HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2014, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
Discussion
Which connectors to choose for a 12s setup

Hi,

I am currently converting my first big electric plane. I have Hacker Q80-8M and am going to run it on 2 x 6s 5000mAh lipos. As I am fairly new to giant electrics I have all the equipment to purchase.

I am going to go with Junsi 308Duo charger and probably Junsi S1200 power with that. I would also like to be able charge 4 batteries at the same time, can someone point to me a good parallel board to go with this charger?

I have to also decide what connectors to use, and when deciding now I need to buy a lot of them and make all the needed wires etc. For some reason I am thinking of EC-5 at the moment but really I am not sure about that either.

So please recommend connector type for my use and what gauge wires to get and possible other points that I have missed.

Any help appreciated!

Br
Olli
Olli-Matti is offline Find More Posts by Olli-Matti
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2014, 04:39 PM
Joined Jun 2007
25 Posts
Yup,
EC-5 is my favorite. I have not found anything better. I
I find that I never have to use a soldering iron anymore because using a small butane torch is much easier to do the soldering part. I have EC-5's on my 6 cell 5000's and like the way they keep a finished look. I use a Jig is Up to make things easier. I used to use a 2x4 with a few drilled holes and got sick of burning wood all the time.
Some feel that you can't remove the bullets from the connector easily but all you have to do is push the other gender bullet on to the inside of the blue connector and use a channel locks or good size pliers to just squeeze a bit and the bullet just pops out.
It seems like a personal thing on which connectors but I think these are the easiest for me.
The gauge wire that comes with a 6s 5000's is fine for EC5's.
Only do 1 bullet a time and get it safely into the EC5 before continuing
to avoid a nasty short.
Make sure to tin the wire first by having about a 1/2 inch wire exposed then cut the wire back after tinning so you only have about 3/16 or so left to put in bullet. Too long of wire and it will sit outside of the blue connector and look bad. Heat up the bullet and fill past 3/4 or so in the bullet while it is sitting vertical. If you fill too much it will overflow and kind of wreck the bullet. After a few tries you will get the hang of it and not waste anymore bullets.
Then use a small blade screwdriver to help push the bullet in the connector on a hard surface and you have got a good connector you can
give a good pull on to make sure it will hold up. You don't even need heat shrink tubing which is also a plus.
That is my two cents.
Lastly there are a few parallel boards with EC5's on them for parallel charging. I get the ones that have good reviews written for them and
they seem fine.
gr3456 is offline Find More Posts by gr3456
Old May 15, 2014, 04:11 AM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
Thank you gr3456, just the info I am looking for. Other opinions are also welcome

I measured my Master Mezon 135 controller and it seems that it has AWG10 wiring on the battery side and AWG12 wiring on the motor side.

Does anyone know what is the size of the bullet inside of the EC-5?
Old May 15, 2014, 04:17 AM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
And here comes one more possibly stupid question

So I have Hacker Q80 - Mezon 135esc - Emcotec SPS - 12s battery chain and going to use EC-5 between the battery and powertrain, but should I use for example bullet connectors between the motor and the ESC or just solder them directly to each other?

I am thinking of using big bullets between them to make possible maintenance more easy.. Is there any dangers in doing that?
Old May 15, 2014, 05:27 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,291 Posts
A EC5 is vastly undersized for a 12s setup.

You should be looking at a minimum 6.5mm bullet connector and not the style which are inside a EC5 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_5pcs_.html those little floating spring sections are prone to failure.

Some good options:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._2_Pairs_.html
6.5 or 8mm http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbullet.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._12_pack_.html

My preferred method is to use a female bullet on the negative battery lead and male bullet on the positive battery lead. The advantage to doing it that way is when i'm connecting packs in series I can easily plug the packs together without the need for another link lead like you would with a set plug like an EC5. Of course you would still need a parallel link but you would no matter what you use.

I think a good option would be to use 6.5-7mm bullet on your batteries and 8mm bullets on your battery to ESC connection.

As for wiring to make the parallel link I would use 8g wire.

ESC to motor connection I typically just use 4mm - 5mm bullets but some guys like to solder. But as you mention bullets are much easier for maintenance purposes.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old May 15, 2014, 06:48 AM
Joined Oct 2010
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli-Matti View Post
Thank you gr3456, just the info I am looking for. Other opinions are also welcome

I measured my Master Mezon 135 controller and it seems that it has AWG10 wiring on the battery side and AWG12 wiring on the motor side.

Does anyone know what is the size of the bullet inside of the EC-5?
AWG10 has an Amp rating of 15 Amps. EC5 connectors are rated to 120 Amps.
EC5's should work.
Even EC3's should be fine since they are rated to 60 Amps.

The size of the EC5 connector is 5mm. The size of an EC3 connector is... umm, let me think...

I just needed some EC5 connectors myself and found them on the bay pretty reasonable @ 10 PAIR (20 male/femal connectors) for $14.95 shipped.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...an-Wire-Gauge/
Treeline is online now Find More Posts by Treeline
Old May 15, 2014, 10:10 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,025 Posts
I use Anderson Power Poles (APPs) for everything I own, including a 12s heli setup. Never had a failure or problem in all my years of R/C. Even used them on a 10s, 80A, 2600+ watt biplane with no problems.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans