SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:50 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Rick,

With the struts, it looks totally awesome. Loving it for sure.

Next time you are feeling depressed, just "Kick yourself in the behind". No need for that.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:56 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Hi Guys,

IVAN:
I stuffed my 500 ESP. As you can see the frame is broken on both side so it must be replaced.

My question to you is, you have both the standard 500 ESP and new version 500 right?

Are the frames that much different?

If so....... Should/could I replace and upgrade to the new frame?

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated!

The stock 500ESP frames are $65.00.

BTW I was flying my stock T-28 the other day and a guy came in that has 7 of them! yes 7 of them in different set ups. He had a new Eflite motor called a Eflite 10. Ivan, that 28 was dead on fast! He had a 40 amp ESC. He also had larger wheels too. He had made axle sleeves out of some small copper bushing material kinda like a ballpoint pen cartridge brass and slipped that over the T-28 axles as a filler to compensate for the larger hole in the larger wheels. Then he put an axle lock with a set screw on eachside of the wheel to hold it perfectly upright and straight. I have to tell you that thing ran down the runway it had no drift as he was lifting off nor did it wander and make him fight the rudder on landing to keep it straight on the money. Food for thought.

THANK JPEE
JPEE, WOW, you stuffed that one good. In regards to the newer frames. The new frames are cut down in the front battery tray area. With the older frame, you would have to run the battery pretty far forward to clear the canopy. The new frame allowed for bigger batteries and positioning further back without any canopy issues. If you had issues with canopy clearance with your old batteries, you might try the new frames.

You may even try the HK500 frames or even EXI. I recently learned I could get a bottom bracket for like $4 through Xheli where I was paying $17 for an Align one that came with a bunch of stuff I never broke. If you need a battery tray or three, let me know!!

$65 through Hobby King.

$29 through Xheli

Thanks a lot for the info on the motor for the T28. I think what he had was the E-Flite Power 10. That is actually the motor I am probably going to get. I have a Tower Pro 40A ESCs here that need a home so that motor will be perfect. People rave about unlimited vertical with an 11x7 prop and that motor.

I like the idea of larger wheels. They just dragged the infield of the diamond I fly off of and now the dirt is all loose and spongy. I can barely take off with either the T28 or the Extra.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:01 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
Ivan- How old is the motor? The same thing was happening with the BF 109 and I had mine replaced twice. The first time they sent me an exact replacement which arrived to me already cracked! So on the second call to them I insisted on a susbstitue instead. 3 days later a power 15 showed up on my doorstep HH has great CS so I'm sure they will help you out.

Jim
Jim, the motor is not that old. Less than a few months actually. I will probably try to send it in but I screwed the set screw in a little tighter to get the crack to expand and then it stripped trying to get it out. I think they might look a little sideways at that one.

The Power 15 must be CRAZY on the BF. Is it really as hard to land as people say it is?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:03 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
I give this video 10 stars+.. have you ever seen an rc car review video that showed some real world abuse like this? These guys are local and they put cars to the test thats for sure,ive run rc cars with them before and they dont hold back on a track or when it comes to bashing. Ive been on that drivers stand and its pretty high up there lol,and we all know every now and then a rc car collides with a curb . Heres the full review at BigSquidRC on the truck.

Duratrax Evader DT - Bashing and Torture Testing! Big Squid RC (3 min 1 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:23 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
^^^
Nice!
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:25 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Ivan,
Dang you can't catch a break with these planes That really stinks your motor is cracked. Jim's right that HH usually will take care of you though. I hate being side lined by tech issues I hope you get her back int the air soon
Glad to hear your tearing up the skies!

MR. Vic,
I hope all is well and answers come soon!

JayW,
You have high goals and great ambition I hope we can help you along they way in your project to make it successful!

JPEE,
You sure bent that batt into a banana I hope the renovation is about complete and your home bound. Sorry to see the carnage from the 500 but you know you were having fun

Rick,
Those wing struts look perfect Nice touch

Real,
Sweet video That sucker looks bullet proof!

Stamp,
Grilling this weekend I did a Porterhouse tonight on the charcoal with a side of potato salad with bacon Yummm
Blessings BOB's,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Last edited by 1Radioflyer; Jul 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:34 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Rick- They look awesome with struts! It is the perfect scale detail that was missing. Well done!

Ivan- The power 15 is crazy on it. I won't open her wide for long fearing that I may rip the wing off. It now has unlimited vertical! Got to like that! The key to landing this bird is keeping some power on till touchdown. Do that and it comes in very well behaved. Pic of my cracked motor is below.

JPEE-Dang, that looks painful. We've all been there before but it's no less easire seeing it happen to someone else. I feel for ya!

Dave- Being a bachleor now for awhile, are you eating cheeseballs and beer for breakfast?!

Quick link to a video/slide show of the fundraiser we did last week. Some great stills and nice video.

Wings Full of Wishes 2010 (7 min 28 sec)

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:36 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Grilling this weekend I did a Porterhouse tonight on the charcoal with a side of potato salad with bacon Yummm
Blessings BOB's,

Jay
Where was my invitation Jay?!! That sounds succlent!

Jim
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:37 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Real- Think we can teach Dave to drive like that? Man that was some fun they were having.

Vic- Sounds like a super deal on the motor for the mini bike. Have you finished blasting the frame yet?

Jim
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:59 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
JPEE, WOW, you stuffed that one good. In regards to the newer frames. The new frames are cut down in the front battery tray area. With the older frame, you would have to run the battery pretty far forward to clear the canopy. The new frame allowed for bigger batteries and positioning further back without any canopy issues. If you had issues with canopy clearance with your old batteries, you might try the new frames.

You may even try the HK500 frames or even EXI. I recently learned I could get a bottom bracket for like $4 through Xheli where I was paying $17 for an Align one that came with a bunch of stuff I never broke. If you need a battery tray or three, let me know!!

$65 through Hobby King.

$29 through Xheli

Thanks a lot for the info on the motor for the T28. I think what he had was the E-Flite Power 10. That is actually the motor I am probably going to get. I have a Tower Pro 40A ESCs here that need a home so that motor will be perfect. People rave about unlimited vertical with an 11x7 prop and that motor.

I like the idea of larger wheels. They just dragged the infield of the diamond I fly off of and now the dirt is all loose and spongy. I can barely take off with either the T28 or the Extra.
Ivan, thanks, now I see the diff. That new frame looks like my old ESP that I just cut down for that very reason... to squeeze in the 6S 3000 mAh packs into.
Looks like I need to go to Xheli for a frame perhaps. Tomorrow I am going to look at a 500 ESP a friend that I started in the hobby has that he hovered three times. Been sitting on the shelf for 6 months or more. He bought it set up RTF online for a great price with a DX7. He likes flying planes but gave up helis so we are going over tomorrow to visit and he is have a price in mind. I love my 500 ESP's best of all so having two would be no brainer for me. My goal is to sell off all of my Blade (3) 400's and many bags of parts so as to let me sit tight in the 450 Pro, 500ESP and 600e I have.
THANKS THANKS for taking to time to post this information.
PS: the guy was running a 10-7 prop on the 28

Jay, Chopper, and Jim.......thanks for the tears and good wishes and information you posted. I didn't even cry when she came down. My buddy got worried I was gonna blow apart when she hit the ground and bounced............I sat there and took like a man. But when I came home and fell into the arms of wife with big crockadile tears....

Mr. Ricky (aka) Barrrick........glad your on top again. When you feel low pop us up on the screen and we will give you ALL of the support you need.

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:59 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Ivan,
Dang you can't catch a break with these planes That really stinks your motor is cracked. Jim's right that HH usually will take care of you though. I hate being side lined by tech issues I hope you get her back int the air soon

Jay
Jay, the planes are still cheaper than helis!!! I beat the snot out of the T28 so it does not surprise me one bit that the motor is hurt. I am still shocked I have not broken a prop. I am kind of excited to get a Power 10 on the T28. The huge power loops with the Extra have me all jacked to do the same on the T28. I got two packs in on the Extra today and have to say I am liking it more and more. I just have to keep from pulling too much ELE at slower speeds and it flies pretty well. Today I was doing even bigger loops, lots of high speed AIL rolls, outside loops, inverted flight, Avalanche, Cubans, Immelmans, Splt S and even tried a little Kinfe Edge flight. I was having a riot. Got a pack in the Trex 450 Pro which is flying awesome. Worked on pausing inverted with a correction or two. Got a couple packs in the Trex 250 doing the same. Sure missed flying the T28 today though.

I am finding that planes can actually be harder on batteries than helicopters. I would not have thought that. The WOT flights on the Extra with my 2200mAh 20C Zippies is getting them pretty warm and puffy!!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:03 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK View Post
I got ready to begin the rigging on the CAMEL. Found out real quick that HANGAR 9 did not include all the TAIL RIGGING.....the wing cables, attachments, etc are ALL here. Not a single tail piece. So I investigated and found out in HH that this is a KNOWN problem, and that they will send the missing parts upon request. So I EMailed them and hope they send them soon.I am close now, install ELE + RUD servos and connect everything up. Then the CAMEL flies.....The rigging may take me a whole day, from what I see in the Manual...
I seem to have overcome my phys.problems (maybe depression also? ) and have gotten "active" again.
My two MICRO planes ( J-3 and CHAMP ) look so sorry without the wing struts that I actually made a set for them both. Now they look a LOT better, at least a bit more "scale"....they do fly perfectly. This morning at 6:15am I gave the CHAMP a maiden right outside the driveway...
but: they DO look a lot better with struts, don't you agree ?
RICK

OK....Jay....go for it, we can wait for pics and video. Being somewhat adventurist myself, I'd be real intrested to see how you come out. I've fabricated my own frames from aluminum, I make my own feathering shafts, whatever else I can do myself to possibly save a buck and NOT be waiting on parts. You're a little more McGiver than I am though...I draw the line when I cant do the tooling. I'd KILL for a mini lathe and milling machine combo, and I would TRY to fabricate my OWN helicopter from the ground up if I had the machines to do it.

Rick....the struts REALLY do help...looks good.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:15 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
Real- Think we can teach Dave to drive like that? Man that was some fun they were having.
Jim
If he's ever out this way.. sure lol. I think the curb hits you kind of dont want to learn though .

9sec240,outrunners on planes chew up the amps.. heli with an inrunner or geared set up makes a lot more power with lower amps,really want to build a custom gearbox eventually for one of the castle neu's i have and try it in the mxs on 4s-6s one of these days. Might wanna go atleast 25c on the packs to.. they will get less hot and youll get more power with the same prop.

Getting the packs ready now for tomorrow for the mxs,might take the energy byp out for a spin though later. To many bugs in the yard today.. i cut the grass and they all came out of hiding. Been listening to the sweet buzz buzz bye bye sound of the jerks getting electrocuted by the bug zapper tonight though .
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:18 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Ivan,

MR. Vic,
I hope all is well and answers come soon!

JayW,
You have high goals and great ambition I hope we can help you along they way in your project to make it successful!

JPEE,
You sure bent that batt into a banana I hope the renovation is about complete and your home bound. Sorry to see the carnage from the 500 but you know you were having fun

Rick,
Those wing struts look perfect Nice touch

Real,
Sweet video That sucker looks bullet proof!

Stamp,
Blessings BOB's,

Jay
Jay,
Where was my invite?
Sounds like a great dinner.
We were at Legoland tonight. It was very cool.
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:41 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jay, I had bacon in potato salad for the very first time about a week ago. WOW what a good combo!! I wonder why I have never had heard of that before.

Dave, in case you are bored again. This is my lunchtime playground.

Parkzone T28 lunch time flight at the school (6 min 52 sec)