Old Nov 15, 2014, 05:47 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,943 Posts
Patch Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
The stock antenna on the RFD that comes with the kit, and the stock antenna on the 3dR radio will get you some milage. That's how I roll in my rigs right now. I'm constantly out at the 3 mile marker with strong telemetry. I've done all sorts of setups with the antenna. Up/Down in the plane. Then Up/Down on the ground or simply a 45 degree V n the ground as well.

Where you really get the most bang for your buck is a 900mhz patch antenna on the ground plugged into one of the RFD ports. Then a 3dr radio onboard the plane. At that point you almost need an antenna tracker. I say almost because I pointed the antenna in the general direction. Then flew out about 5 miles.

I was looking for patch antennas but didnít find much. Whatís the beam width? http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=51

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2014, 04:47 PM
aka JoshW, damightyj
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2013
214 Posts
That's the one I use too... with only 8dbi its going to be pretty wide, but I can't remember the exact measure. Assume >90 degrees though. Anyone else know for sure? I seem to recall 120 but I honestly don't know for sure.

FYI I've gone 8 miles with RFD900 on the ground and RFD900u in the air (the "u" is not a typo..) and only had the omni antennas installed. Very high quality radios for sure!
JoshW24 is online now Find More Posts by JoshW24
Old Nov 15, 2014, 05:03 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,943 Posts
Is the 900u available in the US?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:32 PM
aka JoshW, damightyj
Joined Jun 2013
214 Posts
That depends on what you mean.. if you're looking for a US vendor, I don't know; I order mine direct from the RFD store in AUS and they get here plenty quick, just like anything else I order from Seppo.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 06:54 PM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
The stock antenna on the RFD that comes with the kit, and the stock antenna on the 3dR radio will get you some milage. That's how I roll in my rigs right now. I'm constantly out at the 3 mile marker with strong telemetry. I've done all sorts of setups with the antenna. Up/Down in the plane. Then Up/Down on the ground or simply a 45 degree V n the ground as well.

Where you really get the most bang for your buck is a 900mhz patch antenna on the ground plugged into one of the RFD ports. Then a 3dr radio onboard the plane. At that point you almost need an antenna tracker. I say almost because I pointed the antenna in the general direction. Then flew out about 5 miles.
Thanks for the help typicalaimster. If I order this radio:
http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfd-900-modem/
It comes with the antennas? The reason I'm wondering which antennas to buy is because it looked to me like it was just the modem and that's it, unless you bought the whole kit with two RFD900's
Do you run a patch as one antenna, on the RFD900 and a dipole on the other and have diversity between the two?
How are you powering the RFD900?
Thanks again!
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I was looking for patch antennas but didnít find much. Whatís the beam width?
The Antenna JoshW and I run is this one..

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenn...patch-antennas

I think RMRC has a similar one. Beam width is 75 degrees horizontal and 65 degrees vertical. L-Comm also has several other antenna to choose from. If I wanted stupid distance I'd go with a Yagi for both my LRS and Telemetry. However at that point your beam width is 30x30.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Nov 15, 2014, 09:10 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seearestacey View Post
It comes with the antennas? The reason I'm wondering which antennas to buy is because it looked to me like it was just the modem and that's it, unless you bought the whole kit with two RFD900's
Do you run a patch as one antenna, on the RFD900 and a dipole on the other and have diversity between the two?
How are you powering the RFD900?
I'm powering my ground RFD900 off the USB port on my Macbook Pro. The FTDI cable does this for me. I haven't gone out far enough to run a RFD900 on the plane. IF I did I'd provide power from a BEC.

The RFD standalone I don't believe has an antenna that comes with it. The kit I ordered came with two 3 dBi antenna. I'll run those when I'm not going far. JoshW ran his out to about 5 miles on a RFD900 with 3dBi stock antenna setup and a RFD900u on the plane.

http://store.jdrones.com/915Mhz_3dbi...-9153dbi01.htm

-- or -

http://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenn...-duck-antennas

When I ran the patch I had the 8 dBi patch on one port and the 3dBi antenna on the other one. This was to cover both flights up close and going out far. In the direction the antenna was pointed in. When you look at the radiation pattern of the 8dBi patch antenna.. You almost have to ask yourself if you really need the extra antenna on the ground.

I think the proof in the pudding was when I connected to a 3dR telemetry unit 1-1/2 miles away with a RFD900 and stock antenna.. This was using a 3dR telemetry unit sitting in a plane on a table 3 feet off the ground. I then drove up a hill in a urban environment where I could still see the field my plane was sitting in. I was able to lower the power on the RFD900 to 200mw and had the ability to see 'Connecting to MavLINK' on my screen every time. I was lucky to get a half mile with two 3dR telemetry units with high gain antenna and on the highest 100mw settings.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:19 PM
aka JoshW, damightyj
Joined Jun 2013
214 Posts
Quote:
Beam width is 75 degrees horizontal and 65 degrees vertical.
Wow I was sure we had more than that! Either way, its still plenty. Point in the general direction and go..
Old Nov 16, 2014, 07:34 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
Is the 900u available in the US?
Event 38 has them...
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old Nov 16, 2014, 07:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
Event 38 has them...

NO they have the old RDF900 but NOT the new RDF900u that I can find???????????????????????????

http://www.event38.com/SearchResults...&Submit=Search

Old Nov 17, 2014, 08:25 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
NO they have the old RDF900 but NOT the new RDF900u that I can find???????????????????????????

http://www.event38.com/SearchResults...&Submit=Search

You might call or email them. As I understand it, they were supposed to get some in.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg