HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2014, 01:38 AM
Joined May 2009
326 Posts
Discussion
Plane recommendations? Indoor, beginner, from HobbyKing

Hi everyone-

I teach kids how to fly planes. This year we did scratchbuilt STC trainers--a great plane, but actually not very easy to fly indoors (a bit quick). Also, scratchbuilding took waaaaaaaay too long. I still want the kids to learn building skills, but when you compound all the errors/sloppiness inherent to a first-build by an adolescent, you end up with a plane that is difficult to fly even by experienced pilots!

So--I'm looking for recommendations. I know that 3D/F3P planes aren't exactly "easy" to fly, but they (can) fly slowly, and they are often made of really durable materials/designs. I had a Tristania for a while and it was a boat-load of fun. Cheap but very capable.

Any recommendations? And yes--they need to come from either HobbyKing or another budget distributor/manufacturer in Asia (I'm in Indonesia).

Thanks!
Ryan Lenz
Jakarta International School
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2014, 07:15 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,030 Posts
Hobby King will soon be releasing the NutBall by Goldguy as a kit, it might be more what you're looking for. Simple to build and easy to fly, both indoors and out. Here's the thread for the scratchbuild version.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old May 23, 2014, 07:22 AM
IT"S A PLANE NOT DOGFOOD
Australia, VIC, Hampton East
Joined Feb 2013
224 Posts
if you are really tight on budget try flight test swappable. its made from $1 dollar foam board (here in aus its $9 not sure how much over in Indonesia) so its just a few dollars to repair and once you have mastered your trainer you can easily take the esc/motor/reciver out and into another plane(but of similar size plane) they do have free plans for all their planes and there is a part list for hobbyking parts as well

Hope this Helps

Edit: 1 of the flite test swappable is a nutball what you get depends on what you want to do (are you willing to cut out the parts or do you just want to quickly FLY!(okay you will have to wait for the nutball to be realised by hobby king)

Edit: forgot to say the part of the nutball that holds onto the motor is some type of wood so it might not be too easy to cut out by hand
wojethebest is offline Find More Posts by wojethebest
Last edited by wojethebest; May 23, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2009
326 Posts
Hi guys-

Really hoping to find a 'kit build'....scratchbuilding was fun but I'd like to spend more time flying and a lot less time building. Of course, I do realize repairing and building are critical to the hobby (even with kits!).

I was also thinking about a small-shop operation....the sort of thing where a guy has a laser cutter/phlat phoam printer and can whip out 20 kits and ship them out to Indo....
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old May 24, 2014, 02:35 AM
IT"S A PLANE NOT DOGFOOD
Australia, VIC, Hampton East
Joined Feb 2013
224 Posts
I might be getting a laser cutter (I'm in australia) but that would be in a few months or even up to a year. but if i get one ill be happy to make some kits for you.
Once i have more info(like if i will get it or not) ill send it to you.
wojethebest is offline Find More Posts by wojethebest
Old Jun 01, 2014, 09:43 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,626 Posts
Don't know if I would consider building a NUTBALL a "scratchbuilt" project. Had a friend that wanted one and we cut it out and put it togeather in about an hour. Installing the equipment might involve another hour. Great little flyers. I like the 17 inchers for indoors. Check out the indoor combat video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2120720

RonJ
RonJ is online now Find More Posts by RonJ