SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2014, 09:44 PM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
354 Posts
Build Log
Upscale Electrifly 3D Riot.

Welcome to my (experimental) build. Although I fly pretty much everything, I've found myself flying lots of 3D profiles lately. As a guy who loves to build, it also got me thinking about trying to enlarge some of the designs I thought were particularly cool.

I always thought the long-discontinued Electrifly 3D Riot was a neat little plane...plus who doesn't love 3D bipes? I've been flying lots of 40-size profiles so I thought to myself, wouldn't a 40-size Riot be cool?

A buddy of mine recently wasted his, so I dissasembled it and scanned the components. I traced all the parts in Adobe Illustator and enlarged it to about a 41" span (2X), a size I thought would be about right.
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
Last edited by Sessholvlaru; Nov 17, 2014 at 03:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 09:48 PM
Joined Apr 2007
354 Posts
I sent the plan to Bob at Laser Design Services who helped me clean up the plan and then cut me the kit (for a very reasonable price).

Just got it in today, and boy I can't wait to build this thing! The laser work is awesome and the plans look great. Check out the fuse!

Now this is all based off guesswork. I have no idea how light (or heavy) this thing will end up. I'm hoping to use a Power 32 on 4S but only time will tell!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 08:14 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,154 Posts
Very cool. Keep us posted on your progress.
M.Putnam is online now Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Old Nov 12, 2014, 07:36 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,239 Posts
What he said. Wish I had the time and talent to tackle such a project.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:15 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,667 Posts
Sheer genius. What a great idea for coming up with greatly-enlarged plans and parts from a small existing airframe. That laser-cut fuse piece is beautiful.

Yes, your 41"-wingspan size will be very good, as is your motor choice and 4-cell power. AUW with a 2700 battery will likely be slightly under three pounds. A 14x7 APC prop would be a good choice to start with. You're definitely on the right track. You can proceed as planned with confidence.

I know this because I've built a few planes something like your big Riot. A while back I posted a wildly over-the-top build guide for an overpowered profile fuselage flat-sheet foamie 3D bipe I call the "Hammer 38". I posted it on the scratchbuilt foamies forum, and it got zero response. The guys who frequent that forum are modelers, not stunt flyers, and a 38-inch-wingspan foamie that can handle 1200-watt motors and 14" props is not something they're interested in.

In fact, the Hammer is an orphan. Modelers are not stunt flying fanatics, so they weren't interested. On the other hand, almost all real 3D flyers want to get into the air as often as they can, as quickly as they can, not labor for countless hours at a workbench on a scratchbuilt. The Hammer is bad for both groups, so there were no takers on the build thread as far as I know.

Not to hijack your thread, Sess, but if, by some random chance, somebody who frequents this 3D forum might be interested in taking on a pretty involved scratchbuilding job for a high-powered 3D foamie biplane, here's the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=Hammer+38

While the Hammer is very different from your Riot, you can learn something from it. It's close enough to use it for reference, and there's no doubt your instincts are good. Your plane is going to be a great flyer, and you'll have a ton of fun with it.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Last edited by Depronicus; Nov 12, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 08:56 PM
Joined Apr 2007
354 Posts
Updates. The fuse is coming along well. For some reason the right thrust vanished when the kit was cut so I had to build it back in. The vertical thrust angle and stab slot were also somehow lost in translation so I fixed that too.

The fuse is very light and feels pretty strong right now.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
354 Posts
Rudder is done.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:56 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,485 Posts
Very cool project, i hope it flies well for you!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:58 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessholvlaru View Post
...For some reason the right thrust vanished when the kit was cut so I had to build it back in. The vertical thrust angle and stab slot were also somehow lost in translation...
Two degrees right and one degree down seems to always work on planes like this.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Nov 17, 2014, 03:35 PM
Joined Apr 2007
354 Posts
The completed stab. It's mostly 3/8th X 1/2" stick. I'll have to reinforce the joiner between the elevators. I'm thinking inlayed carbon fiber.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:34 AM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,154 Posts
Any updates?
M.Putnam is online now Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:08 PM
The cycle is complete.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
2,045 Posts
I'm one of those rare 3d flyers that likes to build. Maybe during the summer, I'll try this one out.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Dec 02, 2014, 04:16 PM
Joined Apr 2007
354 Posts
Updates will be coming shortly. I'm getting ready to start on the wings.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 06:39 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,485 Posts
Sabian, what's the best 3d kit you have found? Best I have tried is the mountain models etana.
Keep it coming sess.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Feb 04, 2015, 09:50 PM
Joined Apr 2007
354 Posts
Four ailerons completed.