HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:28 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Discussion
Took a little road trip

and was in Sturgeon Bay today. I had to take a few shots of the new yacht Palmer Johnson is working on. A little too unconventional for my pedestrian tastes. They did have one docked behind her a bit more my speed.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:47 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Unconventional, yes (and I agree, not to my taste) but... Made in USA!!!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:29 AM
Portland Oregon
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Apr 2014
110 Posts
Ugly as hell and I wonder how seaworthy with a stern like that, oh well not my taste either, I would prefer something that looks like on of the crab boats on the Deadliest Catch. Then I know that I would have something that will go anywhere anytime with any weather and probably with out breaking the bank with a fuel bill. Maybe not the fastest but defiantly seaworthy.

Andre
Andre Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Andre Anderson
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:29 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,287 Posts
Yep, I would prefer the push boat more then the yacht.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:27 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Sorry Aero the hull is molded in Norway by a carbon fiber specialty manufacturer. The hull is then fitted out in Sturgeon Bay.

Andre maybe this is more your cup of tea: http://www.palmerjohnson.com/#!explorer/co5

http://fox11online.com/2014/07/22/pa...hes-new-yacht/
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:01 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem View Post
Andre maybe this is more your cup of tea: http://www.palmerjohnson.com/#!explorer/co5
That's a very cool design...looks like a UT720 done up as a yacht...

The 150' SuperSport is definitely radical, but for some reason, it's not as painful to look at as much as the abortion that Steve Jobs had built...I think the SuperSport is a design that could grow on me...
capntroy is online now Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:39 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Interesting stuff.

http://www.palmerjohnson.com/#!super...ghlights/c12q7

I've changed my initial opinion on Steve Jobs' iboat... I saw some pictures of it down in Mexico (I think that is where they were taken) posted by an RCGer a while ago. In its element, it looked fantastic. I thought it was terrible the first time I saw it.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:48 PM
Sunny South Florida
Joined Sep 2004
215 Posts
Look like a trimaran hull. I wonder if it will be more stable in rough water. Trimaran hulls are getting more popular since the trimaran used by the group the tries to save the whales.
windwarrior6682 is offline Find More Posts by windwarrior6682
Old Aug 27, 2014, 04:58 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
725 Posts
Another of the "More Money Than Brains" set musta paid a ton of money for that POS. Torpedos Lost! (pardon my poor German spelling).
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:40 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2011
620 Posts
$$$$$$n more$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGAux26 View Post
Another of the "More Money Than Brains" set musta paid a ton of money for that POS. Torpedos Lost! (pardon my poor German spelling).
Hey CG!, the cost of taxes, dock fee's, fuel, and crew payroll/expense's /entertaining,, you would probly need to hit the next $300 million lottery just to keep it out of hock(foreclosure) , LOL!,....Thats why I only play above the $100mil payoffs!!!,,...Tim
haxawsnavy is offline Find More Posts by haxawsnavy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vittles!!
Old Sep 07, 2014, 09:53 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Longer road trip

Last spring my brother Steve mentioned he wanted to take a ride on the SS Badger this summer. His vacation schedule is based on his employment date so he didn't get time off till the end of August. We decided the week after Labor Day would work out well as the kids are all back in school so the ferry and the museums we wanted to see wouldn't be crowded.

I'll break up the trip into pieces as we covered a little bit of ground and I have lots of pics you all might find interesting.

Day 1 Thursday Sept. 4th
I booked passage on Badger for Thursday the 4th. After Labor Day the schedule goes back to one trip a day. We boarded at 2pm CDT for a 7pm EDT arrival. The weather report wasn't the most promising. The Badger was designed to be a year round railroad carferry so unless the weather will be uncomfortable for the passengers she will sail. We had some rain on the crossing and the wind was from the Southeast which put it on the starboard bow. This turned the pitching into a corkscrew motion. I didn't get full blown seasick but Steve and I did spend most of the trip in the aircraft style seats napping. When she got into the lee of the Michigan shore Badger settled right down. Without a full load they got her unloaded pretty fast. Steve and I grabbed some dinner at the Ludington Big Boy next to the Holiday Inn Express where we bunked that night. On Friday it would be on to Muskegon to see the USS Silversides Museum and USS LST 393.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:25 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,376 Posts
Great pictures.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:01 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Day 2- 1 Muskegon Michigan, USS Silversides Museum

The road led us south to Muskegon, home of the USS Silversides Museum and a short distance away the USS LST 393 Ship Museum.

The USS Silversides Museum is located on the entrance to Muskegon Lake from Lake Michigan. The museum has a facility which houses a collection of artifacts, exhibits, and models. Larger artifacts outside include a Hedgehog mount, submarine rescue chamber, and other large pieces.

Silversides is a decorated WWII submarine and completed 14 war patrols. http://silversidesmuseum.org Her career as a museum ship started in Chicago at Navy Pier. When that location was no longer tenable she moved across the lake to her new home.

The museum also is home to the Prohibition era 125 foot Coast Guard Cutter USCGC McClane. McClane is a "Buck and a Quarter" Active class cutter. http://www.uscg.mil/history/webcutters/Mclane1927.asp . She is a pleasing vessel to look at with yacht like lines.

I must apologize for some of the photos. I was using my pocket Kodak as my Nikon with the large lens sticking out was not suitable for climbing ladders and walking tight passageways. The Kodak was being taxed in some of the low light conditions, and when I was trying to keep up.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 09:16 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
USS Silversides

They offer guided and self guided tours of the USS Silversides and USCGC McClane. We caught up with a tour that had just started. I recommend on the sub taking the tour. In the tight confines being on your own would be an issue if a tour was trying to get through. Here is a brief walk through of Silversides.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:30 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,287 Posts
Nice tour. Thank you.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris