HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:11 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Got my Alula in the air. I wonder whats up with it. Any change in direction more than about 10 degrees results in a stall.

is it still tail heavy? It balanced on the marks, but who knows...

kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:26 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I got mine in the air for the first time today also. After about ten launches I finally got used to the throws. At first I had too much elevator, so I moved the clevises in one hole and that helped. Unfortunately I was flying over flat land, no slopes here. I got better launches with just a little wind, but no wind or too strong a breeze hurt my altitude, and the breeze really affected controllability. Even though all my flight were real short, I had a blast with it.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
Kirby,

It takes very very little elevator movement. Set the throws to the manual or even slightly less for the first flights. This isn't a 3DHS plane. Bumps should be a good starting point for cg.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople View Post
Got my Alula in the air. I wonder whats up with it. Any change in direction more than about 10 degrees results in a stall.

is it still tail heavy? It balanced on the marks, but who knows...

kirby
Something to check might be what I'm testing out on mine. I have been having similar issues to what you mention, balanced on the dimples, perhaps a smidge forwards, but a tendency to climb and to stall out when turning, particularly if giving sharp aileron movements.

I think my problem was that I didn't have her trimmed quite right. The manual says that they fly best with a little down trim dialled in but even with max down trim on my controller, I still didn't feel I quite had the surfaces properly level. I think that I must have glued the pushrods too long / allowed the surfaces to flex up as a glued them.

I've tried correcting this today by increasing the throws on the elevator channel from 20% to 30% to increase the down trim at neutral and this really seems to have made a big difference.

She now seems to climb much straighter to altitude on launch and she feels more positive in the air, tending to fly a little faster and not wanting to slow into a stall the same as before. Down side is that the extra elevator throw is definitely noticeable, feels a bit twitchier on elevator, but it was the only easy way I could try to correct this and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it in a few flights.

So, you might want to check this yourself, have a look at your surfaces and see if she could perhaps use some extra down trim.

If anyone is interested, I'm using a Futaba 6EX 2.5GHz set, with my mix now set to 60% aileron, 30% elevator (upped from 20%). With 20% I had full down trim and still felt it needed more. At 30% I've actually backed it off a little so may have some more tweaking to do yet!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

xan
xan is offline Find More Posts by xan
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:57 PM
Monticello, WI
Joined Jan 2008
29 Posts
Gents:

Try measuring your actual elevon travel per p. 18 of the DF manual. The recommended travels are a good guide -- chase those instead of arbitraray rate percentages. You shouldn't need more than a few clicks of pitch trim. If things still feel twitchy, add more expo until you're comfortable.

I found that the Alula gets real pitchy and stall-prone with a forward CG. It's happiest balanced neutral, or even a mm or two aft of the dimples. Once you're more comfortable in the air, you can dive test it (again, per the manual) to ensure you've got the CG right.

It takes a little fiddling around to get things dialed in, but the effort is well worth it. You'll know when you've hit the "sweet spot."

Mark
MarkLL is offline Find More Posts by MarkLL
Old Oct 02, 2010, 05:08 AM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
@MarkLL

Cheers for the advice!

I did originally measure my throws, which led me to my initial 60-20 mix setting. Increasing the elevator throw beyond what I thought was correct via the manual was just a "cheat" so I could get some extra down trim. Ideally I'd re-glue my pushrods to get my surfaces better level, but I'm not sure how to go about it!

Interesting what you said about the CG as I'd have expected having it a touch forward as I have would make her slightly less stally. Will perhaps try taping a few coins on at different places to tweak the CG and see what feels right!

While I'm writing: are there any Alula owners here who have had success with mounting an onboard camera? I love some of the Alula footage I've seen on youtube and Vimeo and am hoping to get a micro camera to play with myself (birthday coming up!) but not sure what to get.

Searching around has found me: http://www.flycamone.com/ the FlyCamOne2 V2, but it looks perhaps a little heavy and a little bulky for the Alula? Some earlier Alula vids mention a bubblegum packet camera, but I can't find that anywhere still for sale.

If anyone has any suggestions for a lightweight camera that might work well on an Alula I'd really appreciate some advice!

Cheers all,

xan
Old Oct 02, 2010, 06:29 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I think you'll find adding any more weight than is required for proper CG will definitley hurt the glide performance of the Alula. I can't imagine you'll find anything light enough not to be too heavy. Just my opinion.

My Alula is balanced neutrally on the dimples, but mine is much more sensitive to down elevator input than up. I bought the Hitec Neon, 3 channel radio just for this bird. I didn't buy the add-ons for it like, Travel Adjustment, Dual Rate Switch, or a 4th channel, so I can't adjust the Expo on it. I just have to be more careful about my stick input. I also fly in a pretty flat area, so none of my flight are very long, probably 30 seconds max, but I still enjoy throwing it around. I haven't had a chance to head toward the beaches with it to look for slope lift off the sea breeze.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Oct 04, 2010, 11:54 AM
castro valley, ca
Joined Mar 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xan View Post
@MarkLL
... snip
If anyone has any suggestions for a lightweight camera that might work well on an Alula I'd really appreciate some advice!

Cheers all,

xan
try the key fob spy cams, and mount it along the centerline.

the trick is to mount it in such a way that 1/2 the view area isn't obstructed by wing and nose, and still keep proper balance.
yellow130 is offline Find More Posts by yellow130
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:33 PM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow130 View Post
try the key fob spy cams, and mount it along the centerline.

the trick is to mount it in such a way that 1/2 the view area isn't obstructed by wing and nose, and still keep proper balance.
Hobby city has one, or simply "KEY CHAIN SPY CAM" in Ebay......

that's what i use on my alula, and you can get any angle you want easily... and still fly well with the cam "on the roof!"

Alula Evo inboard outboard camera (4 min 27 sec)
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Oct 05, 2010, 05:19 AM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenj View Post
Hobby city has one, or simply "KEY CHAIN SPY CAM" in Ebay......

that's what i use on my alula, and you can get any angle you want easily... and still fly well with the cam "on the roof!"
Thanks lebenj, that looks more promising. At 35g it's not going to do any favours for pure flatland performance, but whatever! I want to get her up on the slope, so for a bit of fun I think that should do nicely!

And at about 10... it's hardly a huge outlay (yes, micro SD card is extra).

Cheers!
Old Oct 05, 2010, 05:39 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
it's not 35gr, when you take off the chain, and keep only the black plastic box it's around 15grams.

just easy, simple, and efficient!!!!

you can also put it at the extremity of your wing if you want!!!

you can also add this fish eye

it works perfectly, and add a wider view angle...

Inside FOX fisheyes November 2009 (5 min 18 sec)

note, in this video, the FOX is piloted normaly. the keychain is just used to record the flight. the pilot generaly use this plane in FPV with another video camera!!!!

this one is a FPV flight recorded with a key chain:
Fox FPV cam:cx161 juin 2010 (8 min 6 sec)

enjoy and regards....
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:07 AM
xan
UK, Peel, Peel
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenj View Post
it's not 35gr, when you take off the chain, and keep only the black plastic box it's around 15grams.

... SNIP ...

just easy, simple, and efficient!!!!

you can also put it at the extremity of your wing if you want!!!

enjoy and regards....
Many thanks for the info lebenj! At 15g I think that'll do the trick nicely - I think that's only about the nose weight I had to add to balance my 'lula!

Many thanks, I'll post up a video sometime when I get this working . Hoping to get some nice shots of Peel Castle (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/21922085) from the air!

Cheers,

xan

PS: Keep forgetting to say: Nice video there in your original suggestion post!
Last edited by xan; Oct 05, 2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Missed a bit
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:30 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
what a wonderful place....
using a alula it must be great!

when i use my key chain spy cam, i just "cratch" it on the roof at the CG....
by this way i can put it ok take it off just when i want!
Old Oct 05, 2010, 09:38 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
I was able to get over 4 minutes on one of my drops last weekend. This really is a good way to get some flight time when the slope is not available.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:46 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh View Post
I was able to get over 4 minutes on one of my drops last weekend. This really is a good way to get some flight time when the slope is not available.
That's a great setup! Looks like fun. And with a little luck you could catch a thermal.
Ty
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies