SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Discussion
Metal Mig

Well since traffic in the het mig21 thread has pretty well died off, I thought I'd start a new thread showing my aluminum heavy (I know ) metal Het Mig 21 . I'll be flying this using flaperons to land .The fuselage is mostly covered in individual pieces of aluminum tape except for the long seamless area up by the nose which is .005 aluminum sheet attached with 3m77 . The wing is covered with one piece of .005 aluminum sheet from KS hobbies. The panels on the wing sheet were scribed in and preriveted BEFORE attaching to the wing with 3M. Still a work in progress , need to do the bottom of the wings and fuse , build some wing fences to cover the flaperon actuator linkage .Build an intake duct with nose spike , paint a few details etc etc ..
pencon is offline Find More Posts by pencon
Last edited by pencon; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Comments or questions are welcome (am I crazy ? that's gonna be heavy etc )
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,048 Posts
Looks fantastic sir!...if it comes out a little heavy then great, better to see it if it's flying slower!
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:45 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,580 Posts
What is the AUW?

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Thanks Nighthawk .I haven't weighed it yet AirX , still working on it .I haven't even gotten the battery for it yet , still deciding whether to go 5S with Het 6904 impellor in an alloy Lander housing , Het 1w-40 (have the motor) or same motor with 4S and Changesun 12 blade . At least the 4S option will save a little weight .Also have to build the ducting for the intake plus nose cone (where I can add nose weight if I need to ).I'm hoping it won't weigh much more than a painted version . The Het migs I've seen sofar on video come in pretty gentle on just tailerons , and I'm going to have flaperons on this .
Last edited by pencon; Feb 11, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Another angle .I'm thinking of painting it like the model in the pic , just a few stripes and markings
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:02 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
931 Posts
pencon

Nice metal work on your Mig-21 is one of my favorite Russian jets. I'm lucky that there is a real Mig-21 2 seat trainer that fly's from our local Airport in DeKalb,IL. I've talked to the pilot a few times he told me the Mig-21 Landing speed is very high he normally touches down about 195MPH! He said if it gets below 190 it can stall out on him. Here is a video what is wild to me the rear seat can't see forward so there is a telescopic mirror just above the rear pilot seat so the pilot can see forward. In the video at time 4:02 there is a camera shot of what the pilot sees. Lastly when the Mig-21 is flying you know it! The jet noise is loud and very unique! Enjoy!
sorry for hijacking the thread

Flying the MiG-21UM (5 min 39 sec)
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:38 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Nice.

I would mold it and make a composite one. Or one hundred.

And light.

Fantastic!

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Scalecraft , do you think it would be possible to mold this without damaging it ? I've thought of doing exactly that but would like to keep the aluminum version and fly it as well .I bet if it were done in epoxy and some carbon roving it would be really light .I do have a bottle of west systems epoxy doing nothing on the shelf and a whole bunch of glass cloth on the bench ..I would just be paranoid of the original getting stuck and cracking while trying to pry it out . Do you think the rivet detail would show up in a mold ?I checked out the attachments in your profile and see you've done a lot of metallic finishes yourself . Awesome work on the 104 !
Last edited by pencon; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Bad Lemmon thanks for the video , it's a contribution not a hijack I haven't seen a twin cockpit version before .Really cool with the rear view POV. I'm still waiting for the IL2 1946 fighter sim people to come out with the Mig21 . They're up to the Mig19 now and the F4 (My other Favorite jet) Check out this link , if you have a powerful computer and strong video card this sim is freakin awesome ! From Biplanes all the way to the Jet age of almost EVERY fighter and bomber ever built .Offline or multiplayer .I've played this continuously modded sim since 2002 . http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.ph...c,19262.0.html Best part , it's only 10$ or so on Gog.com.http://www.gog.com/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946
Last edited by pencon; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencon View Post
Scalecraft , do you think it would be possible to mold this without damaging it ? I've thought of doing exactly that but would like to keep the aluminum version and fly it as well .I bet if it were done in epoxy and some carbon roving it would be really light .I do have a bottle of west systems epoxy doing nothing on the shelf and a whole bunch of glass cloth on the bench ..I would just be paranoid of the original getting stuck and cracking while trying to pry it out . Do you think the rivet detail would show up in a mold ?I checked out the attachments in your profile and see you've done a lot of metallic finishes yourself . Awesome work on the 104 !
Thanks

Yes it's possible. But........... it could take some damage where the epoxy may mechanically anchor to the air frame. Or if you miss a section with wax or PVA.

By damage I mean pulling off some of the alum panels.

I was surprised to see my 104s plug stay together so well. I did wax it around 5 times along with a layer of PVA. The 104 was solid low density foam.

It comes down to a question or two: Do you want to preserve the all work you have put into this model forever? Do I want more than one

I do this because I have scale models seconds after lift off crash. It's comforting to know I can make another one in a few days. And very cost effective.

The 104, I can get one out of the mold every 1 or 2 days depending on time and weather. And motivation to lay up.

Also, with plastic model paint methods, one can make the epoxy glass model look like aluminum. One of my 104s will have the aluminum look with various shaded panels where needed.

Every detail will show up, just as in the plug. One can tone the details up or down with washes and shading,calks,ect. No fuel to worry about in edf.

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
How many layers of cloth and what weight would you use on a model of this scale ? Would I use a fine layer first , say .75 oz cloth then a couple of 4 oz layers ? I've done some glassing but no molds other than a couple of cowl molds for extra 300s years back as well as glassing a few fuselages with .75 oz cloth .
Last edited by pencon; Feb 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
Scalecraft , what about filling the fuse with expanding foam for the plug work , (then melting it back out with solvent or gas after the mold is pulled off) to avoid it flexing or cracking while trying to break it loose ?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Expanding foam will keep expanding beyond what your gonna want as it cures. It bulged one of our plugs years ago. Memorable lesson.

What is you model made of? Wood frame/balsa skin?? Then glassed.

On the glass question. Do you mean for a flying wood model, or a plug (non flying), or for the mold, or for a composite flying fuse??

The first glass fuse out of my molds for my 104 (see posts), the glass fuse I have had one layer of skin coat resin (polyester) cured, and one 6oz layer. This one fuse is for testing and getting CG location and throws. My next one will be skin coat epoxy, 1 4oz, 1 6oz maybe. Depends on wood framing results from first one along with duct support on fuse as well.

The fuse is 69" long and came in at 1lbs, 5oz. resin rich due to cold weather. The fuse is big and kinda "fat" since it follows the scale lines off acutual 3view since i only needed an exterior shape, and does not taper in the aft section as most 104 models might.

Steve
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,480 Posts
The model is a Het model and is made of I believe polyester resin , Balsa over foam wings glassed with .75 oz cloth and west systems epoxy then covered with aluminum sheeting .Never heard of skin coat epoxy or polyester. Do these take on a better fine detail ?