SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2014, 08:41 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Discussion
Ben Shereshaw 1937 "Champion" - AMPLAN Build Off September 2014 to March 2015

This is a placeholder post to begin this build-off project.

For this build-off, I have chosen the Shereshaw Champion as my project. It is a large model with a 108" wing, and has very pleasing curves for a 1937 design. Admittedly, this is going to be a challenging build for just a seven-month window, but there is nothing extremely difficult about the construction. It's fairly straightforward.

The plan is where the time is going to be taken up in the early phase. I have to work up all the bulkheads and lamination patterns before I can start building anything.

Plan Located At Outerzone
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Last edited by cpmcgraw; Aug 10, 2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Changing title to match Sundancer's post
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2014, 09:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Progress Report

I'm still working on producing a full-size plan for everyone, using Inkscape. That will be ready sometime in September, when the build phase of this project begins.

First tasks to get done ahead of the build are the rudder and stabilizer templates. These will be cut from 1/2" birch cabinet ply and have a bunch of dowel holes drilled around the edge for rubber band posts.

Images 1 & 2 are full-size cutting patterns for both.
Old Aug 09, 2014, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Working Plan

Here is a link to a large image file of the plan. The plan has been scaled up with reference to the wing panel. Each panel is now 54 3/8" long, which is close enough to the original published length that I'm not going to try tweaking it down further.

My Working Plan

This is not the final plan, just what I'm working from right now.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 02:11 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Well cp, I must say I am impressed by your version of "fairly straightforward"!! And by your speed out of the blocks! Good luck.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2014, 03:39 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
848 Posts
Nice choice of model, CP - if I had spotted the Champion before I started the Cumulus, i think i would have gone with the Champion

Looking at the plan, the wing is very similar to the Cumulus which I am in process of finishing off - see my build thread.

The champion wing has a flat bottom section, which will be simpler to build than the heavier undercambered Cumulus. The structure is very stiff with the 2 pairs of large spars and I choose to omit the diagonals since I felt they were not required to stiffen the wing any further and I would suggest that if you want some washout at the tips, then build it in as i dont think the wings would warp to get washout.

The other thing I would suggest re wings is that the spars be precurved to get the top and bottom tip tapering shown in the plan. In fact if I were building the wings again, I would taper the bottom spars up and keep the top of the wing flat right out to the tip.

I know it is early days for these comments but I thought I would offer them while my build is still in my memory ( but for how long ??)

enjoy the build and the resulting model - you will find the larger models have a more majestic presence in the air, particularly if you overpower slightly with a 4 stroke and you can do flybies on a puttering idle

john
John38 is offline Find More Posts by John38
Last edited by John38; Aug 10, 2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Thanks, John. Early comments get me thinking about how to proceed, so no complaints!

As for power, I'm considering electric. THIS VIDEO somewhat sealed the deal on it.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
I can see why that would make you want to build one cp - gorgeous! Electric? Why not, that would certainly be my choice.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:06 AM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,032 Posts
Nice wheel landings on the video, champion, that!
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Progress Report

Got the wingtip pattern done. See Image 1...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Progress Report

I'm starting on the fuselage bulkheads now, beginning with bulkhead "F" (6th from firewall). The Outerzone plan has none of the bulkhead patterns drawn, meaning the shape is somewhat open to interpretation. I am trying to keep the outlines in reasonable proportion to the "front view" curve. It's not a true ellipse, but more of an "egg-shaped" outline. By starting at "F", which is the rear wing support bulkhead, I think I can (fancy $10 word here) interpolate the shape of the rest based on the general locations of the stringers. It won't be absolutely perfect, but I think it'll be close enough to the original to be considered authentic to the spirit of the design.

Image 1 is a preliminary outline of the bulkhead, and should print out full-size. I haven't put the stringer cut-outs into it yet, but this should give you an idea of the shape of the fuselage around the middle.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:11 AM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,091 Posts
Here's my build of this fine bird from a couple years back. Klarich has more complete plans (includes all shaped part templates) than OuterZone. Would save you some time. Also see you found my video footage.

Looking forward to your interpretation of this fine bird. Will be nice to know another one exists soon

Please let me know if you have any questions or need help

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1698317

John
pomroyj is offline Find More Posts by pomroyj
Last edited by pomroyj; Aug 13, 2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Just popped off an email to Klarich concerning their package. The price isn't bad at all, so I might wind up going this route to save some time. If nothing else, it'll give me something to compare against.

I'll continue with the pre-build work the way I've already started, however, just in case I can't go the kit route...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:32 PM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
Just popped off an email to Klarich concerning their package. The price isn't bad at all, so I might wind up going this route to save some time. If nothing else, it'll give me something to compare against.

I'll continue with the pre-build work the way I've already started, however, just in case I can't go the kit route...
Although I did start with the short kit, you should be able to get just his plans. A while back, a fellow (can't remember his name) let me know he was able to buy just the plans from Klarich. I mention this as you are clearly a true scratch builder. Other consideration is Klarich doesn't have kits, especially less common ones, on the shelf ready to ship (unless your really lucky like a cancelled order). He will have to cut it starting the day you pay for it. I've bought two of his kits and it took 5~6wks in each case so patience is required. If just plans, then that should be quicker.

I'd offer you mine but they didn't survive the construction process. They were in such bad shape by the time I was done I tossed them out. Poor form, I know; sorry

John
pomroyj is offline Find More Posts by pomroyj
Last edited by pomroyj; Aug 13, 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:45 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,058 Posts
Will be watching this build closely. You can't go wrong with a Shereshaw design!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomroyj View Post
...I'd offer you mine but they didn't survive the construction process. They were in such bad shape by the time I was done I tossed them out. Poor form, I know; sorry

John
The fuselage formers are the most important patterns here, the wing and tail ribs are easily figured out. Looking at what you posted in your thread, I'm off a bit, but not by much. Mostly along the bottom of the fuselage.

What you showed about that block behind the wing resolved a visual issue I was having. The magazine plan doesn't show this correctly, but what your kit has clarifies things greatly. The Klarich plans have already helped!