SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Yippee!
3M Big Boy DS at the Rock. Video

This 116" 3 meter plane was built by a master builder. He built it from scratch starting from the mold for fuselage and up. It was precisely built.

It was conventionally built quite some time ago, pre-DS era design. Foam core, balsa sheeted wing and tail. But very strong and heavy. I named it "Big Boy".

The seller who built it is more interested in building planes rather than flying. The plane was little used, almost in new condition.

I bought it on Sunday, installed radio on Monday and took it out to the Rock on Tuesday yesterday for test flying.

I found both flaps were wired together to one channel and one servo included servo reverser, indicating electronics was installed before computer radios appeared.

Flight was very stable, graceful and accurately responded to control.
After minor adjustment on the front side of the hill, the plane dived into the back side for dynamic soaring. Winds were from ENE 20MPH.

It drew big circles in graceful manner. It flew steady like a rock and little control input was necessary. It flew almost by itself. I have learned the bigger the plane the better.

Don't ask me how fast. I am not a speed freak. I am satisfied if the plane flies in graceful circle.
Airfoil has camber built in, which indicates it is designed for soaring, not for speed.

See Video here:
BIG BOY DS at Rock .wmv (1 min 16 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post20845157
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Last edited by John Kim; Feb 25, 2012 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts