HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:00 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Discussion
I lost my J-3 Cub today

Due to my own stupidity, I lost my UM J-3 Cub today. Here's how it went. I flew the J-3 first, going through 3 batteries. When I was done flying it, I put it on top of my car. I then proceeded to fly my UM T-28.

After a few flights with the T-28, I went back to the car to find the J-3 gone. It then dawned on me that I never took the battery out of the J-3. I can only assume that when I flew the T-28, the J-3 was still bound and off she went.

The area consist of a large parking lot, a couple of baseball fields, a one story school, a cemetery and a lot of trees. I drove around looking for the J-3 but could not find it.

I'm a little bummed. The J-3 was one of my first planes I got. I used to fly it when I was going through chemo and it used to provide relief from all the crazy side effects. It also had lights on it and I used to fly it last during dusk flying.

I have some chores to do around the house, but when I'm done, I'm going to go back to the area to see if I have any luck finding it. I'll report back.
akozols is offline Find More Posts by akozols
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:23 AM
Joined Apr 2005
343 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Bradley Crandall is offline Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2009
117 Posts
Hmmmn

Can't imagine it went far; look how quickly our planes can spiral in when losing perspective. I have trouble believing it could even get airborne, tk
tomykay12 is offline Find More Posts by tomykay12
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:25 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,083 Posts
Hi, I really hope that you can find her due to the sentimental aspect (actually if that was not the case I would find this story pretty funny).

However, I don’t think that it would have flown too far if controlling another aircraft, are you sure that someone didn’t liberate it whilst you were looking at the aircraft which you were flying???
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:11 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Hi, I really hope that you can find her due to the sentimental aspect (actually if that was not the case I would find this story pretty funny).

However, I donít think that it would have flown too far if controlling another aircraft, are you sure that someone didnít liberate it whilst you were looking at the aircraft which you were flying???
I have to agree, it IS a funny story. I'm over the loss and will have to get something to replace it. I actually just sold a cheapo guitar and was going to get another plane, but my son's saving up for a Crack Yak and I'll give the money to him instead.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:05 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,701 Posts
my um mig took off a table once but didnt go very far. i'm pretty sure your plane has to be somewhere very close and hiding strategically in some bushes or something. things usually are closer than you expect.

really sucks though. i'd rather wreck a plane/component than lose it. at least there's closure.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:30 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
I drove field today and made a few circles around the area. I even looked up into the trees,,,,,,no luck.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:36 PM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
236 Posts
Today I went to my LHS to get a replacement for my J-3. I scrapped some aluminum and fetched $90. I ended up getting an Ares Taylorcraft. While I was there I told them about "losing" the Cub. They all got a kick out of the story. Life goes on..............