SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Aug 2006
26 Posts
Possible 140 inches PIlatus Porter

This one is the one I want after my current projects!!!! Nothing else!!
allmetalplane is offline Find More Posts by allmetalplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:35 AM
Flying the point of the mtn.
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
Thought I would ask here if anyone might be browsing through this thread.. I munched my landing gear on a TopModel 3.36M Super Scale Pilatus Porter. Anyone have an extra set they would sell me or know where I could buy some?

I could probably fabricate something but looking for the easier route since I have a bit more work on other parts that were attached to the landing gear when it bent.

All aluminum parts are fine, just steel parts needed from struts to the steel bottom gear. I'll take all of it if you have it or just the steel if you want to keep parts.

Thanks.
Brian
bchristensen is online now Find More Posts by bchristensen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Videos
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:51 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
Brian,
Try Etienne at Icare-rc.
He may have what you want. Esprit models is the other choice

LEN
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:20 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
Tried Esprit.. waiting for a response. They provided the original unit but it seems they don't carry it anymore. Hoping someone has one out there for parts before I start trying to fabricate them. I'll try Icare-rc. Thanks Len.

Brian
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:34 PM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
375 Posts
I have a bender that you can use. they are preaty easy to bend. you dont want to heat the wire to bend it. And I live in West Jordan.
Mike
mwgib123 is online now Find More Posts by mwgib123
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:59 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
Hey Mike. We've met. Have you had to remake any gear for yours? I'm pretty sure I can pick up the metal at Home Depot and I can bend it. I guess that's probably the best option. I didn't really like the way the gear was set up in the first place so I thought I'd modify it a little. The aluminum pieces that hold the two wire ends at the tire don't seem very reliable to me.. maybe I'll just fabricate that part.

I'll try to pick up the metal tomorrow. Might have to take you up on the bender if I can't get it right.

Brian
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:01 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
You need music wire, 1/4
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:23 AM
Soar Tow 2
West Jordan Utah
Joined Jul 2006
375 Posts
bender

West valley hobbies has the 1/4 music wire, there a couple guys on here that bent their gear and just used some standard lamding gear bolted to the bottom. where we fly out on a dry lake bed, I have had no problems with my gear. nice and smooth and every winter mother nature resurfaces it. The clamp next to the wheel is stainless on my plane, preaty strong I guess you could try to weld it but then again you would be heating it up and taking the temper out.

Mike 801-403-9474
mwgib123 is online now Find More Posts by mwgib123
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mwgib123; Dec 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 06:37 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
466 Posts
I picked up some 1/4" wire at West Valley last week. It's not long enough to do the entire landing gear the way it was so I will have to weld two pieces. Not a problem. I'm going to try to bend back the existing landing gear first and if that doesn't work, I'll make new ones.

The problem is the larger diameter strut that goes inside the aluminum piece is bend. It's threaded on one side and just small diameter on the other. I'm going to talk with a friend that has a metal lathe and see if he can make me another one.

The 3.2m Pilatus is no longer in production according to Esprit Model. It was a joint effort by a couple companies that didn't work out. So getting replacement gear is going to be very difficult. If all else fails or I bend these again, I'll just go with larger aluminum gear.

I found I did have a bender after all Mike. Forgot I started this repair last year and bought the bender then knowing I would need it for the 1/4" music wire.

Brian.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:57 PM
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2005
343 Posts
Video by Sam

Aerotow Glider Minimoa (4 min 28 sec)

Aerotow Onboard Cam (3 min 13 sec)
arthur0903 is online now Find More Posts by arthur0903