SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
55 Posts
Discussion
Trimming with servos reversed

I am fairly new to this hobby, and am trying to sort out trimming functions on the Turnigy 9x v2. I have the elevator servo reversed, and this appears to have also reversed the trim adjuster on the transmitter, that is, if I trim the elevator up whilst flying, the elevator actually moves down, even tho the indicator on the transmitter is moving up. Is this how it is supposed to work, and if so, what system do flyers use to remember which way to move the trim switches?

Dave
suzygs1000 is offline Find More Posts by suzygs1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
316 Posts
You always move the trim switch the direction you'd move the stick to get the same effect. For example, since you move the elevator stick down (or toward you) to get the plane to go up, you move the trim switch one click down to get the plane to go up a little more than it was before. Same thing right and left.

On my Spektrum transmitters, the little indicator on the display moves the same way (down if I click down, etc.).

The servo being reversed makes no difference.

Oh, now I see your point. Yes, if you mean "trim the elevator up" meaning you push the "up" trim (away from you), yes, that makes the plane go down, and it does that by the elevator moving down.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzygs1000 View Post
I am fairly new to this hobby, and am trying to sort out trimming functions on the Turnigy 9x v2. I have the elevator servo reversed, and this appears to have also reversed the trim adjuster on the transmitter, that is, if I trim the elevator up whilst flying, the elevator actually moves down, even tho the indicator on the transmitter is moving up. Is this how it is supposed to work, and if so, what system do flyers use to remember which way to move the trim switches?

Dave
I just gotta ask - why don't you reverse the elevator on xmitter to straighten it out. You're not flying it that way are you?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:45 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,404 Posts
It sounds like it's working normally and you're just a little confused . The indicators are giving you information about the digital trim setting within the radio, not the position of the control surface on the plane. The reversing has nothing to do with this.

When you click the trim switch down (toward you, toward the bottom of the radio), the onscreen indicator should go down. The elevator on the plane should move up. Moving the control stick the same direction should produce the same effect. This is known as "up elevator" input and will make the plane's nose pitch up in flight.

Pushing the trim up (away from you, toward to top of the transmitter) should make the indicator go up. Pushing the control stick up should make the plane's elevator go down. This will cause the plane to pitch down in flight.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:50 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzygs1000 View Post
Is this how it is supposed to work, and if so, what system do flyers use to remember which way to move the trim switches?

Dave
The trim levers move in the same direction as the stick. Forward (up depending on how you hold the transmitter) moves the elevator down and back towards you (down depending on how you move the transmitter moves the elevator up.

Theoretically if you hold the transmitter at 90 degress to your body it's as if your sitting in a plane, push the stick forward you go down, pull the stick to your belly and you climb.

Sounds like you're moving the stick backwards (?) are you pushing up to go up? and pulling down to go down? If that's what you're doing, then yes, the trim levers would move in the opposite direction.l

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
which way is the antenna pointing????????????????????????/
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates