SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:17 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Discussion
AVA Covering?

Guys, I'm currently doing some repair work on an AVA and some research has shown that Vladimir uses Oracover for the wings which apparently is the same as Ultracote here in the US. The transparent red Ultracote is available in both standard and light weight versions. Does anyone know if the covering on AVAs is the light style?

Thanks,
Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:42 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
I believe it is, Randy.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:17 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
Covering

Randy, I have used the regular transparents on mine. The light seems too thin and fragile, although some of the light stuff I have is quite old so it may be different now.

So now you have one of each!

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:33 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Iain,

Do you happen to have some of the covering left and a caliper that you can measure the thickness of it? That way I can measure some that I removed and compare.

Thanks,
Randy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:16 AM
Amherst, NH
Joined Apr 2005
371 Posts
Go with the standard transparent colors. I tried 'ParkLite' on a nostalgia plane and ended up stripping it all off this winter. It had way too much stretch.

David
dbeach is offline Find More Posts by dbeach
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:43 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Apparently, there are 3 types of Ultracote. The standard, available in opaque and transparent, the Lite which is available in transparent, and the ParkLite which is opaque only. Horizon's website says the ParkLite is 13 microns thick. I just measured some of what I removed from the AVA and it's about 40 microns thick so it's definitely thicker than the ParkLite.

I got a reply from Neil at Hyperflight and he says that the AVAs are covered with Ultracote Lite so I'll probably order some Lite but measure it before I use it just to confirm. I'll post my findings.

Randy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:54 AM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
Randy. I just measures some trans red (HANU950) and it is 0.04mm thick. The 'lite' I have measures 0.02mm. That measurement may be limited by the resolution of my digital caliper.

Iain
Last edited by rev.iain; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added info.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:30 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Iain,

Is that with the backing removed?

Randy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:26 PM
W0X0F
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2005
1,003 Posts
Randy, I've repaired several of my AVAs many times and the Transparent lite is the one that is a direct replacement for the factory covering. There is no difference in color or in strength. I use an iron to remove all the old covering and then wipe down the areas that the covering will attach to with Toluene or Acetone on a small rag. Don't soak the areas in the solvent but just a quick wipe to remove all the old adhesive. I then paint the area that the covering attaches to, including rib caps with Coverite Balsarite. This helps the covering adhere much better. Take your time and seal the rib last and you will have a repair that can't be detected.
IBWALT is offline Find More Posts by IBWALT
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:10 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
Randy, that is JUST the covering, no backing.

Iain
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:37 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Thanks everyone, now I'm totally confused. Some are saying it's definitely the Lite but what I pulled off is measuring the same as the standard. I'll probably end up picking up some of each.

Randy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:08 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
Randy,

We use the Oracover Lite for all of our coverings. In the US is sold under the
Ultacote brand name.

Barry
Blaster is offline Find More Posts by Blaster
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:09 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,727 Posts
Ultracote Lite is what they use.
Mark Miller is online now Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:38 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
For those who may be interested, here are my findings.

I had to remove a couple large areas of covering from my AVA to do the repair so I was able to measure what came on it. The AVA's covering is 40 microns thick.

I ordered in both the the standard UltraCote transparent red (HANU950) and the UltraCote Lite transparent red (HANU966) and measured both of them. The Lite measures 26 microns thick and the standard measures 40 microns (both measurements without backing). Holding the covering I removed in my hands and comparing it to the feel of the new ones, the standard "felt" identical and the Lite felt thinner and flimsier.

So, I'm proceeding with my repair using the standard transparent UltraCote. I have one area done and one more to go. I'm not sure why so many are convinced that the Lite is what Vladimir uses. Perhaps he uses the Lite on the smaller AVAs and the regular on the Hyper AVA (4m), which is what I have. Or maybe he used Lite on the older AVAs and standard on the later ones. Regardless, if you're doing repairs on an AVA wing, check the thickness of the old covering that you remove and you can compare to the numbers above.

Randy
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined May 2012
57 Posts
Transparent red Solarfilm

Anouther option is Solarfilm. I just measured some at .002 without backing. I have used Solarfilm for years with good results (mostly Metalic red and blue) and although it is not very stiff it does not get brittle and it goes around compound curves great.
Stew
stewswanson is offline Find More Posts by stewswanson