HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:28 PM
United States, CA, Salida
Joined Dec 2013
116 Posts
Discussion
Corsair - Which one is best?

I thought I'd get some opinions before moving forward so here goes:

I'm interested in getting a F4U Corsair. I've been flying RC since Jan of this year and feel my skills (while not advanced) are good enough to handle my personal favorite warbird the Corsair. My first warbird was/is a Dynam T-28 Trojan, which I'm happy to say is flying really well after I put all the mods in it. I've also scratch built a P-51 Mustang that I can fly pretty good.

I'm interested in anything from 1100 - 1700 size. I've read a lot of threads on Dynam, Parkzone, FMS, Airfield, BH, Durafly and others. It seems every brand has those who love them or hate them, and every brand needs mods. I'm able to fabricate and enjoy the building aspect so doing mods isn't an issue except for the $. I don't need tons of speed and tend to fly scale with some aerobatics although that might increase as my skills improve.

So here are my questions:

1) Assuming transportation and storage aren't issues what size is best? (I'm leaning towards 1200-1400, although 1700 looks cool)?

2) Assuming money wasn't an issue what brand is best?

3) If money is an issue which brand/size is the best value? (again, I have a Dynam T-28 which was initially inexpensive, but after replacing the ESC, motor, retracts, adding struts, and adding servos to make the flaps functional, not to mention other low or no cost mods, I'm not sure it was cheaper than other brands).

4) Which brand/size needs the fewest mods?

5) Which is the overall best flying plane and size even if a lot of mods have to be done to get it there?

Thanks,

Laury
Laury415 is offline Find More Posts by Laury415
Last edited by Laury415; Jul 15, 2014 at 08:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:56 PM
United States, OH, Mt Vernon
Joined Nov 2010
353 Posts
I have 3 of the Parkzone f4u-1a corsairs (1100MM), fms 800 mm V2 corsair and the fms 1400mm v3 corsair.

For chuck it in the air ease of use, Id go with the parkzone corsair. Just make sure you read the thread and reinforce the aileron and flap hinges unless yours is a later manufactured date one with the hinge tape installed on the flaps.

The 1400mm V3 from fms is a beautiful plane, and flies very nice. comes in easy to land and has a nice float to it. I'd say its the next easiest to fly 1400mm after the fms p51 (being the easiest).

Durafly is made by fms but licensed to hobbyking. I do not have one personally but have heard good reviews about the durafly. I have the durafly stuka in the same size and have no problems with it.

In order of my recommendation ,

1.) parkzone F4u-1a
2.) Durafly Corsair
3.) FMS 1400mm Corsair v3
00Smurf is offline Find More Posts by 00Smurf
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,303 Posts
In my most humble opinion I would say that the Dynam is the best bang for the buck. Good size, cheap power and Dynam has worked out the bugs on this one as it should need no mods.
Now if you like the build process then a GWS Corsair is always a good time on the cheap. Built for slow park flying or silly fast and powerful they do it all very well. Mind you the more you want a GWS Corsair to do the more mods it takes but it still is on the cheap. Here is built for slow park fun and one built for pylon racing. The park flier is $75 minus the radio and the pylon racer is $125 minus radio.
GWS Corsair maiden (5 min 8 sec)

GWS EF-1 racing Corsair. (3 min 50 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:55 AM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
853 Posts
Quote:
3) If money is an issue which brand/size is the best value? (again, I have a Dynam T-28 which was initially inexpensive, but after replacing the ESC, motor, retracts, adding struts, and adding servos to make the flaps functional, not to mention other low or no cost mods, I'm not sure it was cheaper than other brands).

4) Which brand/size needs the fewest mods?
How about an 800? http://www.motionrc.com/fms-f4u-cors...-wingspan-pnp/ $100 all in, great detail, easy flier, and the only mod you need to do is adjust the horizontal stabilizer a bit before you glue it in.

It's one of my favorite planes, and one of the easiest to fly...
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2013
116 Posts
The 800 looks really good and priced right. I was hoping to get something with retracts and flaps. Retracts are often a pain, but I think they look cool and are fun to raise and lower as you do a low fly by. Flaps often help slow the plane to a nice easy speed to land, although stalls can happen.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:40 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury415 View Post
The 800 looks really good and priced right. I was hoping to get something with retracts and flaps. Retracts are often a pain, but I think they look cool and are fun to raise and lower as you do a low fly by. Flaps often help slow the plane to a nice easy speed to land, although stalls can happen.
I use a Lemon stabilized Rx, and programmed in flaperons. My field is all grass, and too bumpy for gear, so the wheels come off when I fly. With the flaperons and stabilizer, it settles in nicely, and lands at a both 5 MPH. The gull wings keep the prop off of the deck, and I've only broken one in about 25 flights.

Last few flights, I put the drop tanks from the P-51 on it, they slide right on. They have stronger mounts than the supplied drop tanks, and are pretty beat up from numerous sorties on the Mustang. They help with orientation as they are silver, and add even more clearance for belly landing. They don't affect performance at all.

Another nice feature of this Corsair is the cowl. It slips on the fuselage, and can be removed and replaced. As the nose of any plane typically takes the most abuse, all you have to do is put a new cowl on, and the plane looks good as new!
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Jul 24, 2014, 04:54 PM
It's only money & foam...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jun 2012
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laury415 View Post
I have the 1100mm Durafly F4U and wanna say it's the most bang for your buck. Flys great. Looks great. Scale 4 blade prop. Retracts. Flaps. Lights. All for around $150 bucks. I really like mine a lot.
P40flyer is offline Find More Posts by P40flyer
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:15 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,453 Posts
Hey Laury The Dynam would be my 1st recommendation based on my experience with it. It flies great out of the box and comes with retracts. Flaps can be added pretty easily. Still enjoying mine!

If price weren't an issue, I would opt for the FMS or even the Airfield (A-RC). The Durafly would also be another good choice, but given the fact that you already have the Dynam T-28, I am guessing that going smaller wouldn't be as rewarding, size wise.

In the end, there are lots of great options out there in terms of Corsairs. A little bit for everyone

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Aug 21, 2014, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2013
116 Posts
I picked up a Tower Hobby Corsair from a guy getting out of the RC Hobby. He was having trouble walking and couldn't retrieve the planes.

The plane does fly but I'm redoing a bunch of stuff. I don't think he knew what he was doing.

He put in a Turnigy G10 1100KV motor which I think is too big of a motor for this plane. He was also running a 9x6 gas motor prop. It is a lot more durable then the E props I use. I'm wondering what the downsides are to this prop. He has a 20A esc, but the motor is rated at 32a and calls for a 40a esc. The wing is new, but he screwed up the landing gear so I'm trying to figure out something to design that will be a good replacement. He also gave me the old wing which was broken, but glued back together. I might experiment with the old wing and add flaps. The fuselage is solid, but the paint makes it look like it has been beat up.

I flew the plane and couple times and had a few less then graceful landings (ok one of them was a crash). One thing I will say is it is a tough bird. Rough landings or crashes on any of my other planes would have resulting in damage, but with this one no damage, not even to the prop.

This isn't exactly the Corsair I was looking for, but overall it was a great price and will be a fun project.