HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:44 PM
Be one with the heli
United States, AZ, Sahuarita
Joined Oct 2002
280 Posts
GWS receivers vs Hitec

Hello all. I am building an acro-bipe very soon and was wondering what receiver i should use. It seems to be a toss up between the hitech feather(I have a hitech 3 channel focus TX) or one of the GWS really small receivers. What i was wondering is if the GWS RX will work with my Hitec TX. Also whichreceiver would you recomend.
thanks for your help
MaxDuracell is offline Find More Posts by MaxDuracell
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2002, 11:40 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,438 Posts
The GWS receivers will work, if you order the correct one for Futaba/Hitec shift. If you don't have a Feather already, stay away from it. They glitch like crazy if you fly with other people at all. The GWS R4P is much less prone to glitching, and is lighter. Unfortunatly the new FMA M5 dual conversion receiver is probably a tad on the high side in terms of weight for an Acro Bipe.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:32 PM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Go with the GWS. in fact go with all GWS gear. I have just completed an Acro bipe. I use all the GWS gear and a rayovac 9v battery. DD GWS motor with a wattage cub prop with a spinner on it. the styro spinner is exactly the same size as the one in the kit. I get 5 min flights at 1/2 throttle. it is still fast at 1/2 and a rocket at full. Good luck.
sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:16 PM
Be one with the heli
United States, AZ, Sahuarita
Joined Oct 2002
280 Posts
Thanks guys. I am almost ready to build just a few more things in the mail and i will be ready to start. hey sinkinpat you dont happen to have any note worthy experience in this having just built an acro your self do you? How about painting these things just use testors or does spray paint work?
MaxDuracell is offline Find More Posts by MaxDuracell
Old Oct 17, 2002, 02:57 PM
Sacramento area (Lincoln)
Joined Sep 2002
348 Posts
Insight?

well I have just built 2 actually. the first one I lost due to pilot error and flying it behind a house ans couldn't see it so I cut throttle so I could get the electronics back before it disapeared. the second one The same set up. I basically copied others set ups. I placed elevator servo in the fusalage under the pilot. I made a hatch where the whole canopy opens up. there are similar hatches in pictures of others on this site. the aleron servo is exposed through the wing. the speed control and recever are cramed althe way in the front under the motor and the battery slips into the hatch and is a nice tight fit in the fusalage. I didn't bother cutting any wires or anything. just cram and jam. my center of gravity was about 1/4 to 1/2" behind the leading edge of the bottom wing.

Now for some insite to this setup. what would I do differently on the next one.

The landing gear doesn't work. upgrade it with stiffer wire and maybe even some carbon fiber. every time I try to land it is springy and it flips. this may be due to my flying site too tomany rocks but I can't land on asphalt either.

Iwould try to install the aleron servo completely in the fusalage. I have had some rough landings where I cought a dirt clod on the aleron servo horn and stripped the gears in the servo. If you are only flying over cut grass you probably won't have this problem

I wouldn't change the prop. I have found this one to be the best yet better than the GWS 3X2.

I set up alerons only on the bottom wing. it won't roll but that is fine for me now as this little bipe was my aleron trainer. I only flew Tiger moth befor the Acro bipe. next one I will shoot for alerons on both wings. and may try the Astro flight Firefly motor too.

Over all I love this little plane it is fairly tough it takes alot to really break it beyond what a little elmers won't fix. I think you could use spray paint but I use my airbrush and tamiya accrylics.

Good luck this is a fun one. People can't believe The size and the performance out of such a small plane

oh make sure you line the leading edge of the bottom with packing tape. you will be glad you did.

I wouldn't bother painting unless you fly over grass. mine seems to get banged up to much. last night I was flying when it got to dark and went full speed into a fence. the plane survived but it jammed the armature of the motor into the brushes and sheared them off and also busted out the end bell. damn. now I need to order a new motor. and get another prop. but that was my fault for flying with a broken gear in my servo and my alerons got jammed. Lessons learned I guess. time to order some servo gears and a motor and stock up on some props.
sinkinpat is offline Find More Posts by sinkinpat