HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,128 Posts
Discussion
Dean plugs - are they safe or should I switch?

Hey guys,

If this has been posted before I sincerely apologize, I just really couldn't anything specific for my application.

I finished my Raptor E-550 built, maiden is on saturday. I will be using 2x 3S 4000mAh Turnigy lipos (30C) in series. I made an adapter cable with two male Dean plugs leading to a single female Dean plug that goes straight into the ESC (ACE 75A).
My questions is: will the Deans get the job done? I plan on purchasing two 6S 5000 mAh at the end of the month (you don't want to see the current state of my bank account ;-)) and want to know before I start soldering more Deans (which I've been using in previous 3S/4S applications). Can I use them or should I switch to 4mm golden connectors or similar?

Cheers guys, your input is much appreciated!
Chris Burton is offline Find More Posts by Chris Burton
Last edited by Chris Burton; May 04, 2011 at 07:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 07:28 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,644 Posts
Some say YES and some say NO. Never had one failed on my since they started manufacturing them and I made to swap to them.

My brother uses them on his T-Rex700E 12S 5000mah and CC Pheonix HV 160A. The issue is more the SPARK that is going to create pits on the contact and will eventualy need to be replace regardless the connector used anyways.

Unless you install spark arrestor.

PS: thats my opinion..
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 04, 2011, 07:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,128 Posts
Freechip, thanks for the insight. So what you're saying is that the spark generated when plugging in these lipos affects the soldering contacts? Sorry for the noob questions, never read about it before but you definitely have my attention now
Old May 04, 2011, 07:36 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,644 Posts
Not the soldering contacts but the actual plates or CONTACT point of the connector thats going to come into contact with the matching male or female.

EXAMPLe when you connect the battery to the esc. Using high voltage packs liek 5S, 6S and what ever there is going to be a spark when the 2 connector make contact. A ncie big spark when you are flying with 12S. Thats spark is going to create a small black mark on the connector or may not every time but over long period of time the connectors may not contact properly because of this SPARKING and may cause the connector to fail.

You can find some system use to minimize SPARKING when high voltage is used.

Here is just an example of spark arrestor being used.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=748

I think it might be castle website that also mention what size resistor to use as to not affect the ESC auto cell count from working properly..
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 04, 2011, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,128 Posts
Thanks a bunch man, that is some VERY useful information!
Old May 04, 2011, 08:15 AM
FPV addict
Joined Mar 2011
1,208 Posts
I have heard that castle is saying to NOT use the spark arrestor with their ESC's. That's only hearsay from a few sites but I havnt seen it myself from castle.
Sniperp is offline Find More Posts by Sniperp
Old May 04, 2011, 11:12 AM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
I use deans on 8s with no issues, running upwards of 80A. No noticable heating of the connectors.
I don't worry about the spark, after a number of connections I just rub the connectors with a little sand paper to clean them up. It will take years to lose any appreciable amount of material. People also worry about the caps, but since I use castle ESCs I don't care.

If you really want to see sparks, try using alligator clamps to connect to a 33V source.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old May 04, 2011, 11:13 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
I think the Deans will do the job if you used a proper ga. wire and with 6s the spark is minimal but you should inspect once in a while. Personally, I do not like Deans, the soldering contact points are too small for me when you use larger ga. wire. I use the CC 5.5mm bullets on everything.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old May 04, 2011, 02:37 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I think the Deans will do the job if you used a proper ga. wire and with 6s the spark is minimal but you should inspect once in a while. Personally, I do not like Deans, the soldering contact points are too small for me when you use larger ga. wire. I use the CC 5.5mm bullets on everything.

Harry
I agree, they are a pain to solder, but I have got it down pretty well now. You have to be careful not to get them too hot or the plastic starts to melt and the prongs move around. I would switch to something else, but the thought of redoing everything is overwhelming.

I love CC bullet connectors, they are my preferred choice.
Old May 04, 2011, 08:38 PM
Austin,TX
Joined Jul 2009
240 Posts
This is just my opinion, many, many people are happy with them, I am not.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=152
billcat is offline Find More Posts by billcat
Old May 04, 2011, 08:40 PM
Austin,TX
Joined Jul 2009
240 Posts
I still use deans often, but hard to have confidence when you have that happen. Maybe I got a bad production run.
billcat is offline Find More Posts by billcat
Old May 05, 2011, 11:12 AM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcat View Post
This is just my opinion, many, many people are happy with them, I am not.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=152
I experienced that the other day on a harness I built for testing. It would connect, then go open, then sizzle. So I hit with a little sand paper and tweaked the prong and spring a bit and it works fine. I tested it at ~50A and it showed no heating. But it would still make me nervous to use it in flight.
You have to watch out for knock-offs too, though some people claim they have good luck with those as well.

Personally, I avoid building a system that draws over 70A. When I hit the 70A mark, I start looking to up the voltage.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:28 AM
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
I use ultra deans with no issues but then I am flying 3 and 4s packs.if I went to higher voltage packs given the comments I have heard overall I would investigate the matter more seriously but at my level thus far they work fine,yes soldering was a pain but now I can do it well and its just parttt of the hobby.sorta like using monokote the first few times I guess.
propnut07 is offline Find More Posts by propnut07
Old May 11, 2011, 10:54 AM
Germany
Joined Sep 2005
31 Posts
Gerd measured quite a few plugs. Page is in German but Google translator is your friend. (link at end of post below)
IMHO there is no point in changing Deans to 4mm golden connectors.

I think the only reason why golden connectors are popular is because they are GOLDEN.
The MPX connector or XT60 or Deans connector is much better (avoids battery shorts and wrong polarity).
I changed everything to MPX. Works for me from Parkflyers to 2m IMAC style pattern ship.

Best,
Malte

http://translate.google.de/translate...romstecker.htm
MalteS is offline Find More Posts by MalteS
Old May 11, 2011, 02:28 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
I use Deans Ultras for most things but when the battery wire size get to 12 or above or I'm using anything over a 4S battery, I switch to the EC5 connector. All of this is personal preference of course.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2