SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Discussion
Blade msr needs mucho aileron trim

I've been flying my new Blade msr for a few days now, and it recently developed a tendency to require major left aileron. Usually I have to max out the aileron trim to the left (on a DX6i), and give it a bit more with the stick while flying as well. A few times this tendency improved itself, then came back. Any ideas?
Mickmeister is offline Find More Posts by Mickmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:22 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Possible causes:

Unseated swashplate hub, unseated main drive gear, 5-in-1 board shifted on its mounting points, bent servo link or swashplate arm...
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Oct 07, 2010, 12:51 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,115 Posts
Also try using the red Calibration Tool to align the Swashplate's positioning on the Main Shaft.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:27 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Also try using the red Calibration Tool to align the Swashplate's positioning on the Main Shaft.
The tool doesn't align the plate's position on the shaft. It 's used to press an un-seated swashplate and hub back together. That's the trouble with the tool, everyone says to "use it", but nobody seems to know how--

Insert the tool, put two fingers under the back of the swashplate, put your thumb on top of the blade grips, and SQUEEZE. You'll feel it move or click if something useful happened.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 12:37 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
There doesn't seem to be anything bent or shifted (other than the msr's "normal" out-of-wack rotor mast alignment). I'll give the blade adjuster thing a try; I won't have time til tomorrow. I did get a chance to try connecting the battery BEFORE inserting it into the holder rather than after - then waiting for the heli to initialize before inserting it into the holder. I thought maybe the heli had been initializing while I was holding it at a wierd angle to insert the battery. But that didn't change anything.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
I used the swashplate adjuster thingy on it and that did the job - and fixed other trim problems as well. I had tried that earlier and it didn't work, but I might not have been using it right - thanks for the good advice on using the tool.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 04:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,115 Posts
I've gotten to the point that I've learned to keep the mSR fling smoothly, and if something is wrong after a minor crash, I will notice the difference in the next flight. I have found in about half of the crashes (even minor ones), the red tool "straightens" things out and helps reduce TBE or a change in trim/drift. So now, after even a minor crash, I automatically use the Red Calibration Tool as a matter of habit cause it only takes about 2 seconds. I've noticed the smoother the mSR flies the more relaxed and enjoyment I get.

I have a lot of How to Inspect/Tune/Bend Procedures on my RCG Blog page that I have found to help make the mSR fly smoothly.

Best wishes
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:40 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
The swashplate hub is designed to separate in a crash. Thhsi protects the servos from damage. Glad I could help...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:39 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
i812 - Could you post a link to that blog? I'd like to check it out.

hydro_pyro - Are you familiar with technique outlined in the John Salt e-book "Getting the most out of your Blade mSR" for gluing the two swashplate halves together so they can't separate? Just wondering what your take on this is. It sounded like a good idea at first, but if it's designed to separate in a crash as you say, then I dunno...
Old Oct 12, 2010, 09:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,115 Posts
RCG User Blogs can be accessed by clicking on the User Name.

My RCG Blog can be accessed by clicking on "i812" located at the top left corner of this post.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Got it...thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:39 PM
Flower Mound, TX
Joined Apr 2004
311 Posts
I was just starting to think that maybe my 5-in-1 was getting a little hinky when I saw this thread. I used the hub tool and gave it a pretty good press and it did seem to improve things though a few clicks of right aileron trim are still required. The MSR is about 6 months old but everything above the swash has been replaced at least once and the parts are in good order. I was thinking about trying the aluminum swash and blade grips from MH. Has everyone had good luck with them? What are the the signs that a 5-in-1 is bad or going bad? BTW the 180 mah Thunder Power cells are great and a bargain at 8.99 or so.
Mike
nunz15 is offline Find More Posts by nunz15