HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:53 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
258 Posts
Discussion
Longshot 3 push rods

Me again...sorry...

Can someone enlighten me as to the best way to install these please?
I suspect the push rod outers need to be glued to the inside of the pod so the required stiffness is obtained?
Should they be fitted before the servo tray is glued in? ( I didn't do this as I followed the instructions.....)
My servos might be too far rearward, as there is very little room to do this now. I may have to remove the tray and then fit the outer and then refit a new tray ( don't think it will survive removal... )

Steve
sterob is offline Find More Posts by sterob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,534 Posts
Steve:

You should be fine, just as things are now.

Clean out, as far inside as you can reach, the surface of the pod. Use a mild solvent like windex, or even just a piece of medium grit sandpaper. Run a small piece of foam down the boom, just like cleaning a gun barrel.

At this point, I run the push rods in place, internal to the boom (I like internal push rods, others do not, and there is no shame in running push rods externally). Make the initial cut so that they are about 6 inches too long, to give you something to grab.

I start at the rear, placing the housing (with the wire in it) to allow the desired travel of the control horn. The housing should protude from the slot you should have cut for whichever control you're going to do first. I use medium CA, and put a drop or two (no more!) on the housing, at the exit slot. If necessary hit it with accelerator. I then fill the slot with additional drops of medium CA, until I am assured of its security. This end is now done.

At the front, I grab the housing (still with the wire in it) and pull it tight. This is where having an additional left hand is handy, by the way - what? You don't have three hands? Do you best. I use an applicator, like a large toothpick, to put a drop or two of medium CA as far inside as I can reach, and hold things in place until the CA sets up. Add additional drops to secure things, but still allow for removal of the excess housing for servo horn clearance.

Now, it gets interesting. Whatever access you have internally to the pushrod housing, wick in tiny, tiny drops of thin CA, and allow them to flow along the housing. One drop at a time, you do NOT want CA running out the back. They will collect wherever the housing contacts the side of the boom and pod, and secure it. If you like, once both housings are in place, shove in a packing peanut or small piece of foam. When I do this, I try to get the foam about half way down the boom.

Pull the push rod out the rear a bit. Reach into the pod with your sharpest #11 exacto, and trim off the excess housing.

Done.

if you want to run your push rods externally, let me know. It's easy, secure, and has no impact on drag.

Yorus, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:37 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
258 Posts
Thanks for that Greg.
I was trying to follow the instruction to the letter, but they are not specific enough and lost my ability to think laterally....
My first 1.5m DLG and I haven't learn't all the tricks yet.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
I exit to push rods at the back of the wing saddle. They are run thru a aluminum tube from the servo back to the exit point. The outer teflon tube is held to the fuselage and boom with canopy cement.
looweegee is offline Find More Posts by looweegee
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:33 AM
Australia, WA, Collie
Joined Aug 2012
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by looweegee View Post
I They are run thru a aluminum tube from the servo back to the exit point. .
Thats an interesting way to do it. I ended up gluing a small balsa 'outer' support on to end of the servo tray and seems to be working ok.
I have since conferred with the designer and his intention was to glue the outer to inside of the pod.Whatever works, I guess...lol

Steve
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
its a straight shot from the servo to the exit at the wing saddle area. less drag from a tube that curves.
looweegee
looweegee is offline Find More Posts by looweegee
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:10 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
613 Posts
Use the magnet method Oleg uses and it a piece of cake!
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:12 PM
Fly, tinker, fly, tinker....
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined May 2012
178 Posts
I like internal pushrods, so I cut and shaped a polystyrene plug that holds the pushrods in place inside the boom. This is on my TS2. They're also glued securely at both ends, and inside the pod. I didn't trust my ability to trickle CA down the pushrod tubes, so I went for the plug. It holds rock solid. Cheers.
numba is offline Find More Posts by numba