HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:08 PM
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,963 Posts
That is a super idea and will make one myself also. As for my poplar, spruce, and aspen, I get it at the lumber yard in 1/4"x 2" up to 1"x4" with lengths of 4-6', just pick through it a find what I like.
ace4rc is online now Find More Posts by ace4rc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:14 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Joe, an ingenious tri-stock stripper! Yet another tool you've shared, and I've tucked-away to replicate and add to my tool box. Thank you!

Question though. I did not see where you secure the razor blade in the tri-stock tool. Also, when you write, "Dremel saw", I take it that you're using your Dremel scroll saw?

Press-on!

EJ
Maybe Dremel table saw..

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
For cleaning-up the round (drilled) holes to make them square.

EJ
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:33 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
They cut at a 45 degree angle, so the notches can be cut without drilling a hole first.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:44 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,343 Posts
Gotcha. I misread the drilling of the holes were for the bolts and wing nuts. Now I get it.

EJ
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:51 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
Hi guys! Glad you like the balsa tri-stock maker. I must, however, be sure you understand that I did not come up with the original idea for this tool. The basic idea had been floating around in my "grey cells" based on the same principle used to split fuel tubing for use as cockpit coaming, that of drawing the material across a sharp blade. Somewhere, in a catalog maybe or hardware store or while surfing around on model sites or while day dreaming in the shop I had seen a similar type of tool (at least I think I did). In August, while needing some balsa tri-stock, I recalled this tool idea and then just went on ahead and made one up from scratch using what I had available. The result is what I presented here today. It is, in fact a swell idea that I wish I had fabricated a long time ago because it's handy and saves paying extra for balsa tri-stock when the material is required. The last thing I want to do is take credit for something someone else may have designed, but I can share with you a tool that is quite useful in the shop.

As for the Dremel saw that I use in my shop...it's an old Model 57-2 Moto-Shop scroll saw that I have had for some time. In fact it's the ONLY powered saw I use in my shop during model construction. I've included a photo of the saw.

The razor blade, for the tri-stock cutter, is placed between the two wood pieces across the opening size desired with the sharp edge facing the front of the tool. I just loosen the wingnuts enough to let me move the blade as needed and then tighten the two wood pieces together via the wingnuts, thereby capturing the razor blade in place. You might want to experiment a bit with the different razor blades being sold as some are real flimsy and will bend when used with hard balsa.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Last edited by piperjoe; Nov 25, 2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:52 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Ok... I was wrong....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:58 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
Hey Steve, you were correct. I drilled the holes for the tightening bolts and cut the notches from the 3/4" square Poplar with my Dremel saw; basically I cut a V in each wood piece for each desired tri-stock opening.

Soft landings,

Joe

Edit: Oh...you were referring to the Dremel Table Saw...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 09:41 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,170 Posts
Joe that tri stock strippwer will never work.

Seriously... That is a neat invention. I will have to whip one up for myself. I wish I could think of neat things like that. Thank god for RCG and a bunch of helpful people willing to share!!

Ken.

PS, Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
Hi Ken!

I want to extend Best Wishes to all for a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday.

Soft landings,

Joe
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2005
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
I'm cutting and gluing the 1/8" x 1/4" Spruce uprights now and, as it involved butted glue joints, Spruce to Spruce, I'll be adding some extra balsa gussets where I feel they are needed to create a larger glue area for the parts. I tend to make up my balsa tri-stock for this type of work from scrap square balsa pieces as I build. Thought I'd share a couple of photos of a homemade shop tool I fabricated and put together last August for just this purpose. The tool is made out of two (2) lengths of 3/4" square Poplar trim stock cut to 6 1/2" in length, two (2) bolts (1/4" x 2 1/4" thread length) with flat washers and wing nuts (easy to tighten) and a half side of a thin double edge razor blade. I cut the wood stock to length, sanded the wood and rounded the edges. Next I taped the two pieces of stock wood together tightly with blue painters tape as a unit in the form you see in the photos. Using my drill press I drilled the 1/4" holes for the bolts through both pieces of wood (2 holes required). Next I used a drafting template (from my Professional Draftsman days) and, laying the desired size squared onto the mating line of the wood unit as a diamond shape with reference to that line, I marked out the various squares with a sharp pointed graphite pencil. The taped wood unit was then untaped and separated and, using my old Dremel saw, the inside wood of each square was cut from each of the respective 3/4" square lengths of wood and lightly sanded as needed. The sizes were written on the wood with an ink pen and I sealed everything with a couple of coats of Swedish Tung Oil. When dry the unit was wiped down with an old T-shirt and assembled with the razor blade placed in position where desired for use in my shop. The photos should help you put one of these handy shop tools together if you wish. Enjoy!

Soft landings,

Joe
doooh genius
Odisseo is offline Find More Posts by Odisseo
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,782 Posts
A couple of photos to show that I really did work a bit on the Spirit today...after the pumpkin roll and coffee breakfast and Thanksgiving Day dinner and pumpkin pie with whipped cream...and more pumpkin pie with whipped cream...have to admit I'm moving a bit slow. Hope you had a great day!

Fair Winds,

Joe