Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Give it a shot!
dbone is offline Find More Posts by dbone
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:17 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
Yep, it's working... great tune playing, nice solo time launching. The last one looked faster than the others. Great video Donnie.
Good job man, are you getting another Polaris? if so what layup?... Can I get the launch blades....lol I've got a lightweight one coming with servos molded ... need to check with the Bruce about that soon.
Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:19 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,157 Posts
T-shirt and shorts. Sheesh.

Good job on your first video!

John
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Donnie,
has it finished uploading completely? the link exists before the video is completely converted. it takes a little while for youtube to convert a video (sometimes half hour or so).

EDIT: doesnt matter anymore. wow, i type super slow

i was out today with the Polaris for the first time since BSoAZ. Hugh was out too with his. we had a great time. the conditions were not great, wind was blowing about 10-13mph but there was plenty of lift. i was experimenting with how far i could range and realized that with my Polaris empty at just shy of 10oz, my comfort zone was much farther than the range at which the Polaris was able to return. i came up short more than i wanted, but not by a huge amount, maybe about 10% short. i added about 30gr of ballast and was much happier with the results. the plane could travel about 20% farther upwind than empty and the climb rate was not hindered at all. i was pretty happy with it but learned that this plane likes ballast before i generally would add it. just another dimension i need to explore.

Mattias, Jonas, and Jonas, when are you guys adding ballast and how much? i know that ballast is more a function of the thermal activity than wind, but assuming the lift is still there, when do you add ballast and how much do you add? the heavy layup would have been a good idea today. i want one of those. i saw and felt my wing flex more than i wanted today. i didnt feel confident unloading on launch today.

what is the fabric you use for the light and heavy layup?
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:22 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDLG View Post
Yep, it's working... great tune playing, nice solo time launching. The last one looked faster than the others. Great video Donnie.
Good job man, are you getting another Polaris? if so what layup?... Can I get the launch blades....lol I've got a lightweight one coming with servos molded ... need to check with the Bruce about that soon.
Eric
I will be getting another on the next shipment, send me your info Eric and I will ship you the blades.
Donnie
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:29 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
Okay, I want one now
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:39 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Nice video Donnie. I enjoyed it. Thanks! Love watching your lazy relaxed throwing style...
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:39 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Paul, it seems to be complete as far as I can tell.

Please provide more info about flex in the wind. I can tell you that I was flying in 10 to 15 and did not hold back on launch. I could feel some flex but nothing more than normal. I do understand what your saying about ballast, I too feel that it wants it sooner than my other planes. But that has not given me any problem when trying to get home and you guys know how far downwind I like to run. I did get the nickname "Downwind Donnie" for nothing!

Buy the way I have an F3B Winch!
Donnie
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:51 PM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Nice video Donnie. I enjoyed it. Thanks! Love watching your lazy relaxed throwing style...
Funny you say that Mike, I have not seen my launch all that much before today. Watching the video I noticed that it looks slow and kind of lame but I was putting the wood to a few of them. Do I look that lazy in contests? Do my Tits giggle?
Donnie
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:21 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,048 Posts
works for me
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:55 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Donnie,
I think with big launches in high winds, the wing twists and bleeds off speed. I want a layup with more torsional rigidity to see if launch improves in high winds. If I backed off the launch a little bit I was getting about the same heights which indicates the wing is twisting from aero-loads. Let me know how your heavy layup goes. This is no complaint of the plane, it just means I was not flying the right plane for the conditions. I still love my Polaris!
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:15 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,498 Posts
I have a stobel V2 rtf 265grams, jr digis ele & rud. Ballast & bags, Anyone wanna swap for a nib polaris ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:27 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone View Post
Funny you say that Mike, I have not seen my launch all that much before today. Watching the video I noticed that it looks slow and kind of lame but I was putting the wood to a few of them. Do I look that lazy in contests? Do my Tits giggle?
Donnie
Whatever it is, I like it (maybe it's the giggling T's LOL)! All I know is you can launch with the best of them, and I like your swing. The best always make it look like they are hardly trying.
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:48 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
Donnie,
has it finished uploading completely? the link exists before the video is completely converted. it takes a little while for youtube to convert a video (sometimes half hour or so).

EDIT: doesnt matter anymore. wow, i type super slow

i was out today with the Polaris for the first time since BSoAZ. Hugh was out too with his. we had a great time. the conditions were not great, wind was blowing about 10-13mph but there was plenty of lift. i was experimenting with how far i could range and realized that with my Polaris empty at just shy of 10oz, my comfort zone was much farther than the range at which the Polaris was able to return. i came up short more than i wanted, but not by a huge amount, maybe about 10% short. i added about 30gr of ballast and was much happier with the results. the plane could travel about 20% farther upwind than empty and the climb rate was not hindered at all. i was pretty happy with it but learned that this plane likes ballast before i generally would add it. just another dimension i need to explore.

Mattias, Jonas, and Jonas, when are you guys adding ballast and how much? i know that ballast is more a function of the thermal activity than wind, but assuming the lift is still there, when do you add ballast and how much do you add? the heavy layup would have been a good idea today. i want one of those. i saw and felt my wing flex more than i wanted today. i didnt feel confident unloading on launch today.

what is the fabric you use for the light and heavy layup?
paul
Ballast is soo much depending on your flying style, and ability to throw good with a heavy glider. But the "legs" improve alot more than the min sink suffers, so one can barly go wrong adding ballast in thermal conditions.

I add in steps of 15g. I always start when is blows around 3 m/s, 6.5mph. For those conditions you had I would have a AUW of ~315g. For myself I would use the version of the Polaris you were using. No need for a even stronger wing before the wind is really howling...I have used this type of wings for +20mph of winds with good results.

I'll give you the tip of the day...take down the speed when coming home from downwind in high winds. (if ballasted heavy try also 0,5mm flap, down) When I changed to the Polaris I sometimes came home with to high speed and loosing height. Don't over dive... let the glider go in a slightly shallower path. Try this and see if you get any other results. It amazed me, when I changed my flying style, that I still came home, this with some heights left! I promise...this baby got legs!!!

You say that you notice wingflex...this on a stiffer wing than what you prior have had, or? If thats the case I would say the "old" gliders flexed but you didn't notice it. Now a stifferwing gets you reacting. Can it be like this? When I throw anything not fullcarbon I get a mushy feeling...much the opposite to what I tried to explain.

A stiff wing is also good to understand if one is twisting the wrist during launch. Excellent way of getting that smooth release from the peg is to throw a fullcarbon wing.

Last..not jealous at all on the weather you are having...here it is moist, foggy, 5 degrees. SUMMER were are you!

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004