HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Yippee!
FPV RC Tank Battle w/ Unimax Forces of Valor 1/24 tanks w/ 5.8ghz tx and rx

Just a little quick video I took last night of some FPV tank battles. This was a trial run and all works well.

The equipment used:

2 - Unimax Forces of Valor Tanks
1 - 200mW 5.8 TX
1 - 400mW 5.8 TX
2 - 305 RXs
2 - CL antennas, a pair of a 4 and 3 leaf. 1 antenna used per setup.
2 - regular antennas that come standard with the TX and RX.
2 - Sony board cameras w/wider lens
2 - Micro sized 3s 370mah lipos to power each TX.

Regarding FPV equipment, the biggest thing I found was using the regular standard antennas had some big intereference issues and drop outs just around a 1 or 2 walls, not more than 30 feet away. The moment I changed 1 antenna to a CL antenna the reception was dramatically increased and going around 5 or 6 walls was no problem. Ive know this to be true when flying FPV in open spaces with the same setup but I was surprised to see it work so well indoors through and walls.

FPV RC Tank Battle w/ Unimax Forces of Valor 1/24 tanks w/ 5.8ghz tx and rx in the house (1 min 17 sec)

KTL13
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Very Cool KTL13, I like. Now, how hard will it be for someone like myself who has no knowledge of hooking up the electronics hardware to a tank and monitor and will buy all the hardware break the bank.

Thanks

Tom
BigJack82 is offline Find More Posts by BigJack82
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:53 PM
A Snickering Hound
United States, SC, Myrtle Beach
Joined Jan 2012
210 Posts
Jack,

"Break the bank" means different things to different people, however setting up the equipment is not difficult. I have a non-technical understanding of electronics as it relates to this hobby and I did not have a problem at all. If I were looking, I would frequent the FPV classified thread here on RCG as there are often full FPV setups for sale. Most of these are used on aircraft but can work just as easily for other RC vehicles.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack82 View Post
Very Cool KTL13, I like. Now, how hard will it be for someone like myself who has no knowledge of hooking up the electronics hardware to a tank and monitor and will buy all the hardware break the bank.

Thanks

Tom
Muddie is offline Find More Posts by Muddie
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
For something simple take a look at the wireless "back up" cameras sold at auto parts stores.

Don't know the size of your tank, but with my 1/6th scale Stuart, there was nothing to it.

Mount the camera, has a lead to a transmitter, and supply 12 volts to the transmitter.

Receiver/monitor are all one unit, I run mine off a small 3S lipo.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
Canada, AB, Sherwood Park
Joined Jan 2011
638 Posts
Im guesstimating each setup is $200. Your FPV Tx and Rx are approx $120 each, the cameras are $30 each, the lipos are $5 each, a pair of antennas is about $50. Its not crazy expensive but it can add up pretty quickly. I had 1 fpv setup for my plane before I decided to get another and combine them for this project.

Setup is pretty straight forward. Just follow the instructions, solder on the proper ends for the wire connections if required and plug and play.
KTL13 is offline Find More Posts by KTL13
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Looks like fun.
I see you have the king tiger and another I cant quite make out.

I have unimax's tiger and king tiger, and the king has a faster turret speed but slower tracks.
I was wondering how does your other tank perform compared to the king tiger?
RetepTrun is offline Find More Posts by RetepTrun