HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2004, 02:59 PM
Loose Cannon
Deer Park, New York, United States
Joined Mar 2004
266 Posts
GWS Beaver Maiden

I completed my Beaver and got her ready to Maiden. I noticed the elevator was binding a bit where it passes through the fuse and would sometimes stick. A little trimming with my #11 and I thought I was set. After a sketchy take off I got her up and was flying a couple of circuits around the field while trying to get her trimmed out. The wind was around 6mph, which is a personal best for me. I got her up to about 90’ of altitude and decided to perform the “diving CG test”. I dropped the nose to about 45 degrees and cut the throttle. She just flat out wouldn’t pull out of the dive. I applied throttle and then tried pulling back at first, no joy, and then applied some more down stick, which she responded to, and then brought the stick back again. No good she was now diving at around an 80-degree angle with the ground coming up fast. I tried some rudder, which she would respond to. At about fifteen feet I cut the throttle and watched her lawn dart into the ground. I think I laughed, what else was there to do?
I walked over with the Tx and checked the throws with her still in the ground. They were working fine. I pulled her out of the ground and checked for damage.
1. Broken Prop
2. Torn Cowl
3. Wing Strut Anchor pulled out of Fuse
4. Gear Pulled out of Fuse
After a bit of patience and some CA she was fine and flying in about twenty minutes I cannot believe the prop shaft is OK. I think under the load the elevator moved back and stuck against the slot in the fuse. All I can say is I’m glad I fiber glassed this plane. The photos are good for a laugh.

Enjoy,

Doug

Wind Slave is offline Find More Posts by Wind Slave
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2004, 06:40 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Yep, nice soft dirt. Check the motor mount stick to make sure it didn't get loose or pushed back some. That'll thow off the CG. Also check to be sure the battery compartment didn't become somewhat crushed as the battery slammed forward. This'll make for a loose battery sliding back and forth in flight which will really put the CG outa whack.
- Guess how I know these things
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Nov 08, 2004, 07:14 PM
Loose Cannon
Deer Park, New York, United States
Joined Mar 2004
266 Posts
Grejen,

Thanks for the advice, That crash has already been out done The last one drove the motor and stick at least 3/4" back into the fuse! I almost had to but it in a vise to pull it back out. I haven't a clue how but the shaft & gearbox are still OK I'll take all the luck I can

Thanks again,

Doug
Wind Slave is offline Find More Posts by Wind Slave