HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:48 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner6 View Post
Well, I bought a DX6i and a Nano on Saturday. I did a lot of research and this was to be my first non-coaxial helo. Well...even with the 30% DR and 40% Expo, this thing is WAY too much for me to handle indoors. I can hover it, but it picks up speed extremely fast and things get very squirrely if I use the rudder to try a coordinated turn. I can use cyclic to fly it in laps around my living room, provided I dont really use the rudder.

I have tried setting the blade pitch to %85 and just using the throttle (thus emulating a fixed pitch bird) and I have tried setting the Throttle %90 and using blade pitch to move the bird around. No matter what I do, the dang thing is very touchy. The heading hold autopilot is probably great, but it's really frustrating for me.

I am very discouraged and the buyers remorse is pretty strong right now. I will vouch for the things ability to take a lickin'.
Try setting your Pitch EPA's to 70/70%. I do this for Indoor practice, fly on low rates. (Can get a little blown around when the furnace or blower is running!) Got comfortable real fast that way. Keeps it from hopping up and down so much and you can focus on the right stick more for now.

I just now got up to 85/80% Pitch EPA for outdoors.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
For those working on FFF and coordinated turns, the Blade MQX is a great platform to practice on and translates very well to CP helis. It works both in the Phoenix SIM and with the actual MQX. The stick inputs are the same, but the MQX is more stable and easier to recover from mistakes than a CP heli is.

I would also suggest it is a good step up from a coax before going to a CP heli. You can practice all your hovering maneuvers and especially nose in hover if you are not totally comfortable with it.
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It is a little better in that respect, but if you want solid performance all the time, go up to the 130X or up to a regular machine. These micro helis are sort of a novelty item - I don't think they are intended for serious flying, and they all have performance issues that you don't see in the bigger machines. They are fun to fly and useful for training, but if you're expecting good reliability and good performance all the way through the pack, you gotta go bigger.
The conclusion I've come to.... the Nano is really fun, exciting at times. But I know I need a 300X or Align 450 for what I want outdoors at a field.

My Mentor told me last summer when I got a used mCPX. "If you can fly this, you can fly anything!" I think he nailed it. Lots less work on a 450 size.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
To get into the habit of using throttle hold I even land my heli's using TH at about a foot off the ground I hit TH.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:30 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Hi all,
Its been nearly 2 years since my last post in here, but I figured that if I was to attempt a comeback, I should punish myself by breaking my own promise of never to fly anything small and motor driven tail ever again. Those 2 years away from RCG I didn't fly a thing (still have all my ginormous scale helis in the shelf, and they all still fly) so I went straight into the hardest and most addictive little bugger I could find: The Nano CPX... oh boy. Coming from such a long break and previously used to fly exclusively massive sized multiblade scale birds, the Nano feels like a freaking Formula One. I've already crashed it quite a bit and the reviews weren't a joke: It truly is indestructible (**hint: hit TH before it plummets) So far I haven't done much with it, probably wont, but I did tighten the feathering spindle a tad and changed the blades for the 'bullet' ones. The timings are all off, so what took 2 seconds on the scale heli, it takes .2 seconds on this one.

Read a lot about this 'beginner 1st heli..' Well I feel that this is probably not for any novice pilot who is looking for that "instant gratification" that you'll get from coaxials. (I have two, mCX and mCX2) So to put it out there, the NCPX is definitively not an instant gratification helicopter for the beginner and if you expect to be zooming around your living room annoying your pets in a day's time, then look elsewhere. Expect it to "gain speed faster than the Millenium Falcon going into hyperspace" and once it gets going, nothing but the right precise stick movement combination will avoid the inevitable slamming into whatever is in its otherwise uncontrolled path, and if then, inevitably, you forget to yank Throttle Hold (TH) in time, then you'll start sending checks to E-Flite to keep the NCPX in life support... But OTOH, if you can manage to learn how to fly this thing, be assured that you can fly anything.

Overall, I think the machine feels and flies great, most basic maneuvers are handled with ease, figure 8s, funnels, backwards..., (all slow) its just that I am not accustomed to something this fast. With that said, however, there are a few things that I've noticed not to my 100% liking: The most noticeable is the tail: It really feels weird compared to the variable pitched tails of all my other helis.
Then the RPM governor, oh boy, do I miss this one... used to set it and forget it, now the throttle becomes an issue and throttle curves has to adapt for the increased pitch... one time to set up but the power/headspeed drops with flight time, oh well. And lastly, flight time... most of my scale machines can stay airborne for 20+ minutes and well, the NCPX, with a mere 5 1/2 minute flight time its definitively a huge let down for me. Now granted, I knew about it, but oh boy, the NCPX screams to be flown just one more pack... oh wait!.. no more batteries?... Nope, they are all charging.

Cheers and any suggestions on how to tame the little beast would be appreciated.

MB.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibichus View Post
Hi all,
Its been nearly 2 years since my last post in here, but I figured that if I was to attempt a comeback, I should punish myself by breaking my own promise of never to fly anything small and motor driven tail ever again. Those 2 years away from RCG I didn't fly a thing (still have all my ginormous scale helis in the shelf, and they all still fly) so I went straight into the hardest and most addictive little bugger I could find: The Nano CPX... oh boy. Coming from such a long break and previously used to fly exclusively massive sized multiblade scale birds, the Nano feels like a freaking Formula One. I've already crashed it quite a bit and the reviews weren't a joke: It truly is indestructible (**hint: hit TH before it plummets) So far I haven't done much with it, probably wont, but I did tighten the feathering spindle a tad and changed the blades for the 'bullet' ones. The timings are all off, so what took 2 seconds on the scale heli, it takes .2 seconds on this one.

Read a lot about this 'beginner 1st heli..' Well I feel that this is probably not for any novice pilot who is looking for that "instant gratification" that you'll get from coaxials. (I have two, mCX and mCX2) So to put it out there, the NCPX is definitively not an instant gratification helicopter for the beginner and if you expect to be zooming around your living room annoying your pets in a day's time, then look elsewhere. Expect it to "gain speed faster than the Millenium Falcon going into hyperspace" and once it gets going, nothing but the right precise stick movement combination will avoid the inevitable slamming into whatever is in its otherwise uncontrolled path, and if then, inevitably, you forget to yank Throttle Hold (TH) in time, then you'll start sending checks to E-Flite to keep the NCPX in life support... But OTOH, if you can manage to learn how to fly this thing, be assured that you can fly anything.

Overall, I think the machine feels and flies great, most basic maneuvers are handled with ease, figure 8s, funnels, backwards..., (all slow) its just that I am not accustomed to something this fast. With that said, however, there are a few things that I've noticed not to my 100% liking: The most noticeable is the tail: It really feels weird compared to the variable pitched tails of all my other helis.
Then the RPM governor, oh boy, do I miss this one... used to set it and forget it, now the throttle becomes an issue and throttle curves has to adapt for the increased pitch... one time to set up but the power/headspeed drops with flight time, oh well. And lastly, flight time... most of my scale machines can stay airborne for 20+ minutes and well, the NCPX, with a mere 5 1/2 minute flight time its definitively a huge let down for me. Now granted, I knew about it, but oh boy, the NCPX screams to be flown just one more pack... oh wait!.. no more batteries?... Nope, they are all charging.

Cheers and any suggestions on how to tame the little beast would be appreciated.

MB.
Welcome back. I just drop the DR to around 50% but, keep expo at 15% or less. You can go up or down from there. You can also play with travel adjustments.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:47 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Welcome back. I just drop the DR to around 50% but, keep expo at 15% or less. You can go up or down from there. You can also play with travel adjustments.
Thanks!

Interesting that you say 50%, right now I have my radio setup to this (11X)

AILE D/R: 60% EXP:-35%
ELEV D/R: 60% EXP:-35%
RUDD: D/R: 125% EXP L:-70% R:-45%

BTW, the reason for the asymetric tail expo is b/c the tail didn't rotate equally fast when piroing ccw vs cw at the same amount of stick travel.

Interesting to see that other pilots are going to such a low D/R as well. Thanks for the information. How long have you had the nCPX?

MB.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!

Interesting that you say 50%, right now I have my radio setup to this (11X)

AILE D/R: 60% EXP:-35%
ELEV D/R: 60% EXP:-35%
RUDD: D/R: 125% EXP L:-70% R:-45%

BTW, the reason for the asymetric tail expo is b/c the tail didn't rotate equally fast when piroing ccw vs cw at the same amount of stick travel.

Interesting to see that other pilots are going to such a low D/R as well. Thanks for the information. How long have you had the nCPX?

MB.
I got one from the first batch my LHS received from HH. So, I think about three months or so. I have 238 flights on mine. I have replaced the main frame and four main motors.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I got one from the first batch my LHS received from HH. So, I think about three months or so. I have 238 flights on mine. I have replaced the main frame and four main motors.
Holy smokes! 238 flights. Not bad the total damage considering you've flown it until the blades came off...

Here are a few pics of the newest addition to the family.

MB.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:34 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Holy smokes! 238 flights. Not bad the total damage considering you've flown it until the blades came off...

Here are a few pics of the newest addition to the family.

MB.
Sweet! You will enjoy it. The scale heli in the picture looks like it would be even more fun.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:34 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
359 Posts
MB,

I have the 11X as well, and expo to tame it around the center should be positive not negative. You seem way too experienced to be confused on a point like that, so I'm assuming it was just a typo? But if not, somehow, it would certainly make it a handful to hover.

Bill
CatBird is online now Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
For those working on FFF and coordinated turns, the Blade MQX is a great platform to practice on and translates very well to CP helis. It works both in the Phoenix SIM and with the actual MQX. The stick inputs are the same, but the MQX is more stable and easier to recover from mistakes than a CP heli is.

I would also suggest it is a good step up from a coax before going to a CP heli. You can practice all your hovering maneuvers and especially nose in hover if you are not totally comfortable with it.
Excellent suggestion. I have often thought that the mQX is likely the best single-rotor heli trainer out there. Along with the directly-transferable skills & ease of recovery - the mQX is also nearly indestructible. Plus - it's very aerobatic, and it excels at precision flight. It's equally at home flying relaxing circuits & precision hovering in the living room as it is flying 25-30 MPH high-banked circuits in the yard, doing flips, loops, and rolls, or cutting through a 10 MPH wind. And then there's the 10+ minute flight-times - even with the factory battery.

Another thing - you don't outgrow the mQX like you do coaxials and self-stabilizing FP birds. It is still a blast to fly even after you're doing aerobatics with your larger CP helis.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:34 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner6 View Post
Well, I bought a DX6i and a Nano on Saturday. I did a lot of research and this was to be my first non-coaxial helo. Well...even with the 30% DR and 40% Expo, this thing is WAY too much for me to handle indoors. I can hover it, but it picks up speed extremely fast and things get very squirrely if I use the rudder to try a coordinated turn. I can use cyclic to fly it in laps around my living room, provided I dont really use the rudder.

I have tried setting the blade pitch to %85 and just using the throttle (thus emulating a fixed pitch bird) and I have tried setting the Throttle %90 and using blade pitch to move the bird around. No matter what I do, the dang thing is very touchy. The heading hold autopilot is probably great, but it's really frustrating for me.

I am very discouraged and the buyers remorse is pretty strong right now. I will vouch for the things ability to take a lickin'.
Woo hoo! Going from a coaxial to a Nano collective pitch is quite a leap!!!

Do NOT get discouraged. What you are feeling is the sharp pain of banging your brain against a VERY steep learning curve. We've all been there and if you hang in there you can do it.

To give you some perspective...

I got into coaxials in January of this year.

I transitioned to fixed-pitch with flybar helis in maybe around April or so (9958, V911, and MSR). That took a little bit and I crashed a lot getting used to it but it was a fairly straightforward transition.

Then I went to the flybarless fixed pitch MSRX in July and boy, did I hit a wall on that one! It took me a few weeks before I could even do a circuit indoors without crashing. Now, I can do tight figure-8s indoors but absolutely love this little hotrod for flying outdoors a local soccer field.

Then, in November, I got a Nano and WHAM, I hit that steep wall of the learning curve again. Going from the MSRX to the Nano was just as crazy as going from the MSR to the MSRX for me. IN fact, after spending a month on the Nano (just circuits and stuff--no 3D yet) my MSRX feels completely docile in comparison.

What you've done is taken the short cut from coaxial and Nano and the learning curve is that much steeper.

However, I totally applaud your enthusiasm and you can totally master this thing if you stick with it!

Now, as for exercises that you can do, I found my old post in the MSRX thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4741

However, I find that the Nano behaves in a SUSPICIOUSLY similar way to the MSRX when you hit the rudder. I think that these exercises will be very helpful for you learning the Nano.

Don't forget to be quick on the throttle hold if at any point you feel the heli is going to hit something!

Finally, if at any time you get frustrated, go back and fly your coax a few times so that you get into a good mood again before going back to the Nano. You want to be in a receptive frame of mind so you can learn. You also tend to learn better (well, at least I do) by switching between different helicopters as you learn. In fact, I found that I got more out of alternating between my coaxials (GW9998, MCX2), all my fixed-pitch flybarred helis (GW99958, WLV911, MSR, TRex 100X), my MSRX, and now my Nano than I did by just flying one type of heli all the time. Of course, I'm kind of an obsessive collector and want to try one of everything, but hey, we've all got our issues to sort out, right?

Best of luck!
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:37 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,878 Posts
Oh, it's also very useful to consider investing in a good simulator like others have suggested. I have Phoenix since then I can connect my DX6i and Turnigy9x (with DSM2 mod) into it and use those transmitters. It's cheaper than realflight and you get little models like the MCX,MSR, and most importantly for folks in this thread, the mCPX to practice with.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:44 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I also agree - except for the last part about the park. One should never fly anything larger than a 450 in a public park unless one can absolutely guarantee that no person or pet could ever enter the flying area. Those birds should never be flown in uncontrolled environments - as is the case for all ICE-powered planes and electric planes that weigh over 2 pounds and/or go over 60 MPH. A 450 is even pushing it, in my opinion. Either fly them on private property or join a club.

Those who fly large helis & planes in uncontrolled pubic areas where people are present ruin the hobby for the rest of us. They are the reason why many cities specifically prohibit all RC flying activities in their parks. The media goes crazy over stories of RC aircraft hurting people, and there are always groups who want to heavily regulate us or shut us down. RC flying privileges in the US have been in jeopardy on a number of occasions due to bad press & the resulting negative public image. (Yes - flying RC is a privilege, not a right. As such, it comes with a set of responsibilities.)

Joel
Great post, except that a 450 is definetly to large to fly anywhere there's a possibility of people being around.
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc