HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2014, 02:31 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Geel
Joined Jun 2013
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Be very careful with this.

I routinely use a programmed mix in that way to provide a throttle safety on my fixed-wing airplane models and carried the practice over to multi-copters. I found out the hard way that it was not a good idea when the switch was inadvertently activated in flight. On an airplane model that is not necessarily catastrophic but in this case it resulted in the copter dropping out of the sky like a stone. Switch F on the Taranis is particularly dangerous because of the exposed location.
Not sure how you would accidentally trigger it midflight, but just to be sure,thats why I have the voice confirmation + an alarm if you throttle up with the safety enabled. On a mulirotor I might not use it, because you can arm/disarm through a stick combination. But on a fixed wing plane, no way Im taking that out. Here is why:

This is why you need a safety switch on the throttle (0 min 22 sec)

As for the value being -125; good point, Ill change that to -100
Vertigo72 is online now Find More Posts by Vertigo72
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2014, 02:36 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
Just for clarification, are you saying that even though I have a haptic unit installed and am testing it with 1.99, it will not work until 2.0 is released.
Haptic is in the nighty builds since Apr 30th, but untested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty12 View Post
Just to clarify a 'long time' with other modules can be 5-30 minutes for a first time startup. GPS modules with battery backup, from what I've read, build a database of sat locations so a startup from a regularly used module can be under 30 seconds.
And GPS modules are very sensitive to interference. On my mini H quad with FPV TX right next to it it will simply never get a lock, while if I take the GPS out it locks in a couple of minutes.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old May 03, 2014, 03:34 AM
United Kingdom, Bradford
Joined Jul 2010
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmorgan View Post
Had mine working from day 1 you need to be patient for the first time and of course outside under a clear sky.

Once the satellites have been found you will see coordinates in the telemetry screen, from then on 'discovery' is quicker.

David
I flew my quad with it on last night and it was plugged in for maybe 25mins and I did not get any readings back, you don't have to configure anything in the TX do you, longitude and latitude just remained with dashes in the taranis screen
omegamanuk is offline Find More Posts by omegamanuk
Old May 03, 2014, 04:03 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2013
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegamanuk View Post
I flew my quad with it on last night and it was plugged in for maybe 25mins and I did not get any readings back, you don't have to configure anything in the TX do you, longitude and latitude just remained with dashes in the taranis screen
Nothing required!, if plugged in correctly to the SPort you will see a screen in telemetry showing lat and Long, it will have no data until the satellites have been locked on.

If you have other devices I'd suggesting just doing the GPS V2 at first.

From memory my first lock was about 3-5 minutes to happen, since then every time no longer than 90 seconds even on a cloudy day.

You can see where mine is located

David
djmorgan is online now Find More Posts by djmorgan
Old May 03, 2014, 04:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlobby View Post
I just stumbled on this info about the new "budget" DS-14 Jeti, They stripped the software and you can buy back the stuff you need :
http://www.jetimodel.com/en/Brochures/
Add it all up and you can buy 2 Taranii ;-) ( 373,- ~$ 505,-)
I know its off topic, but just could not resist.
Still way more buttons and switches than I need for a 6 channel pod and boom helicopter.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old May 03, 2014, 07:23 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Geel
Joined Jun 2013
1,038 Posts
Pointless, but I got the "jukebox" working Rotating S1 switches between 4 songs.

Yara (1 min 16 sec)
Vertigo72 is online now Find More Posts by Vertigo72
Old May 03, 2014, 07:29 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo72 View Post
Not sure how you would accidentally trigger it midflight, but just to be sure,thats why I have the voice confirmation + an alarm if you throttle up with the safety enabled. On a mulirotor I might not use it, because you can arm/disarm through a stick combination. But on a fixed wing plane, no way Im taking that out.
I would not take it out on my fixed-wing model either. We are on the same track there but it was not clear what kind of model your mix was for. Your post was directed at newcomers. My comment was to make it clear that it was not advisable for MRs.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old May 03, 2014, 08:28 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltrc View Post
Please follow the official instructions in the pdf. The product image was merely a quick photo FS sent me when the product was ready. I have taken this down.
Thanks. That's what I did, but the unit isn't working.

Has anyone got theirs working yet?

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old May 03, 2014, 08:29 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Northern versus Southern Hemisphere?
You're a jack ass.

Later;

D.W.
Old May 03, 2014, 08:46 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Haptic is in the nighty builds since Apr 30th, but untested.
I am using the build from yesterday (2014/05/02) and it is not working. I have 3.2 volts on the power lead, but do not see anything on the signal wire.

Here is how I am trying to use it.

Later;

D.W.
Old May 03, 2014, 12:50 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo72 View Post
Not sure how you would accidentally trigger it midflight, but just to be sure,thats why I have the voice confirmation + an alarm if you throttle up with the safety enabled. On a mulirotor I might not use it, because you can arm/disarm through a stick combination. But on a fixed wing plane, no way Im taking that out.
I use "Sticky Throttle" safety on all my planes. It's an awesome feature.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old May 03, 2014, 03:42 PM
Joined Dec 2013
72 Posts
Hoping that someone can help me. I have a SP-FLVS connected to my Taranis to show both the total cell and single cell voltages. Seems to work fine but it always reads a few hundredths of a volt off (3.68 instead of actual 3.72 volts). In fact, what I get over telemetry doesn't match which is displayed on the screen of the SP-FLVS.

I did a search and can't find anyone who has had this problem but I have two of these sensors and they both do the same thing. Is there a way to calibrate the telemetry voltages on the Taranis?
gadgetware is offline Find More Posts by gadgetware
Old May 03, 2014, 04:38 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,627 Posts
I have been searching for a SP-FLVS and can't find anone with it. Must be looking in the wrong places. Couldn't even find it on the FrSky site. Maybe I was too tired.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old May 03, 2014, 04:53 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,371 Posts
There is no SP-FLVS.

If you are looking for the FLVSS, BoltRC has them in Perth for 18 bucks.

http://boltrc.com/index.php?route=pr...product_id=359
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old May 03, 2014, 04:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Switch F on the Taranis is particularly dangerous because of the exposed location.
I did replace the switch with a self locking one like this: http://cfnewsads.thomasnet.com/image...531/531556.jpg

No unintended operation possible..
har1 is offline Find More Posts by har1