maybe over-built even.

Dion
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2010, 04:04 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
More Spar Work

I've added all the ribs and shear webs to the center section except the 2 outermost ribs. These will be added later when I get to the joiner boxes. Next step is to add the ply shear webs and wrap the spar in kevlar.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 12:22 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Joiner boxes and spar wrap

Built the joiner boxes and secured the 11/32" OD brass tubes in place. I'm making a change here versus what is included in the kit. The kit came with pre-bent 3/8" aluminum joiners. As a personal preference, I'm using 5/16" straight ejector pins.
I also wrapped the entire spar with 1/8" kevlar ribbon, with extra wrapping around the joiner boxes.
Old Jan 06, 2010, 01:28 PM
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Jon,

Did you round off the edges of the CF caps before wrapping them? I find (through research and experience) it helps prevent stress risers and cutting through the kevlar during hi loads.

If not, please don't launch your computer at me. It looks like a beautiful wrapping job.

Dion
RCG Plus Member