HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
806 Posts
If I remember Well Ibcrazy got 3000 feet when he tried his Moxon + Vee and did not forget his mobile phone in the pocket.

But I do agree that the Bob system does not seem to work good on the Top range channels (I personaly use 1080Mhz and had problems with 1160Mhz)

Here the infos confirming the above (3000' and Less power on 1280Mhz)
iacei is offline Find More Posts by iacei
Last edited by iacei; Jul 26, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:59 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
He did, but that is not a stock setup any more, and with the stock setup he only got about 1000' Of course you can get better range with a yagi, patch, or a dish but if you can't get decent distance with the stock setup why bother? I would rather have one that works well to begin with so any additions I make maximize range, not just compensate for poor performance.

I got slighly better range with a V, but I was expecting up to 5000' with the stock antennas like others reported getting with both BOB and Sunsky.

I have tried 4 channels, from the lowest 1010 mhz to the highest which is 1280 on BOB. I will have to do more testing but so far I have best luck with something in between, ch 4 1120. BUT, I will have to test more as I have tried some different locations so test results are a little inconsistent.

As far as the mobile phone thing, I wonder how much it alters the distance. I would really like to know.

Anyways, I am not meaning to argue the quality of the BOB or Sunsky. I have only the BOB, and have not performed or seen anyone else perform a head-to-head comparison of the BOB, LM, and Sunsky. I really appreciate you compling the info and was just wondering if the LM really was noticeably the best of the 3 choices.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:09 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Derek,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235870

Mat

ps Also take a look here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=74
up to post #77
masam54 is offline Find More Posts by masam54
Last edited by masam54; Jul 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:24 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Masam, thanks for those test results. (Did you swithc hte threads you wnted us to look at?) Even though they are very subjective, it is nice to see someone's opinion after testing them in a controlled way.
I'm glad you have concluded that the Rx's are the same, how did you decide? By appearance, or thorough testing? I am just curious if QC is the difference, not components (as mentioned by someone else)?

Anyways, what do you think about the Txs? they are obiously different in appearance, but I wonder if there are any real performance differences?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:54 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
No, I didn't switched the thread, just added the additional one on the manufacturer.
I think all tests I've seen on this forum are pretty subjective, I'm not an electronics or comms engineer (mechanical actually). Jumping to conclusions based on a single sample is not really responsible,
Based on what I've read in this forum on the Fox 12ch (NOT the 15ch!) digital rx, the few that I own (works with my Oracle) , from friends, and that quite a few FPV vendors (even HobbyCity/HK) are now selling them, IMO they are pretty good. I dont know what QA/QC they have at the factory,

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/manu...cs_Co_Ltd.html

As far as the tx, they only differ in appearance when the power output is different. I think the older ones uses jumpers for ch selection, the newer ones has digital ch display. The Fox 800mW tx (with digital display) is very good.

Beware, there are these 15ch rx which most of the chinese wholesale sites sells, which confuses some people to think they are the same as the Fox 12ch,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=620

I personally have no experience with these.

Mat
masam54 is offline Find More Posts by masam54
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:31 PM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masam54 View Post
Derek,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235870

Mat

ps Also take a look here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=74
up to post #77
Thanks for the link, I was looking for it, it confirms my tests. Will add to front page
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:58 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,682 Posts
its the video rx's that make the video good or poor

I have tested 7 of them and found two to be really good
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:56 AM
France
Joined May 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyon13 View Post
Nobody is talking about this one ?
http://www.dinodirect.com/1-2GHz-Min...0.html?cur=EUR
It's fixed on 1080mhz.
I've ordered one, hope to have it in a week
Ok, so i tried it today.
Very light weight less than 10gr, clear video and very resistant to rf noise from my esc.
But, the biggest problem is : the range. With stable 10volts (output power should be 800mw) i've got only 400 meters
I'll check all my settings to be sure there is nothing wrong.

If i can't get a good range i won't use it with my regular plane, but that's still a good deal for a small plane, little parkflyer, maybe indoor, etc...
Alcyon13 is offline Find More Posts by Alcyon13
Old Jul 28, 2010, 04:33 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
The BOB fades at 1000' for me very badly, as it did for him. I get a lot of interference here in the city, too, which is not entirely the BOBs fault but could be intensified by a presumed poor receiver sensitivity of the BOB. I have not yet dared to find the limit of my 900 sytem, but I have gone at least 2000' on 500mw.
Try a pair of known good antennas on the frequency you need. Borrow them for a test if you can.

My BOB FOX-700 goes farther than my old Century VII PCM (0.85 miles). It was really pleased from the start. I run both stock antennas vertically, and put the receiver 2.5m up on a PVC pole.

I ordered a couple 912mhz FOX-800 systems and had horrible problems. They would work to about 1000 feet and would go completely out when I banked to come back from 1000 feet. To make a long story short, it was the antennas. I confirmed that they were 1.3G antennas that came with my new 912mhz systems because they worked well on my 1280mhz system. I spent some time looking on eBay and found some bazooka dipoles on 915mhz and now the 912mhz systems work perfectly. I would borrow some known good antennas and retry you BOB system with those (and the setup I described above). If you buy antennas, make sure they are bazooka dipoles; that is the kind with a thicker tube bottom half and a thinner tube top half and a taper in between.

Quote:
Another discussion on BOB is that it has an F type RF connector, 75ohm, where most of use use SMA.
Only the receiver has an F connector. I think all receivers of this type have an F connector? My stock BOB came with two identical antennas except that one had an F connector for the receiver and the other had an SMA for the transmitter. For my 912mhz systems I got a good deal on 2 SMA antennas on 915mhz so I bought an SMA to F adapter for my F receiver. It seems to work fine.

Turn down your audio before watching this video...

Cliff

Perfect video on BOB with stock antennas to limit of RC range at 0.85 miles = 1.4km
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; Jul 28, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:57 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
My other 'Chinese' unit has a SMA on the Rx, and I believe also DPCAV and Lawmate Rxs are SMA, but I am not 100% sure. I think most sold my FPV shops must be SMA, because almost all patch antennas I see from FPV shops have SMA connectors. I think maybe the BOB and perhaps Sunsky are among some of the few here that are F type.

This maybe isnt a huge deal if you just use a connector (RC Cam mentioned on my multipath post) but IBCrazy seems convinced he is getting a lot of loss through it. It may not be a big deal if you just order antenans that have the F connector to begin with, but you might have to source them elswhere, not fpv shops.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:59 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Just as an example I ordered 2 8db patches for 1.2 from NG Hobbies and they both came SMA. I did not think to ask for F type. I am waiting on my adapters from ebay for more testing to see if th patches get me a signal I can be confident with.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:42 AM
Croatia
Joined Jun 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Just as an example I ordered 2 8db patches for 1.2 from NG Hobbies and they both came SMA. I did not think to ask for F type. I am waiting on my adapters from ebay for more testing to see if th patches get me a signal I can be confident with.
Derek try to make on transmitter 1/2 or 1/4 lambda, work 3 times better als stock antenna, and you can set 1/2 lambda or rc-cam patch on receiver, range is 3 and transmitter is colder

I have tx from Sunsky, 1,3GHz 800mw, have longer range with stock antennas than some ebay 2W videotx, one friend have this, after 500m start losing signal
DavorVZ is offline Find More Posts by DavorVZ
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:44 AM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
The Sunsky 1.3Ghz tx/rx 400mw kit is solid. The test was in my building, I started at the bottom with the rx and moved my tx to the 11th floor rooftop and I was still able to see through all the floors using an 8dbi patch antenna pointing up.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:02 AM
Luxembourg
Joined May 2009
806 Posts
Antenna tuning is important that's the conclusion.
The Bob Works good stock is you use 1280Mhz otherwise, change antennas.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:06 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2007
856 Posts
Hello

Dose any one test this link set

1.2GHz 1500mw from Sunsky

http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/13...6+receiver.htm
Talajouy is offline Find More Posts by Talajouy