HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
Discussion
4.0 Night GPS mission with RTH review.

The weather has finally cleared up here in far northern California. I finally got to go test my ship with 4.0 . The GPS is great! There is zero wind right now as night begins here so it was easy to get a perfect AL trim. After that I tried the PH with slewing. It works frickin' awsome! I would say it was holding within a 10 foot diameter. After flying it over the neighborhood for a few minutes testing the slewing feature and making drivers look up into the air like their being attacked, I tried the RTH feature. I flew it about 100 feet up and 50 yards away with PH ON. It was far enough away that I lost orientation. Believe it or not I did that on purpose (I know. A lot of trust). I activated RTH. I estimated 10-15 mph during the RTH. This is the speed it used to RTH when the GPS board first came out. I admit I like it much better. The previous firmware was to slow during RTH. I did return to within 6 or 7 feet of its home position. I tried it three times and it worked flawlessly. The only issue I saw was with the AH. When in PH and AH ON I gave it full throttle to make it ascend. It didn't seem to respond. I then turned off the AH, climbed to a higher altitude and turned AH ON again. I gave it full throttle and it did ascend but it was a little more rapid than the previous firmware. I didn't change any radio settings either. Maybe I need to play with the AL gain. But from what I can see the GPS is working awsome. However time will tell if there is any bugs that need to be ironed out.
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:30 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
thanks for the review.

I will be adding my GPS board to my test rig soon
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
I think they did something to mess up the AH function. The previous version worked much better for me.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:39 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
We did make some changes which would require you to adjust your altitude hold gain. Additionally, it makes sense to put some foam or something on your pressure sensor if it is not covered by a dome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I think they did something to mess up the AH function. The previous version worked much better for me.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Do we expect to set higher or lower gain than before to start testing it?
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Lower..... My experience.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275