Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:53 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
With a stock 480 or...?
Yes! The model is at least 2 years old in very good shape (no Glue Queen). However, the motor must have suffered or dirt got in the bearings.

The motor does not make the noise all the time, it spools up nice and quiet then, after a few seconds you can hear it! I just hope it is not the ESC.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,617 Posts
Either way Carlos, it's just nice to see you still have your T-28 ! I love mine and I'm fixin' to spend a little time on maintaining it....I usually just fly the wings off of it ! I actually dusted it off for the first time in ages and boy, that thing looks good! (It gets pretty dusty out here in the Mojave, especially when I fly it out at the dry lakebed....!)

You and Jerry still flyin' the ol' Super Cubs or are they retired? I've been flying mine alot lately....forgot how fun they were !

John
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:29 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,634 Posts
Mine is 2.5 years old and I had to replace stock motor to due bearing noise to due nose in crash Hehe...replaced with smaller but little faster E-flite Park 480 and has run great. I use it with MAS 3-blade prop and now it loves to go vertical. A step or two slower than stock prop but worth it for me.

There are at least 4 members of our club with T-28's and we love to form a squadron from time and time and try to fly together...what a hoot!

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
1,758 Posts
id love that.. people with me don like to fly togeather... i have to chase them all the time
BlinkguY is offline Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,858 Posts
I thought mine was making a "bearing" noise after installing a 3 bladed PZ Corsair prop on my PZ T-28. Turned out, after buying a new motor, that the old one was fine. It was my battery that was shot and wan't putting out enough voltage. I replaced the battery and the plane was fine.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Mine is 2.5 years old and I had to replace stock motor to due bearing noise to due nose in crash Hehe...replaced with smaller but little faster E-flite Park 480 and has run great. I use it with MAS 3-blade prop and now it loves to go vertical. A step or two slower than stock prop but worth it for me.

There are at least 4 members of our club with T-28's and we love to form a squadron from time and time and try to fly together...what a hoot!

Russ
Slower but more torque and a more "scale" look - sounds perfect for a rookie like me! I just switched out the stock wheels for 2.5" Dubros in order to fly off grass; would the extra torque help there as well?
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Slower but more torque and a more "scale" look - sounds perfect for a rookie like me! I just switched out the stock wheels for 2.5" Dubros in order to fly off grass; would the extra torque help there as well?
Absolutely and the prop is no longer than stock prop so that won't be an issue with grass.

P.S. Here are some pics of 3-blade, Park 480 motor installation, and formation flying.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RGS2010; Nov 29, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Absolutely and the prop is no longer than stock prop so that won't be an issue with grass.

P.S. Here are some pics of 3-blade, Park 480 motor installation, and formation flying.
Now THAT'S cool! With the Navy scheme it would like just like the ones my father test flew over the house in south Alabama back in the 1950's!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
RGS, the formation flying sounds like major fun. But I gotta say those club signs look a little daunting! Hate to go and forget my card....! Be as bad as forgetting the Tx or the batts....
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:33 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Either way Carlos, it's just nice to see you still have your T-28 ! I love mine and I'm fixin' to spend a little time on maintaining it....I usually just fly the wings off of it ! I actually dusted it off for the first time in ages and boy, that thing looks good! (It gets pretty dusty out here in the Mojave, especially when I fly it out at the dry lakebed....!)

You and Jerry still flyin' the ol' Super Cubs or are they retired? I've been flying mine alot lately....forgot how fun they were !

John
Hi John, just recently Gerry did sell off his Super Cubs (he had two), however, I am still keeping mine (I have two, a yellow covered one, my oldest and a newer White one). The Yellow is still stock and white has the Brushless. As a matter of fact, I recently bought Floats for the white one and can't wait to tackle that project.

Regards,
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:38 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I thought mine was making a "bearing" noise after installing a 3 bladed PZ Corsair prop on my PZ T-28. Turned out, after buying a new motor, that the old one was fine. It was my battery that was shot and wan't putting out enough voltage. I replaced the battery and the plane was fine.
I wish it was my battery! Nope, I am using new Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C, Li-POLYs and they put out the power. I am uploading a video showing the bearing noise at the lower throttle. Last night I took off the motor from the model and tried without any success to take apart the motor. The round keeper at the end bell could not be taken off due to the set screw in permanently and I guess they used the wrong type of Loc Tite at the factory!!

Needless to say, I went ahead and sprayed the motor with CRC 2-26 solution and cleaned out the motor as much as possible without taking apart the motor and used some RevDrops (In the days of lubricating Brushed Motors and their bearings) and still the Stock Park Zone 480 exhibits bearing noise at low RPM.

I guess the motor is coming out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,348 Posts
three blade props rock! i broke this one and am using the stock prop at the moment. not nearly as nice looking or sounding. ill be going back. more grass clearance too. just make sure to balance them well. they need it! big time! plus the stock ones dont have the realistic looking prop centers like the real plane uses. these do. bonus! also create great drag for landing. slows you right down into the wind with those big fat blades on there.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:04 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
I wish it was my battery! Nope, I am using new Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C, Li-POLYs and they put out the power. I am uploading a video showing the bearing noise at the lower throttle. Last night I took off the motor from the model and tried without any success to take apart the motor. The round keeper at the end bell could not be taken off due to the set screw in permanently and I guess they used the wrong type of Loc Tite at the factory!!

Needless to say, I went ahead and sprayed the motor with CRC 2-26 solution and cleaned out the motor as much as possible without taking apart the motor and used some RevDrops (In the days of lubricating Brushed Motors and their bearings) and still the Stock Park Zone 480 exhibits bearing noise at low RPM.

I guess the motor is coming out.
Here is the VIDEO!!!!!!!
Park Zone Stock 480 Brushless Motor Bearing noise at low RPM 11-27-2012 (4 min 1 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,240 Posts
Okay guys!

SUMMARY:

My model has crashed twice citing RF loss (Spektrum AR500). I have investigated and found the possible reason!!! Can you believe that the Nose Wheel Steering Rod / Sleeve was not allowing the servo to move!! The Sleeve was getting hung on the metal rod itself like someone taking a HOT Hair Blower and heat shrinking the sleeve material! Of course that is just describing how it felt when I took off the Push Rod from the Servo and tried to push it myself by hand.

I bought the model used so, no telling...

Anyway, I looked in my hobby drawer and found a Park Zone Replacement for the Elevator and cut to size for Nose Wheel Steering duty and all is fine now!!

However, my thoughts are that the BEC on board the Stock Switch Mode 30-AMP E-Flite ESC got overheated as a result from holding Full Right Rudder to perform Knife Edges and Bang, lower Voltage or Brown out and lost RF!

Okay a few pictures!

Taking no chances, I opened up a brand new AR600 and it is working perfect! I will however, place the old AR500 in my Slow Stick and Observe it closely for any RF faults and which I seriously doubt I will have any issues.

Business end:

Oh, my work with the Stock Motor!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,240 Posts
Checking for Bad Servos and Control Linkages / Push Rods etc...

Guys,

I highly recommend to check the AMP draw of the combined servo duty current draw and look out for higher than normal AMP draws. This is useful to detect a servo going bad and as in my case a Push Rod with a sleeve getting hung on the wire! All of which has the potential in losing your model (Crash).

I will be using my Watt Meter.
RCG Plus Member