Old Mar 01, 2013, 02:20 AM
Finland
Joined Jul 2004
681 Posts
Help!
Optima 9 rx burned!

Setup:
Lifepo connected to RX.
Ubec connected from RX to light controller module (convert 6.6V to 5V)
ch7 to light controller module.

I started getting bad behaviour from rx, light unit did not respond to my commands and initialization anymore ( I had tested this setup many times before)

I switched CH7 plug to CH6 and then I heard sizzling sound , burning smell and now RX is dead!

I opened the case for Rx and it smells burned but no solid scorch marks near any visible components.

Any help? I sent email to germany multiplex( nearest place) but just wanted to ask what the hell could have gone wrong?

I have never ever had burned rx before, and this one has never flown! It has been sitting on my drawer for two years now.
Ceeray is offline Find More Posts by Ceeray
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeray View Post
Setup:
Lifepo connected to RX.
Ubec connected from RX to light controller module (convert 6.6V to 5V)
ch7 to light controller module.
I started getting bad behaviour from rx, light unit did not respond to my commands and initialization anymore ( I had tested this setup many times before)
I switched CH7 plug to CH6 and then I heard sizzling sound , burning smell and now RX is dead!
I opened the case for Rx and it smells burned but no solid scorch marks near any visible components.
Any help? I sent email to germany multiplex (nearest place) but just wanted to ask what the hell could have gone wrong?
I have never ever had burned rx before, and this one has never flown! It has been sitting on my drawer for two years now.
1. Which light controller? any English instruction sheet available?
2. EP or GP model?
3. "Lifepo connected to RX".
a. Direct into SPC or is SPC plug in place and battery switch harness is then into which channel?
b. Fully charged, a 2s Life at 7.2v is above that recommended for majority of servo and close
to limit for an Optima. Any problem with any servo, connection lead etc will be accentuated/fed back.
4. "Ubec connected from RX to light controller module (convert 6.6V to 5V) ch7 to light controller module. "
Any UBEC to power an external item should be connected direct to battery,
never drawing power through Rx.
If this was indeed (+) & (-) out of ch7, how was the module connected to Rx for signal?,
5. Ideal setup, if an EP Model, would be for the battery to be plugged into the SPC port
and the UBEC to be connected as shown schematic:
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC connection & Lead FAQ for EP & GP models.
This will provide for best voltage for Optima and the servo, module etc being max 6.0v set by UBEC.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:07 AM
Finland
Joined Jul 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
1. Which light controller? any English instruction sheet available?
-British made GreenAir Designs Sigma sequencer

2. EP or GP model?
-EP , but all things on the table, no servos, only rx and sequencer unit.

3. "Lifepo connected to RX".
a. Direct into SPC or is SPC plug in place and battery switch harness is then into which channel?
-SPC plug in place and battery LiFePo connected to ch 9 port.

b. Fully charged, a 2s Life at 7.2v is above that recommended for majority of servo and close
to limit for an Optima. Any problem with any servo, connection lead etc will be accentuated/fed back.
-6.6V measured

4. "Ubec connected from RX to light controller module (convert 6.6V to 5V) ch7 to light controller module. "
Any UBEC to power an external item should be connected direct to battery,
never drawing power through Rx.
If this was indeed (+) & (-) out of ch7, how was the module connected to Rx for signal?,
-This was due that sequencer was not working with 6.6V , needed 5. (manufacturer was bit surprised that anyone would want to make HV system with HV servos, it was a surprise to him too that the unit was not taking 6.6V well.)
Parkbec connected to CH1 to provide voltage to the sequencer 5V isolated input point.

5. Ideal setup, if an EP Model, would be for the battery to be plugged into the SPC port
and the UBEC to be connected as shown schematic:
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC connection & Lead FAQ for EP & GP models.
This will provide for best voltage for Optima and the servo, module etc being max 6.0v set by UBEC.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
I am not requesting any warranty or such, its near two years old Rx ( but never used in aeroplane). I tested the Sigma sequencer with 6Ch rx and all worked flawlessly.

It may be that something was just shorting out the rx , there was quite a mess on my table when I tested this ( wires etc, just accident waiting to happen as usual..)

I already ordered a new Rx and my friend can check out the burned one if its salvageable for usage in cheaper models. (if only some component has burned out and changeable..)
Ceeray is offline Find More Posts by Ceeray