SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:11 PM
Embraer 120's Rule
Stilwell, Kansas
Joined Aug 2004
10 Posts
Discussion
Questions from a noob

After spending a significant amount of time on the forums; I've got a few questions. I've had some bluecor fan-fold foam laying around for ages, and I've been wondering about if it could be used for a ship. I have very little model boat experience, but have some model aircraft construction experience. I'm looking at possibly building some sort of US Navy ship, just not sure at the current time. Is this possible, and what do I really need to get started (not including the electronics, radio, battery, etc...)

Thanks for your help,
Joel Cox
EMB120man is offline Find More Posts by EMB120man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:38 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Check out the post toward the bottom of the page.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Jun 29, 2007, 02:37 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
EMB120, it probably could be done, however you would need to add some light-marine ply stiffners inside the hull, and add a coat of resin outside. Greenseaships has done similar, making lower hulls out of blue foam, though most of his work is with cardboard, yes thats right, Cardboard packing box type cardboard. check out his techniques and use his build techniques, there is no saying that a foam boat cant be done.

If you wish to build a full hull, a Plank-on-frame build is probably the best way to go about it. Im not a foamie user, so your experience with blue-cor adhesives there will be handy there.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501