HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2010, 03:02 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Discussion
9303 mix-switch differing aileron-rudder coupling

After watching the Secrets of Thermal Soaring with David Hobby video and reading some of Daryl Perkins setup info, I'm wondering if there is a way to set up differing aileron-rudder coupling amounts and possibly differing differential amounts on the "mix switch" of a 9303. I know these can be assigned to the flight modes, but I would rather have high/low settings programmed to the "mix switch" for high/low capability.

Thanks, Todd
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:28 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
If you don't want to do it through the flight modes, you could set up a mix to add to the coupling mixer ... set master to aileron and slave to rudder, then choose a switch to activate it and set your additional mix that way.

Example: Pos0: 0% Pos1: 20%

This way, when you move whatever switch you assigned to this mix to Pos1, you will get an additional 20% Ail -> Rud mix. Pos0 would have no effect on the primary mix.

You could subtract from the primary mix as well, just be careful since you could possibly result in opposite mixes with large amounts in the mix or with small amounts in the primary aileron-rudder mix.

You could probably do the same for Differential, but it would take two mixes to do it, one mix for each turn direction. Probably more trouble than it would be worth for Diff. It's a lot easier to set up different differential settings using the flight modes.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:37 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Thanks TK, that's exactly the tip I think I needed. I'll try it out and post back here how it works.

With regard to different differential settings in flight modes, would you add or subtract differential in Speed mode? I don't use a Thermal flight mode (I vary camber a few degrees via the left side lever), but for those viewers that do use a Thermal flight mode, would you add or subtract differential in Thermal mode?

Todd
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:18 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,344 Posts
Aileron to camber type mix. I don't recall what yoiu mix aileron into. Mix curve will look like a V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs View Post
With regard to different differential settings in flight modes, would you add or subtract differential in Speed mode?

Todd
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:57 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
mlachow, I think you are mistaken here. With the 9303, the differential values are explicitly displayed on screen for each of the flight modes and for both the ailerons and the flaps. And they are just as easily changed. The question was should the values be higher or lower for the surfaces when in Thermal mode or in Speed mode relative to Cruise mode.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,344 Posts
I thought you wanted to change them without using flight modes with a mixer.

I really don't change things much between flight modes and use very little differential. Some pilots like a little more differential in thermal mode.

Aileron to rudder is definitely higher in thermal mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs View Post
mlachow, I think you are mistaken here. With the 9303, the differential values are explicitly displayed on screen for each of the flight modes and for both the ailerons and the flaps. And they are just as easily changed. The question was should the values be higher or lower for the surfaces when in Thermal mode or in Speed mode relative to Cruise mode.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Apr 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
... would you add or subtract differential in Speed mode?

I reduce/subtract from the DIFF in SPEED mode since the flight speed is higher, the down-moving aileron isn't as much of a drag issue as it is at thermal or poke n' float speeds. It isn't a big change, though.

On my 6.6 meter Nimbus 4, I use very little differential in any flight mode, but then we're talking a loooong, skinnnny wing with skinny surfaces. It also isn't much of a poke n' floater, either

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev