SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2008, 06:46 PM
Joined Apr 2005
13 Posts
Discussion
Oahu (Hawaii) flying on Sunday mornings???

Hi,

Does anyone fly electric airplanes/helis early Sunday mornings around 7-9am?
nakamurak74 is offline Find More Posts by nakamurak74
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2008, 04:04 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
Nah, i work all week. Thats just too early lol. Less wind i'd imagine. Where do you fly?
rc808 is offline Find More Posts by rc808
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2005
13 Posts
You're right, it is too early, which is why I can't get other friends to come out, but it's the only time I can fly and not cut into "family time".

I've been flying at Halawa park. The wind is usually pretty calm at that time. About a year ago, there were up to 7 of us flying there on Sunday mornings, but lately, it's only been one or two.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:50 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
Sounds nice. Hard to find open spaces with no wind and people. I fly at ALa Wai park. Mid day when it's too hot is a good time to fly.Not many people around. A few times a week the lights on the baseball field are on so i fly at night.
rc808 is offline Find More Posts by rc808
Old Jul 12, 2008, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2005
13 Posts
There's a couple of other places I've flown at once or twice that are pretty good. Kanewai field and Waialae Iki park. The only problem with those places are the fairy terns (small white birds) attack my planes. They seem to keep clear of the helis, but it's something about the planes.

Friday night's I also fly helis and race cars/trucks with a couple of friends at KCC. It's usually pretty windy though so mostly just cars/trucks.

Maybe one day when I'm driving by Ala wai, if I see you I'll stop by and say hi.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 03:33 PM
Erk
All thumbs, no scents
Vallejo CA
Joined Nov 2005
597 Posts
Long shot request:

I've got a request from a son of friend who lives in the North Shore area who's interested in learning about rc planes. Is there a club or such in the area that might be willing to share some time with a 14 year old boy? I get the impression he wants to build and fly... but he lives over there and I'm in California.

Any aid will be greatly appreciated.

Erik
Erk is offline Find More Posts by Erk
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:36 PM
Joined Apr 2005
13 Posts
I don't know of any clubs in the North Shore area. The only clubs I've heard about on the island are the Kailua RC field and on Kaneohe Marine base.

My advice would be to stop by at Aloha Hobbies at 99 Ranch market in Mapunapuna. I know Scott (owner) used to offer to teach people to fly on Saturday mornings at the Kailua RC field. I don't know if he still does, but it's worth talking to him about it. If anything, at least it somewhere local that he could get advice and guidance on what to get and how to fly.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
man i wish you guys spoke up a few years ago when i asked if anyone ever flew in hawaii

i was just there for 5 weeks to see my dad. woulda been fun to met up with and fly with a few people.. although, living on the north shore, id be pretty far from anything... especially kailua... i flew at haleiwa beach park a few times. kinda small but good for foamies. watch our for soccer players. also sunset elementary has huge field.

-David
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:56 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,389 Posts
Hi, I am considering an Xmas stay on HNL... I would be staying at a VRBO untill near XMAS but then it would be nice to move closer to the beach. Some little hotel where I could carry my DLG across the Street and fly in a nice treeless grassy park??
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Dec 09, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Apr 2005
13 Posts
Just a heads up. While the Obama's are here on vacation, there's a island wide flight restriction. It pretty much runs from before Xmas through after the New Year.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 07:47 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,389 Posts
Even DLG in a small park? Interesting. I canceled my trip. Not for this. But flying was my main goal. Where can I read about this?
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:48 AM
User Registered
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined May 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
Even DLG in a small park? Interesting. I canceled my trip. Not for this. But flying was my main goal. Where can I read about this?
http://www.pfrcchi.org/category/fieldoutlook
PacificPilot is offline Find More Posts by PacificPilot
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:26 AM
Joined Apr 2011
33 Posts
Is there anywhere to fly in the Ewa area? I only have a couple of UM's at the moment, but thinking about getting something bigger and I just want to make sure there's somewhere close to fly.

Thanks!
The_Locust is offline Find More Posts by The_Locust
Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Does anyone still fly in Ewa at the ballfield on Renton? Looking to fly again just haven't seen anyone there lately.
jhoak22 is offline Find More Posts by jhoak22