Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Discussion
Good FPV Cam?

Hi,
Is this camera good for FPV?

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...ed-Camera.html

If not please point me toward something that is better suited, good definition and good value?
Thanks
Andrew
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:18 AM
UK
Joined Feb 2008
442 Posts
Seems like you're trying to reinvent the wheel... There are thousands of security cameras available but only a handful have been used by FPVers consistently worldwide. If you choose one of these you know you'll be getting a known quantity which behaves well in an FPV situation (good light handling, etc) and there are loads of videos available online to see what you think.

You should consider the KX131, SN555, KX171 or the OSC camera which are available from pretty much all FPV stores.

All the best

Simon Dale
From FirstPersonView.co.uk
FPV-UK is offline Find More Posts by FPV-UK
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:28 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Get a KPC - VSN500. Best know camera for FPV use. $75 and it comes completely encased. I believe 123 Security products sells them.

You could also watch this video on Ebay cameras and determine what you like for yourself:
FPV Camera Comparision video (7 min 14 sec)
IBCrazy is online now Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Ibcrazy whats the KPC - VSN500 like for rf noise as im looking into getting a uhf rc lrs system and I hear they dont like rf noise from certain camera's. Also it looks very similar to the SN-555 camera!
Regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:19 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I like the look of the VSN500 but it's NTSC. I think I need PAL for my region? Is this important?
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:37 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I like the look of the VSN500 but it's NTSC. I think I need PAL for my region? Is this important?
It depends on how you plan to capture your flights. If you are going to use a video camera (miniDV or hi-8 or whatever) then you will need a PAL camera if PAL is the standard in your country. If you are using a digital recorder or USB capture, then most of these devices can record PAL or NTSC so it doesn't matter. The other consideration is what you are going to use as a monitor. I don't know of any video goggles that don't accept PAL and NTSC, but there are some LCD monitors that only do PAL or NTSC.

I'm in Europe where the standard is PAL, but have a mixture of cameras and all of my equipment is compatible with both video standards, apart from a portable DVD player that I bought in the US, which only works in NTSC and gives black and white images when used with a PAL camera.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove