HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:38 PM
Joined Jun 2008
8 Posts
Discussion
aviastar .46

Is this a good engine? 49.99 direct from Sig. They sell it with some of their rTF planes and are parts available?
Matt Curtis is offline Find More Posts by Matt Curtis
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2014, 08:30 AM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
681 Posts
Personally I would not buy one. I have never seen one in person or even listed here in the classifieds. But there are plenty of better known engines for sale here all of the time. The ASP line of 2 strokes offer the best combination of price vs performance. They are quality engines.
dmrcflyr2 is online now Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2014, 08:54 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,689 Posts
I have one. It is a good engine, like all the rest if properly taken care of it will run for ages. They recommended the use of an idle bar glow plug. I tried it and found it outstanding. The idle was really quite low for a two cycle engine.

It was tight when new, I had to use a heat gun to warm it up, and used an electric starter to get it going. After the first heat cycle run of about 5 minutes, I shut it down to let it cool off. I found it much looser then. Ran it three or four more times then flew it. Used a 11 X 6 prop and it ran just fine.

Earlier engines had carb problems but SIG fixed that and gave great support for the engine.

It is a little heavier than say a Thunder Tiger or an OS. It is an ABC engine, no rings. Use a little Castor in the fuel and it will love you and it. It is a good deal at the price.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:13 AM
TEAM BOCA
United States, IA, Muscatine
Joined Oct 2009
1,602 Posts
I currently have seven .
I have been assisting SIG with their carb issues for a few years but it looks like they may have finally gotten over them.
From my point of view they are a decent powerful engine , however if you get one with a bad carb they are horrible.
Fortunately SIG is great about standing behind them.
They are on the heavy/large size for their displacement but not terribly so.
They are ported for torque not rpms.
I have had better luck with them than ASP engines.
I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner due to the carb issues which may or may not crop up . I would like to see a beginner have the most reliable easy to tune engine possible. For a .40 size trainer I like the Thunder Tiger GP42.
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Apr 02, 2014, 09:35 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
I'll chime in on the Aviastar. Mine took forever to break in, so much so that I finally gave up and stuck it on a spad combat plane and just ran it wide open. Try to throttle it and it would load up and die every time. It finally came around and once it started acting right, it would really haul the mail until I plugged it in the ground and snapped the muffler off. Jeffie gave me a lot of help figuring mine out. If you like to tinker it's a good engine for the money. If you're looking to fly, you might want to look elsewhere. Hopefully this summer I'm going to get a mousse can pipe on mine and see just how fast I can get it to go. I'll see if I can find a video of mine flying and post that.

Edit: Ah.... apparently you can't upload videos to this area.
JohnsPop is online now Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Last edited by JohnsPop; Apr 02, 2014 at 09:43 AM.