HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:52 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2004
99 Posts
New Product
New FPV System: PitLab OSD+Autopilot+ground station with telemetry, tracking antenna

I would like to present our new FPV system including:
- OSD with graphic engine. It displays 4 screens: 2 fixed and 2 user defineable. All objects on the screen can be moved and configured by the user via our FPV Manager software. Connection between hardware and software is via standard mini USB cable. No USB drivers are required.
Support 9 waypoints settable via software and visible on the FPV screen during flight.
The OSD has several menus available in 4 languages: EN, PL, FR and DE. Other languages can be prepared and installed.
Working alone, the OSD take model position, course and altitude from GPS. When working with autopilot can take more precise data about altitude and course from autopilot's sensors. Also working with autopilot has possibility to display artificial horizon usable in low vision conditions: in the dark or clouds. Can also generate audible variometer tone.
Has multiple colour connectors for easy installation. It support NMEA GPS (without magnetometer installed) on the blue socket, 50A current and voltage sensor on the 3-pin red socket, Eagle Tree airspeed sensor on the yellow I2C port connector and temperature sensor on the Analog Input in black connector.
Driving between menu positions on the ground is possible with 3 button keyboard, in flight possible via free RC channel with 3-position switch.
The OSD needs 12 V power supply for camera and AV transmitter, and 5 V power supply for it's digital part taken from autopilot or from RC receiver (4-pin red socket).

- Autopilot with full IMU supporting all basic fixed wing configurations. It has possibility to automatic return to home in case of the RC link lost.
It has 3 working modes: OFF - with manual control, STAB - with automatic plane stabilization on the position set by user via RC link, AUTO - full automatic flight to next waypoint or base if no waypoints defined.
It has also color connectors for GPS (shared with OSD) and possibility to connect more sensors in future.
RC receiver can be connected in 3 ways: all channels in parallel, serial PPM and Futaba S-Bus (not supported yet in software).
Autopilot needs 5 V power supply from servo connector.

- Last component is Ground Station. It has tracking antenna driver, 2 channel diversity based on video signal analysis, 3 outputs video splitter, telemetry decoder and SD card logger, current meter, color LCD display with touch screen.

Some example flight made by our users you can see on YouTube
The system can be ordered in PitLab.Shop. Is available in kits or separately.

Manuals:
OSD user's manual
Autopilot user's manual
Ground Station users manual
Autopilot tuning step by step
pitlab is offline Find More Posts by pitlab
Last edited by pitlab; Mar 20, 2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Lunks update
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:20 PM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
416 Posts
New system, but it can hardly be called newbie.
It is straight continuation of probably first graphical OSD for FPV enthusiast: Zbig's M644 OSD, and complementary autopilot, described here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=zbig

Now improved, ARMed :-), well tested: among others by my own wife, flying my beloved airplane (or beloved wife flying my own airplane?) and easy to use.

p.s. yes, I was involved in this project
Zbig is online now Find More Posts by Zbig
Last edited by Zbig; Jan 17, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
Looks like a cool product.
henkvdw is online now Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 9CHPS
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 AM
Poland, Silesian Voivodeship, Tarnowskie Gory
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Yes it is. I have this system and use it for a year. Despite the fact that it is ready, engineers are still open to any suggestions. Now we are waiting for the next part of a ground station.

I recommend this product.
zbipok is offline Find More Posts by zbipok
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:52 AM
KJ6BFN
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Aug 2008
732 Posts
The current sensor is rated 50A. What happens if the 50A is exceeded? Does the sensor fail and power is lost or does it just sense to 50A?
henkvdw is online now Find More Posts by henkvdw
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 9CHPS
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
Here are more details.
http://www.pitlab.com/pitlabshop/fpv-system.html
Last edited by zbipok; Mar 21, 2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:07 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
416 Posts
There is a bunch of sensors available with different current limits. In any case overcurrent causes only cliping (OSD shows max value), but all sensors are rated to measure up to 150% overcurrent.
In fact sensors are dedicated and rated for 5V DAC, but OSD uses 3.3V sensing range, so "nominal" 50A sensor has limit 30A with OSD, 100A sensor has 70A limit and so one.
Anyway there is quite high overcurrent margin for these sensors.
Last edited by Zbig; Jan 18, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:15 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
This looks very good! Just two things i like to know: Does it support sppm? Because conntecting all cables from rc receiver to osd is a huge mess. One calbe is much better.

Is there any other way to navigate through the screens without using the osd menu ? I switch screens quite often during flight and entering the menu every time seems a bit to complicated.
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:39 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2004
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabazul View Post
Does it support sppm?
Yes it support, on channel 1 (Aileron 1). Also have hardware support for S-Bus (build in inverters on UART lines)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabazul View Post
Is there any other way to navigate through the screens without using the osd menu ? I switch screens quite often during flight and entering the menu every time seems a bit to complicated.
Other methods will need another free channel to switch the screens. One more channel is usually much more problematic then navigating through menu.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:59 AM
Joined Oct 2011
11 Posts
I've been using this system for 6 months. It's truly Superb and I highly recomend it !!!! Soo easy to setup and configure, it just flies great right from the box. What i really like is that you can configure the layout however You like and instantly hide parameters in flight with just one switch click. Autopilot works great, it saved my plane few times when video link went down. As Zbipok said, engineers listen to our opininons and develop product (often firmware updates).

With GroundStation (lcd panel) it's gonna be one of the best setups one the market.
Hipek is offline Find More Posts by Hipek
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:05 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
416 Posts
Switching between 4 available screens requires menu navigation,
but there is function for fast switching between full contents of selected screen, minimal view with some items hidden and clean view (OSD overlay OFF).
Fast switching is made with this same 3-state RC channel - just move switch from neutral position to max position and back. So in most cases you don't need do use menu.
In two user layouts you can freely decide which items shoud be visible in "minimal wiew" and which should be hidden.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:43 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,586 Posts
How is autopilot modes activated?
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:53 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2004
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
By a free RC channel with 3-position switch for modes: OFF,STAB and AUTO.
For whole system we need 2 channels: first for menu navigation in OSD, second for Autopilot.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:18 AM
Joined Feb 2012
69 Posts
In autopilot mode, once did a funny thing. After reaching the base model circled on it at a constant height. At the time I left the remote control unit to the ground. Then I started the second plane and flew for a few minutes with the two planes.
Me and my autopilot in fact.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:50 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Oct 2006
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
As mentioned before, modes are activated by RC channel.
To be more specific AUTOnomous flight mode has 3 sub-modes, activated by throttle stick position:
Throttle to idle - > RTH (return to home)
Throttle to mid -> fly through waypoints (up to 9 waypoints allowed)
Throttle to max -> circle at current point

Of course you should program appropriate fail-safe mode in your receiver to activate RTH mode in case of RC link lost.