Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:24 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I gave up on the hot rods since I couldn't keep my foot out of the carb. One of my favorites was a real sleeper. Old LTD police interceptor that would pass just about anything but a gas station. My favorite thing was to wait a the bottom of the grade up to my town till a Vett was coming down the road then pull out in from of them and go real slow to piss them off. Soon as they'd lay on the horn I'd drop the hammer and see if they could keep up. I had more than one Vett owner want to buy that car by the time we got up the hill to town. Also went through a 69 RoadRunner with a 440 Mag. I got REAL GOOD at rebuilding Mopar trannies cause I had to replace the syncro blocks about every three months. Had lot of fun back in the day but my wallet decided it liked me to keep the money in it instead of shucking it out on traffic fines. Model sailplanes are a LOT cheaper to own and operate!! ( ...well most of the time )
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:27 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Any Time Tony needs someone to pick up your slack just let me know Sean. Give you more time for play with his toys and give me a shot at them as well.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:39 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
These kids don't have a clue about what it all about, btw what makes those mufflers so loud as i guy went down my street one day and my ears hurt for a hour after?

Have you guys seen the movie ' Fracture ' with Antony Hopkins as he does a neat burn out in a cool Porsche , each time i watch the film i replay that a few times to get my speed fix for the day plus it is a good flick too.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Get in line Jeff.

OK folks, down to business. My shop is PACKED and I have to thin out some stuff. I'd rather keep it in the family so any of you real builders interested in some FF kits or small electric kits PM me. Oh, also a couple of 90's vintage HL kits. I'm not going to put this stuff down in the classified right now. Need the room and need the unaccountable (from momma) cash for a new toy (not RC) that I am itching for.

On to real business. As soon as I get the cave under control I'll be ready to get back to the table.

Here's the stuff I am dying to get flying but have to decide what order. Chime in with opinions:

Oly III (unstarted)

2 Marauders (framed up, mostly sanding and covering left)

Smooth Genie Pro ( Wings 3/4 framed, tail feathers complete, fuse complete)

Probably should be one of the last two but I REALLY want to get an OIII in the air.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:02 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Sean

Just line them up and do a inny - minny - miney moe each day and they all get done at about the same time, simple!!

G Don
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
I wish it were simple GDon. I guess I should finish the Marauders since I can get them flying the fastest. I don't hold a lot of hope for the SGP. I've built some Genies and they are awesome flyers but this one with built up wings and rough airfoils................I just don't know. I have had a lot of ideas bouncing around in my head since I built that first OIII. I think I can get it light and pretty slick. Still think it would be way cool to build two wings, RES and full house and swap back and forth. I spanked a couple of moldies in MOM fun flys with the Marauder (#1) and I suspect the OIII can be better.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:01 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
If it were me I would knock out one of the Marauders and get it in the air. Nothing like a little "instant" gratification to motivate you into another, longer build. Save the second Marauder for when you need a little change of scenery on the bigger builds. Again it would recharge the batteries to get something else finished to help you finish the Oly III or SGP. But hey that's just me.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Well, the Marauder situation is that I framed up two at the same time, one new one for me and one for my boss. My old one finally bit the dust when some previous damage reared it's ugly head on a hard launch (flutter at an unexpected time). I can't show up at the field with my new one without his being RTF. He's been patient but I'm a year behind so I guess I gotta finish them.

I may put the SGP up for sale since I just can't get enthusiastic about it.

I KNOW the Marauders will fly fantastically. No complaints about the Marauder, it penetrates wind surprisingly well considering the airfoil and launches are a thing to behold. And that's stock, no fancy CF added, no up-sizing shear webs, it just goes on step and climbs like a stripe- ape.

I just think, with the ideas that I have, that the OIII can hurt some moldy flyers feelings. I need to get it done and fly at the next Mid-South Nats. I did pretty well (2nd place) in my class with a ratty moldie. I can't imagine that the OIII built right can't equal that dog I was flying last April.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Just finish the first Marauder and give to your boss. Then move onto the next big project and keep the second Marauder for when you need a quick finish.

Easy...

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:44 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Just finish the first Marauder and give to your boss. Then move onto the next big project and keep the second Marauder for when you need a quick finish.

Easy...

Wayne
Probably the best plan.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:34 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
G Don - Fracture is an awesome movie, one of my favourites. Anthony Hopkins is brilliant in it, and yeah that Porsche scene isn't bad either!

My weapons of choice are a 1980 Chrysler Valiant with a 245 straight six (bit of work) and a 2000 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm (SuperHawk for you Yanks ). Cruising is the Vals forte, the Firestorm is the one that gives me my adrenaline rush!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Hey, G Don! Morning! It' has a 351 Cleveland, open camber heads, full roller valve train. All Jag suspension, XKE in the front, narrowed XJS in the rear. It was a lot of fun to build!

Al
I just have to ask. Was it a kit or a scratch build?

I'll probably end up with the Factory Five kit on of these decades if the litigious society doesn't get them first.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:08 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Biongk

That is one mean looking scooter, my 75' Yamaha TT 500 dirt bike had about 32 hp just can't imagine what these new bikes would feel like with all the power of today.

My buddys new KTM 540 has 65 hp and that is a handfull in the dirt, my TT was enough for me and you could get hurt real easy if not carefull with it.

Fun times sliding the fireroad turns just like road racing in the dirt.

Be carefull on the beauty and keep the shiney side up.

G Don
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:15 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Lacquerhead

Do those guys in Colorado make a kit or are their Cobra's turn key, from what i have seen in Autoweek they look very nice and all designed with CAD and nc stuff.

I think they make their own alum 427' side oiler now too.

G Don
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:21 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,220 Posts
Sean.. Finish the Oly III and let me know what freeflight kits you have!

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl