HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2006, 01:02 AM
azkeith
Nampa ID
Joined Feb 2005
130 Posts
Discussion
Foam Education

I would like to where I can find information on foam for RC planes. Such as what does EPS, EPP, what are the characterstics of the various types of foam. What is Epalor ( I have an Easy Star). I am presently working with Blu Core, is it Styrene? In other words is there a printed "primer" on foam?
Thank you.
azkeith is offline Find More Posts by azkeith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2006, 10:06 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
http://www.eflightwiki.com
http://flydpf.com/
www.foamfly.com
http://www.flyingfoam.com

Elapor is EPP (expanded), pretty much.
BluCor is EPS (extruded)
Pool Noodles are EPE (extruded)
Beer Coolers are EPS (expanded)

My terminology is likely wrong. There should be a different connotation for extruded and expanded.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 08, 2006, 07:46 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Gene: You're wrong - your terminology is right

azkeith: Blucor is polystyrene - aka styrofoam. In this case it's extruded - EPS in other words. EPS is also expanded polystyrene - the cheap white stuff. EPP is expanded polypropylene (aka the "bouncy" foam )

There is no printed primer per se (try saying that one 5 times fast!). It just takes a lot of reading in this forum to get a grasp on just what the guys are doing with this stuff. Go through the older stuff too - you'll be amazed at what some of the guys are doing.

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Jul 09, 2006, 11:50 PM
azkeith
Nampa ID
Joined Feb 2005
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arx_n_sparx
Gene: You're wrong - your terminology is right

azkeith: Blucor is polystyrene - aka styrofoam. In this case it's extruded - EPS in other words. EPS is also expanded polystyrene - the cheap white stuff. EPP is expanded polypropylene (aka the "bouncy" foam )

There is no printed primer per se (try saying that one 5 times fast!). It just takes a lot of reading in this forum to get a grasp on just what the guys are doing with this stuff. Go through the older stuff too - you'll be amazed at what some of the guys are doing.

Brad
Thank you both for the info, is EPE expanded polyethylene? if so is it used for models?
I take it Epalor is a specific formulation made in Germany ala Multiplex ?
I will take the time to do a lot of reading here.
TY again. Keith
azkeith is offline Find More Posts by azkeith
Old Jul 10, 2006, 05:50 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
EPE is extruded (Pool Noodles) WE use it, but I know of no Manufacturers using it.

Elapor and Arcel are EPS / EPP 'Alloys' as I understand it, Expanded...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 10, 2006, 07:09 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,125 Posts
AZK... here it is in a nutshell ... EPP is very tough , but expensive... Blucor (FFF) is the most rugged and practical of the foams for its paltry price, but can be wavey ... Depron is available in nice colors and thicknesses , but is somewhat brittle (compared to the others) and again more expensive... Best thing is to learn to use what you can get ...
If you're learning to fly ... get an EPP plane ...it will last long enough for you to get some serious practice .... Then either the Blucor or Depron is FUN to experiment with when you get bitten by the design bug ...TONS of information regarding building with Foam are available here...in the Foamie section ...just ask ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw