HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:03 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Sep 2012
352 Posts
Prop is a 6x4R. CG is currently on the center spar. I will double check the ailerons to make sure there both parallel to the wing but I'm fairly sure they are.

The motor is with in a degree or two of parallel with the rest of the plane.

I'm going off all of this for memory. I'm stopping over where we keep it tonight so I will double check all of this as well.
hcker2000 is offline Find More Posts by hcker2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:21 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,309 Posts
The plans show significant down-thrust for the motor, probably because the body/fuselage is a significant contributor to lift and the designer's choice in airfoil.

ETA: I looked at the plans, the wing has positive incidence as well. This was meant to be a good second airplane after your trainer, so a lot of the design went into making it 'easy' to fly. My guess is that you'll have to redo the firewall or shim the motor around to get the downthrust where it needs to be.
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Last edited by Dave Campbell; Aug 23, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:49 AM
United States, WA, Mt Vernon
Joined Jun 2014
143 Posts
Quite a lovely looking plane! Is there plans available online?
MiZer1981 is offline Find More Posts by MiZer1981
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:18 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,309 Posts
Not that I know of, but the kits are still out there.
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
The plans show significant down-thrust for the motor, probably because the body/fuselage is a significant contributor to lift and the designer's choice in airfoil.

ETA: I looked at the plans, the wing has positive incidence as well. This was meant to be a good second airplane after your trainer, so a lot of the design went into making it 'easy' to fly. My guess is that you'll have to redo the firewall or shim the motor around to get the downthrust where it needs to be.
Thats a good thing to check. I'm hoping I get a chance to work on this some time this week so I can test fly it again.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:02 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
948 Posts
The plane looks really tail heavy in the video, or is that user input?

You can always move the CG forward and reduce the wing incidence, to get something with a more modern flight style. Adding engine downthrust will only reduce the climb a little while under full throttle, chop the throttle and the model climbs from the airspeed and wing incidence...
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
352 Posts
My friend is the one who flew it for the first time as he has more experience with plains than I. He said he had to give it up elevator to keep it from nose diving. So thats probably what it looks tail heavy.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,344 Posts
Pilot didn't have the elevator trim set up so every time he backed off the stick it dived some causing it to bounce around the flying field
Or its possible he had used all the available up trim and still lacked enough to keep it level.
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:38 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
948 Posts
Aha, okey...
That's sound like a simple CG problem then, or possibly the rudder surfaces are not set neutral (both wing and stabilizer surfaces should be checked).
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:31 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,344 Posts
He may have had the elevator set up with some down in conjunction with a forward CG. Via not enough trim. I just love a good maiden that was a bit of a low flying nail biter.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 08:04 AM
Joined Sep 2012
352 Posts
Trims were set to center points for this first flight. I'm going to double check the ailerons to make sure they are parallel to the wings but I'm almost positive they are.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:12 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,344 Posts
Yes if anything add a hair down on both to give you a tad flap for lift or move the cg back some so the next person to fly it doesn't run out of elevator trim.
Note you cannot move the cg much or it won't track well.. will be like flying on a ball bearing or standing on a ball. Could be the horizontal stab in relation to the thrust line the incidence in the wing is off and is driving the nose down. Also ask the pilot if he added all the up trim he could while flying some folks in the predicament can't take their fingers off the sticks for one second to adjust the trim as the situation is too dire.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
352 Posts
No trim adjustments were attempted as it was far to much for that. The pilot said about 1/4 stick of up elevator to make it fly like that.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,344 Posts
ahhhh thats great news! We all have to go through the crucial trim moments and some just can't dare to take the fingers off the sticks long enough to make the adjustments so dial in some up with the trim left in the center for the next flight and try again you CG may be just fine sometimes its a incidence difference with wing vs horizontal stab.
Or there was some down in the trim of the elevator to start.
Or the ailerons had some equal up in them.
Being short coupled between rear stab and wing there is a fine line to work with.