SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:39 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,171 Posts
So, today was a slow day, but good for team USA.

Started off with questionable wind. When we got to the top, the wind was blowing in the opposite direction, so we ended up hiking down to the back side slope. We set up everything, but the wind wasn't there yet. We ended up taking the contest pics, and individual team pics and such while waiting for wind, but then it switched direction back on us...

yet another relocation to the lower west side from the main hill...when we got there, several pilots were doing test flights while things were getting set up, and there was a midair that took out two planes...silly really, but totaled them.

We eventually got going with round 10, and it got stopped a few times for wind under the 3m/s limit, but not for long. Maybe 4 or 5 reflights from it.

So, my turn comes up and I decide to not go with too much weight (maybe only 80oz all up, 2 slugs). Fast time from about half the field was only a 49.25, so I went pretty light to try and get a good climb out. The guy before me only managed a 60 something. Espen gave me a good huck (he's a small Norwegian, but man can he throw). I had a really nice climb out, managing the camber pretty good, and my dive was good. I didn't want to get too low, because where we were was a gradual slope and there were trees not too far from us. I had enough energy to keep it at eye level or above, and with clean turns. Since it was my first run of a new course, I was a little long on B, but not much. Turned in a 51.45, a good run in the top 5. I was pretty happy.

Warren was quite a ways after me, and he decided to use his Pit Bull today. While I was in the ready box, the air softened a little bit. I opened up the wing and took out a slug before I launched him. Gave him a good huck and he had a pretty good climb out, but the air wasn't quite as smooth as it was for me. He flew it well, and put in a 53s run. A good run considering some of the top pilots were getting ponied with 60+ second runs. The French guy in the lead only managed a 67s run, ouch. We finally got a little good air for us...

Turns out no one went faster, but we barely got the full round done before the wind just turned off...

So we called it a day with 1 full round done, and when the scores come in it'll be a 950+ round for me and a 925 round for Warren, so we should move up in the standings. I should have the scores in the vault as soon as they are posted.
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:24 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,171 Posts
Results are up...Warren and I are right together up to 12th and 13th...

Also, in the down time today, I was able to go around and ask what everyone was flying, so all of the planes are updated...

Lots of Freestylers, Stingers, and Precisions...

t
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:58 PM
Pagosa Springs, CO
Joined Jul 2007
240 Posts
Dang, Tim! You and Warren are certainly evenly matched.

And now your team is in second place! Way Cool!
Teezer is offline Find More Posts by Teezer
Old Sep 14, 2013, 02:34 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,171 Posts
Crud...

last day of the comp, and its raining again, and the forecast looks like rain all day, so comp is over...

We never really got a chance to pull out the big guns and lay some fast times down. Out of the six days, we got three days of flying, only one of which had more than 1 round, for a total of 10 rounds...

Oh well, the primary mission for me was accomplished. I now know the site, had some practice trying different things on it, saw the three possible flying areas on the site, hiked up and down five times, know how cold it freaking gets and how much it rains, made some new European friends, and saw all of our accommodations and such...

Mission mostly accomplished, except not much smackdown on the unsuspecting Europeans... It was comin...they just didn't get to see it...next time...

t
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2013, 01:12 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,814 Posts
Good job guys, 2014 you will get your chance!

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:16 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,769 Posts
No worries, Tim....
That IS inland flying; the more rounds you get, the more fair it is. There is something to be said about figuring out the style that is needed on an inland slope, and the accompanying ballast strategies.
I'm sure you and WD will discuss them on the way back. He has it figured out, me, not so much!

See you soon.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target