HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined May 2001
332 Posts
Discussion
Triton charger - set Mah over or under Lipo battery capacity?

I am charging 325 Mah lipos with a Triton charger.

The Triton can be set to 300 mah, or 350 mah, but not 325.

Am I safe to set it at 350, or do I need to stay at 300?

I'd like to get every possible electron into the lipos!

thanks

John
John Webb is offline Find More Posts by John Webb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 12:32 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Assuming you mean 325mAh.

Are you trying to set the charge rate? If so, the rate is mA, not mAh.

You could probably charge at high as 1A (or 1,000mA) safely.
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old May 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined May 2001
332 Posts
On the Triton charger I can specify the mAh capacity of the battery, and the voltage (7.4 v in this case for 2 cell lipos) as shown in the attached photo.

What I'm not sure of is if I can set the charger to 350mAh for a 325mAh capacity battery. Will that overcharge the lipo?

As mentioned above the Triton can not be set to 325mAh, just 300 and 350.

thanks
Old May 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
It looks like ElectriFly has dumbed-down the charging interface in an attempt to force people to charge at a 1C rate.

Try setting the charger for 350mAh and watch the charger to observe the rate. It will likely be 350mA.

I doubt that the charger will try to put 350mAh into the battery.
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA
Old May 11, 2012, 02:39 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,908 Posts
I'm not personally familiar with the new Triton chargers (I had an original Triton) but this "generic" information applies to virtually every programmable charger I've used and I've used quite a few over the years:

The mAh setting is typically only important if you use the automatic charge cycle settings (in other words, you let the charger choose the charge rate based on the battery). If you charge in manual mode (set your own rates) the mAh setting doesn't really do anything except possibly prevent you from charging over 1C.

A LiPo charge mode doesn't end a charge cycle based on the mAh put back into a battery. Some chargers do have a safety setting which will end a charge cycle if you exceed a set amount of mAh, but that's essentially a safety net and doesn't play a role in typical charge cycles. Under normal conditions a LiPo charger will throttle and then end a charge cycle based on pack voltage or, in the case of some balancing chargers, the highest individual cell voltage.

The bottom line is close counts (mAh setting) as long as you are setting the charge current. In that case I'd recommend the higher setting because the lower setting may not let you charge at 1C.

Summary (provided you don't want to charge at more than a 1C rate):

Set your charger to LiPo mode.
Set your cell count to the right number of cells (or 3.7 volts X the number of cells)
Set the mAh (capacity) to 350.
Set the mA (charge rate) to 325 (0.325 A).

For what it's worth, a 350mA charge rate for a 325mAh battery pack is only 1.08C and that extra 0.08C is insignificant in every sense of the word, so you can also just go with that.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old May 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined May 2001
332 Posts
thanks Pete

that confirms what I was thinking - that the slightly lower or higher charge rate doesn't really matter other than taking slightly less or slightly more time to charge, but the battery will be fully charged at the end based on the voltage - not on how many mAh went into the charge.